Can I fly in Class B and TFR as hobbyist

Reaction score
Next week our city is imploding a 13 story bank that has been an icon here since the early 60's. It's my home town and I have flown this building a number of times. As a long time resident I want to capture this event with my P4. My goal is simple, a block away, go up to 100', wait till it's over and come straight down. This area is right on the bordor of class B. In fact, the north side of the bank isn't class B, the south side is.

So I understand as a hobbyist I can ask permission for this simple flight. However, a press release from the city stated they were going to pursue a TFR to "keep the amateur drones away" which I find a bit insulting but the question is, can a waiver be had for this event? I'm asking because the press release also stated they had hired a film company to capture the event for historical purposes and mentioned they would be using a drone.

Geo

Sorry no you can not fly in any controlled airspace as a hobbyist currently the FAA will be allowing it later thru LAANC after you pass some kind of knowledge test and in a TFR not allowed at all

So the hired filming company can because he is licensed?
Also, if the stated TFR was just a deterrent and it doesn’t materialize, am I still out of luck?

Geo

Last edited:
If it's in a class B airspace you are still out of luck & yes if they are licensed and have waiver from the FAA they can Legally fly

So the hired filming company can because he is licensed?
Also, if the stated TFR was just a deterrent and it doesn’t materialize, am I still out of luck?

Geo

No - not just because the film company is licensed (that would be necessary but not sufficient). The point is that the city is the TFR controlling agency and presumably wants the film company to fly, and so will authorize them into the TRF. They are not going to authorize other private pilots (recreational or Part 107) if they explicitly requested the TFR to keep those flights out.

Since one side of the building is not in class B airspace, if it is in class G or class E above 700 feet could he find out how big the TFR is have an area and possibly film this from farther away?

Since one side of the building is not in class B airspace, if it is in class G or class E above 700 feet could he find out how big the TFR is have an area and possibly film this from farther away?

There will be a NOTAM for the TFR - that will have the details.

simple answer is no
Neither can the film company weather they have a 107 or not if there’s a TFR in effect

In the USA... Incorrect.

This (with such emphasis added):

"A TFR is a regulatory action issued via the U.S. Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) system to restrict certain aircraft from operating within a defined area, on a temporary basis, to protect persons or property in the air or on the ground."

Can be found here:

How would I look for a TFR. The looking I've done so far don't show one. How much notice is typically given? Set for July 21.

Bank address...
1001 Southmore
Pasadena, TX 77502

Geo

Last edited:
Try ‘ tfr.faa.gov ‘ Advance notice of TFR/NOTAM ‘s vary depending on scope of coverage, whether a special event or Presidential TFR’s. The duration of these TFR’s vary also.

Just keep checking in to this website and TFR map for updates. Hope this helps.

simple answer is no
Neither can the film company weather they have a 107 or not if there’s a TFR in effect

Whew that's quite a bold statement and unfortunately it's VERY incorrect.

The "requesting agency" can very much allow an aircraft (unmanned, manned, space craft etc) to fly within their TFR. While it "can" be done it's not easy and requires a lot of coordination and verification. Odds are if the town/agency has hired a sUAS service provider to document this they have a huge leg up on everyone else and would be even more reluctant to allow another sUAS to operate in their TFR.

@Geoelectro let's look at a couple of things:

1) As a hobbyist (today and also July21st) there is no mechanism option for a hobbyist to request permission to fly in any "Controlled" airspace other than a designated approved flying site (which this would not be). The mechanism to "request" authorization is well in the works and supposedly

2) The odds of a hobbyist getting permission to fly in any TFR is slim to none and if they have already hired a company to document this for them your odds just went much lower.

Good luck and KUDOS to you for asking and researching ahead of time.

Allen

Guys don’t quote regs to me please
I fly a jet for a living and I know all about TFRs
In fact there was one the other day that I was going to that I had to hold for 45 minutes before I had to divert to another airport
All of the time you have to be on an IFR flight plan and squawking a transponder code to even be considered to be let into a TFR
Exceptions being Necessary personel (air ambulance/ Law enforcement)
Yes while every circumstance is different the answer still remains NO

Guys don’t quote regs to me please
I fly a jet for a living and I know all about TFRs
In fact there was one the other day that I was going to that I had to hold for 45 minutes before I had to divert to another airport
All of the time you have to be on an IFR flight plan and squawking a transponder code to even be considered to be let into a TFR
Exceptions being Necessary personel (air ambulance/ Law enforcement)
Yes while every circumstance is different the answer still remains NO

It doesn't make any difference what you fly, except that if you do fly for a living then it is rather disturbing that you are so misinformed on the operation of TFRs. I have both requested TFRs and flown in TFRs, and the process is relatively simple. In terms of non-emergency traffic inside TFRs - how do you think that aerial coverage of sports events inside TFRs is managed?

Reactions: FlyingGary
One another note
Call your local FSDO and ask them what you would need to do
(And I suggest this strongly)
Like all government agencies their interpretation of the REGS are different
It doesn’t hurt to set up an appointment with them and talk to them about what you do
Trust me this will keep you out of trouble because they are the ones governing your area and it doesn’t hurt for them to know you

It doesn't make any difference what you fly, except that if you do fly for a living then it is rather disturbing that you are so misinformed on the operation of TFRs. I have both requested TFRs and flown in TFRs, and the process is relatively simple. In terms of non-emergency traffic inside TFRs - how do you think that aerial coverage of sports events inside TFRs is managed?
Waivers
Plain and simple

Waivers
Plain and simple
Waivers
Plain and simple
im not getting into a [Edited by Moderator] contest with anyone here, geoelectro.7707 simply asked if he can fly in class B airspace and a TFR from the get go
The simple answer is NO again

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31