Can it fly without compass?

Loz

Reaction score
I’m having a brain freeze here. My gut tells me (say 3 or 4) Phantom can’t be flown (even manually) without compass working - but I’m struggling with why?? It would still hover I’m thinking, so what’s preventing one to say bring home visually land in ATTI mode? Thanks

The one time I had a compass failure with my P4 (original) was early on in my flying, and even though I knew better, I took off from the roof of my car. Everything was fine at takeoff, but then it went bad once in flight with multiple errors indicating a compass issue and then forced ATTI mode.

I did have full control over the copter, but the wind did too, and this was my first time being forced into ATTI mode, and thankfully, I was able to get it down into the grass unscathed before it hit a tree.

This incident is the reason why I recommend practicing in ATTI mode on a regular basis. It should not be something to fear, especially if forced into it for any number of reasons that this can occur. In my experience, the copter will fly just fine without compass inputs, but it really will not know where it is in the sense of both location and the direction it is going. It becomes completely blind and unaware.

Thanks - yes I can and do fly ATTI periodically so I can if bird looses GPS as you say. I imagine but not sure, that loosing compass not GPS in flight just means it doesn’t know where it’s pointing, but (again I’m guessing) it doesn’t need to, to fly - so Manual control as you did would work just fine like ATTI mode.. have read others say it can’t fly, I’m not convinced

It may not be able to takeoff if the error is generated prior to takeoff, but in my case, it all happened after takeoff as I was climbing.

Reactions: Loz
Compass error before take off will not let you start motor. Tested this awhile back with P4P obsidian and a magnetic ipad case as a takeoff point. I did not however tested it with the ATTI switch on before take off. It will not work is my guess even if ATTi is switched on because it will go through its own preflight diagnostic and will not let you start motors. My P4P is over a year old and even after all this test with the compass, I have never have to re calibrate compass.

Yes thanks, I agree, I am specifically (but didn’t make it clear) interested if one looses compass (ie fails) whilst in flight - can AC still be controlled / brought home and landed?

Yes thanks, I agree, I am specifically (but didn’t make it clear) interested if one looses compass (ie fails) whilst in flight - can AC still be controlled / brought home and landed?
FWIW, I’ve had weird compass anomalies when out flying over a golf course one time and whilst the prompts on the app annoyed me, it was still under full control, albeit a bit sluggish and I landed it fine. I fly racing drones all the time with no assistance from either gps or a compass and as long as it is in line of sight or in range with my goggles, not a problem.

I’m having a brain freeze here. My gut tells me (say 3 or 4) Phantom can’t be flown (even manually) without compass working - but I’m struggling with why?? It would still hover I’m thinking, so what’s preventing one to say bring home visually land in ATTI mode? Thanks
Hello, I know it was a really old post but have you got the solution to fly without the compass? my P3P compass connector fell off from the motherboard and on pad on the board was peeled off at the same time, I want to check if the motor or ESC is in good condition, but the drone can't start.

Hello, I know it was a really old post but have you got the solution to fly without the compass? my P3P compass connector fell off from the motherboard and on pad on the board was peeled off at the same time, I want to check if the motor or ESC is in good condition, but the drone can't start.

'my P3P compass connector fell off from the motherboard and on pad on the board was peeled off at the same time" Exact same problem....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik