Buying Non-OEM Batteries

Drone Dude .... ''Now there are at most maybe 5 manufactures out there of Lipo packs. '' .... not true actually.

There are at least 2 in UK alone ... Overland being one.

I agree that there are far less manufacturers than brand names on them ...

For DJI official packs there are 3.

Nigel

Overlander seems to be a manufacturer of finished batteries and not the manufacturer of the actual Cells.

From there about us .. "
Overlander's fine reputation for quality battery assembly began in 1975 when we started manufacturing packs for electric radio cars. Whilst battery technology and the range of cells and packs has moved on with time, our commitment to meet the needs of industry, commerce and UK Radio Control Modellers has remained constant.

We continue to grow our technical skills and knowledge which has helped us continue to develop and improve our own in-house manufacturing capabilities. We construct packs from both NiMh cells and Lithium Polymer"

Pay the extra $. I BOUGHT TWO AND ONE WOULD NOT SHOW % power left.
I bought one for Phantom 3 marked PH3. It obviously came from China or someplace; took a month to arrive. After about 10 recharges, it refuses to charge....won't even light up. I'll stick with the ones labeled "Phantom">

Reactions: kyrvas
Even OEM batteries from DJI are troublesome and they won't stand behind their product. I have two new-condition batteries and when DJI did a firmware update, it disabled these two batteries. Months later, they still don't work. DJI's response was, "too bad, wait for another firmware update and it MIGHT fix the problem." This response, combined with the $300 they STOLE from me when I had to buy new ones makes me believe DJI is a terrible company. Too bad I am forced to use their stuff. Companies like this don't last though, a drone company will come along that cares about their users and acts with integrity and DJI will end up on the Sears/K-Mart/Woolworth pile.
Randall - I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with batteries that were disabled with a FW update. For me, I have never had a problem with DJI equipment. Reading negative forum messages gives me caution about FW updates, so I wait and see.

Yes, this is information that I only suspected about DJI's battery suppliers. Since I don't know who they are or how to buy directly from them, I now like the idea of buying ones with the DJI name, at a reasonable price, from sellers with a published reputation, and a return policy.
I'd like to make a correction to my post #33: None of my batteries are labeled "DJI"; they are labeled "Phantom".

Today, I received my third battery for my P3P which I bought for $89 and was listed as OEM, 4480 mAh. Hope to fly with it in a few days. My previous two batteries I purchased with the P3P from DJI; all three batteries have similar markings and wording.

Guess what? DJI doesn't have a battery factory. They buy them from some other mfg. If you find who makes them
I'll bet they sell them under a different name. Goes the same for camera batteries.

Monday, I flew with my new $89 OEM battery marked Phantom 4480mAh. No problems; took a full charge and flew without any incident.

Guess what? DJI doesn't have a battery factory. They buy them from some other mfg. If you find who makes them
I'll bet they sell them under a different name. Goes the same for camera batteries.

Go back through posts and you will see the Factory names who produce under licence for DJI.

Nigel

I bought 2 from an ALIEXPRESS vendor for about $70.00. I think one needs to be a little selective but I can't tell you how as there are no reviews on Ali. They were not the least expensive, but they did include 2 containment bags. IMHO, they are better than the original I rcvd with my P3S. They run and charge cooler. The DJI gets almost too hot to hold after flight. The only issue I had was the cases were very slightly too big (maybe 0.5mm) and I had to take sandpaper to them to get them to slide in/out easily. Flight time was about the same as the original, about 23 min. I haven't had them long enough for a life test.

Running, are the DJI OEM batteries you bought for $85 the high capacity 4870mah version?

Running, are the DJI OEM batteries you bought for $85 the high capacity 4870mah version?
bdooley - No, it is 4480 mAh the same as the original P3P which I own. It was purchased on eBay and I am quite satisfied with it meeting the same specs as the original DJI batteries.

Okay thanks. I am looking for the 5870mah for my P4P. I have a choice between buying 2 new non OEM batteries with a 1 year warranty for $192 or 2 used (with 7 and 14 cycles) with no warranty. Which way would you guys go?

Not sold on dji batteries since I had one with less than 20 cycles put itself to sleep eternally this winter.

Okay thanks. I am looking for the 5870mah for my P4P. I have a choice between buying 2 new non OEM batteries with a 1 year warranty for $192 or 2 used (with 7 and 14 cycles) with no warranty. Which way would you guys go?

Not sold on dji batteries since I had one with less than 20 cycles put itself to sleep eternally this winter.
bdooley - I apologize for the delay. Regarding which to buy, the 1 year warranty seems to give some security regarding the battery's quality. Also, to look at reviews of any vendor is always prudent.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164