Can i tether from my Cellphone data to iPad mini 4 Using Foxfi.

Reaction score
Can i tether from my Cellphone data to iPad mini 4 Using Foxfi at the field,I have unlimited data with VZ,Will this work.I don't have Verizon tethering i tether using Foxfi,Presently using my Galaxy Note 4 but Screen to small,And want to purchase an iPad Mini 4,PS should i get a cellular IpadMini4.

I'll let someone out there disagree ... but IMO ..... The ONLY reason to be on WIFI (cellular or otherwise) in the field is to LIVE STREAM. And Live Streaming is challenging at best still from a Drone, I have tried the options and even non GO apps like SkyTubeLive and getting a good signal that you can get good upload throughput is just difficult, period. Most of the support for them will tell you that you need to use Cellular directly as the general belief is that WIFI tends to interfere with the signals from the Drone to the controller, thus interfering in the LIVE stream...So, if really going down that path then get a cellular capable tablet.....

however

My recommendation is that unless you are purposefully planning to Live Stream something and NOT MOVE THE DRONE A LOT (I am not aware of WIDE SPREAD LIVE Drone usage) Thus, Then use as good a tablet (IPAD or Android) as you can and use it in AIRPLANE mode so that it is not using any transmitters and you are HARD Connected to the controller.

In My opinion that is the safest and most secure way to fly, in the long run.

Hope this helps.
Ron

The iPadMini won't have GPS if you buy the wifi only version. Only cellular models have GPS, useful if you plan to use "follow me" or reset the homepoint after the drone has left home, such as moving your location in the boat, etc. IMO, having an iPad Mini with WiFi only is a nuisance. There's enough other things to do when flying, I don't like adding to that, having to connect to your hotspot to get maps, or cache maps at home, etc. It's just another hassle and something to go wrong, IMO. Although it costs $10/mo to connect my iPad to my Verizon data plan, to me it's worth it.

I've never used Foxfi, nor have I heard of it before. Please try it out with a friend's iPad and see, then let us know how it does? If it does what their website says, it should work.

Another reason to provide internet to the tablet being used with the RC is live map data.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl