Can I install a mini winch to my Phantom 4 pro?

Reaction score
Hello all, I would like to know is it possible to install/ apply a mini winch ( RC car use) to my Phantom 4 pro?
As I am an employee with a environment monitor team, and our team duties mainly focusing on the algae.
We are now planing to deploy our drone for water sampling if there is a Harmful Algae Bloom in coastal area, and it seems it is not a good idea to attach our sampler with a long rope (swing and losing balance).
And we realize there is some functional mini winch in RC car, so we would like to know if it is possible grafting the winch to our drone?

Thank You

As long as the total weight of the winch and load doesn’t go over a couple lbs, it should work. Just be sure that the load is centered between the legs and disable the landing sensors. Anything blocking the sensor will stop decent and may make the drone climb uncontrollably. Would recommend a release mechanism in case of entanglement. Some work by simple tension and others release by turning on the drone lights. I use them for fishing with P4s. Good luck

PS, battery time will drop considerably with a load

Keep in mind that all DJI Drones are designed to provide consistent lift and stability to that drone's weight. Anything you attach, or try to lift creates drag, which exponentially adds additional weight, on the drones flight and puts un-designed strain on your motors and the craft's stability.

Add-on
An inexpensive fishing outrigger clip has adjustable tension, is very lightweight, and can be used inline under the winch. Will release the load automatically if caught on anything. GLTY

Keep in mind that all DJI Drones are designed to provide consistent lift and stability to that drone's weight. Anything you attach, or try to lift creates drag, which exponentially adds additional weight, on the drones flight and puts un-designed strain on your motors and the craft's stability.
Phantoms are beasts and handle loads well. Better than any other I’ve seen other than the new Gannets designed for carrying loads. Size of load and winds are the major considerations. I always hang the load at least 10ft below the drone to prevent dangerous pendulum swing.

Following - good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4