Bye bye drone

What tracker do you use?
I use 'PocketFinder' which does not require a SIM card as it has connectivity built in. Many have good results with the TK-102 or similar models, but they DO require a SIM card, usually from a pay as you go cell connection.

Ive done this also and its ok. I had a friend fly his up and over the trees and spotted it easy, paid a tree guy to climb up and get it. Only issue was 2 broke props

Reactions: Tommy1980
LOL - a niche service indeed!

Doubtful however, the Phantom could ever lift it's own weight with the battery installed even if you did manage to hook on to it!. Get out there and buy a bigger drone that can do the job and you're in business - lol!

There is a youtube video of someone lifting a 1.2kg bucket of rocks. It can't weigh much more than that.

Good luck on your hunt today. We are all anxious for you to find it and hear your "find" stories, hopefully with video and photos. Share your adventure~! The P3A SD card video should be interesting when you find it~! Hope you can check your controller tablet for the video, probably on it's SD card. What tablet are you using?

Hi guys
Quick update after spending all day searching my p3a I gave up....
We ( me and my father)
Have the exact radios for searching
Can't find it
You probably know how sad this situation
But ....
Anyway that it
Here is the link for the last flight
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Thank all

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The wind speed is wildly out (I hope!)
Usually that seems to calculate quite accurately.
Not sure if it's relevant to the incident, everything else looks pretty normal though 20 minutes flying time is pushing things a bit - but not extreme if close at hand.

Don't give up. My P2V+ spent over two months in a soybean field this past summer before the farmer found it. I replaced the shell, one motor and a couple of props, and it works as well as it did before the crash.
Wow, even with rain, etc. You were able to get it working again? That's good to know.

I use 'PocketFinder' which does not require a SIM card as it has connectivity built in. Many have good results with the TK-102 or similar models, but they DO require a SIM card, usually from a pay as you go cell connection.

TK-102 I use. It's excellent, just dial it's number from my IPhone and in seconds the coordinates are sent back to me plus the Google map location shown. Paid 29.-$ AUD and have prepaid SIM AUD 4.- per month! Do highly recommend it

Just came back sad From a flight
I lost my p3a
Crashed from unknown reason probably to low height
From the last video it's on one of the trees
I can see the gps location but cannot see it

Sorry about your loss, I lost mine a week ago. Its also on the tree, I couldn't see it, I got close to last location and RC was connected, I could even see the live feed from camera, app was showing 9m to it so close. It crashed on RTH after RC connection lost.

Next day my friend and I spend 4 hours searching, no luck.
DJI please add audible noise, panic alarm or something. We need a way to make some noise. I had 55% battery remaining when it crashed into the tree.
Also that morning I did install new firmware if its matter.
Got new one this week, wether looks right and we will continue rescue mission.
Good luck.

To All.
I leave near Seattle, WA. If some on need drone to help search, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tnx guys
I found someone from my town
That have P3A will come with me tomorrow morning helping with his P3

Sorry about your loss, I lost mine a week ago. Its also on the tree, I couldn't see it, I got close to last location and RC was connected, I could even see the live feed from camera, app was showing 9m to it so close. It crashed on RTH after RC connection lost.

DJI please add audible noise, panic alarm or something. We need a way to make some noise. I had 55% battery remaining when it crashed into the tree.
Good luck.

To All.

That is a tough break to be so close yet not find it. Wonder if someone found it before you went back there? Tough way to learn a lesson as to setting RTH altitude higher than surrounding obstructions.

How did you lose RC communication with the bird? Was it out of sight when flying (I mean as behind some trees or something else)?

Best of luck in your search!

Similar thing happened to my Vision+ & it had a Flytrex attached. Went right to the location of the aircraft with no problem. 1-2 meters away only she was showing as 100'+ high. I literally knew the exact tree she was in, but only after scanning the branches for a couple of hours with binoculars was I able to spot the Phantom. She had settled gracefully into the tree & laid over sideways nestling into a V between two branches.

A suggestion. Spotting a white Phantom against a bright sky is difficult. If you have a good fix on where she came down, return to the spot after dark with a friend & bring along a couple of bright flashlights. You want bright lights...500 lumens or more with tight beams. Scan the canopy with the lights & the white Phantom against the black sky will make spotting her easier. Mine went down at night & I did catch a glimpse of a white speck (you could only see one arm) but I had no binoculars to confirm and then it began raining. :(

My Vision+ is still flying. Alas, there is one less tree in the world.... :cool:

Good luck.

To All.

Last edited:
Good luck.

I too found my first Phantom in a tree: it took off crazy after an update, no idea why.

Anyway, I spent hours looking for it. I gave up and was walking back to my car in dejection (not only had I lost my Phantom, I too had lost all the pictures for the photoshoot that was paying me several hundred dollars).

Luckily, I literally tripped over something while I was still looking up: It was the freaking battery!
I looked directly up and it was the Phantom barely hanging on a branch, it was REALLY hard to see and I never would have noticed it had the battery not popped out and landed directly below.

Sent in to DJI and they fixed gimbal and whatever else was wrong for free.

I'm going to look into one of these Trackimo or other GPS devices, I guess not a bad idea.

But they don't drastically decrease flying time or precision of flying?

I think after reading how hard it is to find them, especially when you are almost on top of them, I might either get some bright orange skins or paint it fluorescent (blaze) orange. It will also be easier to see in the sky

I thought the same, but you need another system, if it is built in the battery can still fail or pop out on a crash.

For what it is worth don't give up. My coworker lost his P2V in July high in a thick tree. He waited till November for the leaves to fall before he was able to find it again. The only damage he had was that he needs to replace the body because one of the motor mounts melted causing the motor to tilt from excess heat from trying to cut itself out of the tree and the motor must not have been turning and over heated. The inside had no rust or corrosion at all. The gimble is questionable too but there is a better aftermarket one anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr