Camera and gimbal malfunction

Reaction score
Here is what is going on with my drone. Camera and gimbal will not initialize. As you can see it moves all over and keeps going off and coming on per green, red, orange light on front of gimbal. Changed ribbon cable, adjusted shaft orientation on roll motor so flat of shaft is level with top of camera, changed main gimbal board. DJI go app shows no transmission signal, aircraft disconnected, gimbal not attached or sometimes gimbal overload. Tried IMU and gimbal calibration. Since it never initializes, those don't work to fix problem. I am sure I am missing something else I tried. The aircraft does fly and rc does connect. It's just this camera/ gimbal thing. Pleasehelp!!!!!!

OUCH!!! Kinda hard on the camera? Strange problem!
Have you had a crash or any other abnormal flights that might have lead up to this?
Is the ribbon cable damaged in any way, or partially disconnected?

Yes crash did happen. Gimbal separation in normal place all of them separate, roll motor. I changed the ribbon cable even though the original one was not torn. Still does this.

Wonder if a connector inside the bird has poped loose or partially disconnected?
I am at a loss... sorry to see the problem though.

I'm not sure if you have tried this but if not change out micro sd card. I had problem with no transmission and gimbal not working the way it should. Changed micro sd card and all well. Crazy but worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Looks similar to mine after replacing my black ribbon cable.
Mine was due to me installing the pitch motor shaft into the side of the camera 180° off.
Someone correct me here of I'm wrong, but I believe the pitch motor shaft flat side faces the rear of the drone.

Looks similar to mine after replacing my black ribbon cable.
Mine was due to me installing the pitch motor shaft into the side of the camera 180° off.
Someone correct me here of I'm wrong, but I believe the pitch motor shaft flat side faces the rear of the drone.
Thought so too but if you put screw through flat side doesn't it only go one way or am I wrong?

Thought so too but if you put screw through flat side doesn't it only go one way or am I wrong?
Not really understanding your question.
If my memory serves me, when I got to the point of connecting the camera to the pitch motor shaft, I was fairly certain that the screw enters from the rear hole in the camera housing, and to me it seemed logical that the round side of the pitch motor shaft would also be to the rear so the screw would pull the rounded shaft into the rounded housing, and they would nest.
Started it up and the gimbal was wonky.
Watched some videos and from what I could tell, I had it wrong. So I took it apart, rotated the pitch motor shaft 180° so that the flat side was facing the rear of the drone, and I still put the screw in, entering from the rear.
I cannot say with 100% certainty that I have the screw in correctly, but if I do, I cannot understand why it would be designed that way.

Edit
Just watched this tutorial:
>>>>LINK REMOVED! sorry, for some reason I can't get a working link here <<<<
which confirms what I am explaining.
If you watch it, scroll forward to 11 minutes where he takes the camera off and reinstalls it.

2nd Edit
I think I just got your question.
Are you asking if the screw can only enter the pitch motor shaft from one side?
No, the screw will thread in from either side.
Just like a bolt/screw with a nut. You can turn the nut around and the screw/bolt will still thread in.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I will watch video too see if mine is correctly attached. Hope this works. This is very frustrating. I haven't had video for over a month now.

If you watch it, scroll forward to 11 minutes where he takes the camera off and reinstalls it.
The video is only about 6 minutes long....

I will jump in here and make a comment. The back side of the camera where the plate is has to be on the flat side of the shaft. If not the gimbal goes wild

Where are you located? i am in central Florida and could check it out for you. No charge for checking. All you have to do is ship it to me. It would take me a couple of days but I can then tell you what you need. PM for the address if you like.

It could be anything from the pitch sensor to the roll sensor. Might even be the roll motor but I think it is a sensor.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik