Calibrating the Phantom 4 Sensors

P2 Vision
P2 Vision Plus
P3 Adv/Pro/4K
P4
Its ironic how the P3 and P4 have vision/visual positioning systems (VPS) yet they have removed the 'VISION' names.

What a load of bollocks that is!
I dont even own a PC or laptop lol
And how often is it recommended you do that calibration I wonder?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You have to point your P4 to your computer monitor to calibrate the tracking system. I wonder if you can just print out a template (like those ink jet printers) to do the calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone backup the video and upload it anywhere else? I would love to see the video but it's private now.

Is it possible to remove the privacy settings on the video so I can view it? Thanks.

It's DJI that changed settings. Unless someone saved it (which it does not appear) we can only wait till DJI changes and makes public again.

That being I would love if someone had a copy or can type in detail what video showed.

That being I would love if someone had a copy or can type in detail what video showed.

Hi - don't have a copy of the video - however on page 21 of the P4 manual there is details on how to calibrate the front cameras, you can find it here Phantom 4 operators manual The compass calibration hasn't changed only the added front camera calibration is new to the P4.

Remember just a few years ago when things were so much simpler?:D
FullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: zacksomeone
From the unfinished manual:
"Obstacles Sensing cameras that installed on landing gear are calibrated on delivery. However these
camera are vulnerable to excessive impact, hence it will require calibration from time to time."

I wonder why someone would post a video in a message and then delete it a couple of days later so that no one can see it?

I looked in the P4 manual on page 21. It shows three steps. 1) point at monitor -- 2) align boxes -- That seems pretty simple.

But in step 3) they say pan and tilt the aircraft. They show the bottom of the aircraft facing the monitor and they no longer show the alignment boxes on the monitor.. Huh? How does this calibrate the front sensors.

jwt, The alignment boxes should still show up. It seems like I had to move the phantom closer to the screen to get the alignment boxes to show up. One interesting note, when I tried to calibrate the sensors on my desktop, it failed every time. However, when I used my laptop I get a successful calibration every time. The only difference I can think of is the aspect ratio of the monitors.

Reactions: jwt873
Thanks for posting the video.. (I've viewed a lot of them but haven't come across that one yet). A picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth ten thousand words :)

OK.. Step three calibrates the downward facing sensors. (That's what confused me). They don't say that in the manual. There is no mention of the downward sensors on the page that describes calibrating the forward sensors.

Reactions: CrimsonPhantom
I keep getting the same error message calibrates fine but when I got to fly message keeps coming back had to send her back to dji [emoji20] they will have her two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's a simple process that only needs to be done when having problems. The one thing to note, is when done with fwd cams, they show you holding the craft, then spinning it sideways, then twisting it so the bottom is towards the monitor.
I've recalibrated both new P4s with no troubles, it's easy and quick, and to be sure, I'm glad to see more calibration procedures, it's better to b able to then have a slight problem that cannot be retro'd

I tried to calibrate the cameras just because the app said I could. Do not know if my P4 needed to be calibrated. Figured out how to hold the drone. Very difficult to line up red and blue boxes. Very difficult. Calibrating forward and downward cameras was even more difficult. Rotating or tilting required to fill up blue thermometers, but the instructions block much of the thermometers so that you can't tell where the cursor is. After going through all of the tilting and scanning successfully, final calibration failed every time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl