Can anyone tell me what the jitter is in my videos?

Reaction score
I have had my P3P for almost a year and have have flown it many times mostly on autonomous flights using the Litchi app for IOS. I have had no crashes or other incidents that might have affected the aircraft's flying ability. I've noticed that in all of the videos I have a subtle jitter in the recording and wondered if anyone has seen that happen. If you look at the following video you can see it. Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be appreciated.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you tried another set of props .I notice the gimbal really vibrating on its mounts when hovering close so I put the second set of props on and the vibration appears to be less
I hadn't noticed anything in the videos though.

I've noticed that in all of the videos I have a subtle jitter in the recording and wondered if anyone has seen that happen. If you look at the following video you can see it. Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be appreciated.
You said that you have noticed the jitter in all of your videos. Has it been that way since it was new? I'm asking because something commonly overlooked with a new P3 is a small piece of foam behind the gimbal. Accidentally leaving that small piece of foam in place results in a jitter similar to what is in your video.

I know it's a long shot and I realize that's not the only reason for jitter, but it's something easy to check.

Good luck sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
My P3P has done that a couple of times, usually when I try to start up with the gimbal clamp on or in high grass, causing a minute obstruction to the gimble at power-up.
Mine will continue to do it until I land it and power the drone and the rc off and then back on. without the obstruction.

I will try that and see if it makes any difference. This jitter has been like this for quite a while although I looked at some of my first flight videos and did not see it as pronounced as it is today. When I first got my P3P I added a camera guard that snaps into the space between the skids. Thinking that may be the problem I removed it and flew again but nothing changed. I'm still within the warranty period and may send it in.

Last edited:
'This video is private'

I think the first thing to establish is whether you're seeing visible shaking at idle or in the air. Looked like yaw-based vibration from the first vid, which kinda points to props. I suspect that the original props (I use the carbon reinforced ones now) can take a set if not stored perfectly flat between flights, which is enough to cause vibration since they aren't coplanar on this thing. It was the only way I could explain varying levels of vibration from the same set of props on different flights

Thanks, I will put a new set on and try it again. I have a Pelican style case that lets me store the aircraft with the props on so maybe they are getting bent enough to make a difference. I also calibrated the IMU and gimbal to see if that makes a difference.

Have you Calibrated the R/C and the Gimbal, and the Gimbal Thumb Wheel on the R/C?

Btw, I also want to point out it is possible that the lens is loose in the camera. I have seen where they have had a missing rubber seal that the front of the lens is suppose to rest against. If it is not in there, it can allow the lens to have movement and produce the same effects seen in the video.

If that seal is missing it's a manufacturing defect. My P3P has been totally pampered and has never crashed or experienced any other trauma. I always have a gimbal guard on the camera when it's not being used.

I did calibrate the gimbal but I'm not familiar with the thumb wheel calibration. Is that in the manual. For whatever it's worth, I mainly fly Litchi missions in case Litchi has anything to do with this. I will fly it tomorrow with both apps to see if there is any improvement after the calibrations and a new set of props that have not been stored on the drone in the case.

Last edited:
Litchi has been known to cause some issues recently but it seems to be associated with one or two firmware versions. The most recent updated litchi app seems to be good so far.

The thumb wheel calibration is right in the same place as the stick calibration. It's easy to miss but is right below the other.

Btw, the calibrations will likely not cure your issue, but it does help show us what precautions you have taken before posting here.

Keep in mind most of the input received has to be a guess when all the details are not known. Such as, how long has this been happening. So far what all has been checked and tried to fix before now...ect.

Everything calibrated, new props, no change in the results I sent it off on a test flight this morning and the jitter was still there as it has been for a while. I think I will open a warranty claim with DJI before it expires.

I got my P3P at the end of last year and flew it a few times but then did not do much flying Jan-Mar as I was away from home. My early flights were nothing fancy but I did post the videos on YouTube and they don't show the jitter. Most all my flights since then were using the Litchi app and mainly waypoint missions.

Last edited:
Taking a very "out of the box" guess here (hey that's how I roll) but could it be that these white rubbery shock absorber things may have got stiff with dirt over time and not as spongy as they once we're?
8375649c319c1bb4e51795d8386684a9.jpg

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have had my P3P for almost a year and have have flown it many times mostly on autonomous flights using the Litchi app for IOS. I have had no crashes or other incidents that might have affected the aircraft's flying ability. I've noticed that in all of the videos I have a subtle jitter in the recording and wondered if anyone has seen that happen. If you look at the following video you can see it. Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be appreciated.

Check the Go app with the P3 turned on.
What about under the Gimbal Settings > Advanced Settings > Gimbal Tilt EXP or Gimbal tilt Smooth Track.
These may be the settings to keep the gimbal from over/under tracking.
or
There was a thread about this awhile ago when some people were having vibration issues.
Actually it might have been an aircraft adjustment in the Main Controller settings > Advanced Settings > Sensitivity > Attitude. That setting needs to be dialed down a bit.
Maybe someone else will remember. It helped some when there was a visible aircraft vibration while hovering after an earlier update.
Sensitivity.jpg

Taking a very "out of the box" guess here (hey that's how I roll) but could it be that these white rubbery shock absorber things may have got stiff with dirt over time and not as spongy as they once we're?
8375649c319c1bb4e51795d8386684a9.jpg

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

The answer is NO. He has a much different situation.

Check the Go app with the P3 turned on.
What about under the Gimbal Settings > Advanced Settings > Gimbal Tilt EXP or Gimbal tilt Smooth Track.
These may be the settings to keep the gimbal from over/under tracking.
or
There was a thread about this awhile ago when some people were having vibration issues.
Actually it might have been an aircraft adjustment in the Main Controller settings > Advanced Settings > Sensitivity > Attitude. That setting needs to be dialed down a bit.
Maybe someone else will remember. It helped some when there was a visible aircraft vibration while hovering after an earlier update.
View attachment 67583

This was a Very Good post. But likely not one that will help his issue. If it was, we would see members posting about it all the time. Also the advanced settings you referenced are better left alone unless you understand what to expect when a change is made to any of them. The P3 has been out over a Year and a 1/2 now and I can't remember ever seeing anyone post details about the mentioned settings. I have made changes to some of those settings on my aircraft but most are to the Yaw and Brake.

Everything calibrated, new props, no change in the results I sent it off on a test flight this morning and the jitter was still there as it has been for a while. I think I will open a warranty claim with DJI before it expires.

I got my P3P at the end of last year and flew it a few times but then did not do much flying Jan-Mar as I was away from home. My early flights were nothing fancy but I did post the videos on YouTube and they don't show the jitter. Most all my flights since then were using the Litchi app and mainly waypoint missions.

Before you box the A/C up and get it ready to ship you need to find out what the warranty will cover. Not everything is covered a full year. Most parts are only covered up to 6 months.

Before you box the A/C up and get it ready to ship you need to find out what the warranty will cover. Not everything is covered a full year. Most parts are only covered up to 6 months.

Well, that's not very encouraging. I guess I'm basically SOL unless it's an internal main system problem. If it's the camera/gimbal that's past the coverage period. I guess I should at least inquire with them about what the problem might be and what it would cost to fix it.

Well, that's not very encouraging. I guess I'm basically SOL unless it's an internal main system problem. If it's the camera/gimbal that's past the coverage period. I guess I should at least inquire with them about what the problem might be and what it would cost to fix it.

I would search online what is covered.

And here is the best info anyone can give you on this issue.... Once you find out what is going on with the warranty, if it doesn't work out to your favor,....the person you want to get with screen name is "hunch". He owns a shop and is the #1 go to person when it comes to ANY camera or gimbal issues. I will send you a PM with his phone number.

This was a Very Good post. But likely not one that will help his issue. If it was, we would see members posting about it all the time. Also the advanced settings you referenced are better left alone unless you understand what to expect when a change is made to any of them. The P3 has been out over a Year and a 1/2 now and I can't remember ever seeing anyone post details about the mentioned settings. I have made changes to some of those settings on my aircraft but most are to the Yaw and Brake.

Here is another one that helped some people having problems with firmware 1.5 at the beginning of the year. It's a very long vibration thread,
Major Vibrations P3P Nov 28,2015
The final conclusion came from DJI tech support advising people experiencing the issue to downgrade to the previous release, then upgrade again and after do an IMU calibration. It was inferred that settings weren't updated the first time around.
Hey, what's another 45 minutes out of your life at this point?

I would like to see a test with the following conditions. With mild winds, fly upwind away from you that would allow for a ATTI mode drift back to you. The further the better. If you still get shake at that point I would believe that the shake is not coming from the quads propulsion but from the gimbal itself. I think it would help to know.
Good luck.

On another unrelated note, I noticed your RC antennas were pointing in a (V) vs (I I). Has nothing to do with your issue but it will affect your range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JohnnyB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31