Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise

One in tact. Two broken. One missing prop.

Missing? As in completely off the bird? Did you find it at all? A prop flying off could easily explain a spinning fall.

Reactions: III% Streve
One in tact. Two broken. One missing prop.
The missing prop came off in flight, leading to tumbling and impact. Simple. Could have been due to bird strike, Over tightening, or not being tight enough. I have never seen a prop come OFF simply from impact to the ground.

The missing prop came off in flight, leading to tumbling and impact. Simple. Could have been due to bird strike, Over tightening, or not being tight enough. I have never seen a prop come OFF simply from impact to the ground.
Well, that's probably it. One was missing completely from the bird and no where in sight. Dang. Must have been my fault then. I spun them on, and did a slight twist on all. I wouldn't characterize any as too tight. Maybe I didn't slight twist one.

There is little to no data to go on. My guess is totally based on the missing prop. It would be somewhere relatively close if it came off on impact. Not trying to lay blame at all. It sucks either way. Just looking at things logically.

I don't see a sidewalk on the map pic. Where's the sidewalk you calibrated on?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There is little to no data to go on. My guess is totally based on the missing prop. It would be somewhere relatively close if it came off on impact. Not trying to lay blame at all. It sucks either way. Just looking at things logically.
No blame taken :) It is logical. I can only go through the memory in my head. Spun each. Slight twist of each. Kind of like checking the battery twice, I don't have that Homer Simpson "Dooaa" feeling about the props, but it seems like the best fit for explaining what happened.

Reactions: Rod Carnochan77
No blame taken :) It is logical. I can only go through the memory in my head. Spun each. Slight twist of each. Kind of like checking the battery twice, I don't have that Homer Simpson "Dooaa" feeling about the props, but it seems like the best fit for explaining what happened.
Not necessarily. Finger firm (not even tight) is all that's needed to properly fit the props.

If you were even close to the trees, a small bird may have been spooked and flew into you. It is almost impossible to determine for certainty what happened. Did you have a video of the flight ? that may enlighten the situation.

Ive helped a few local guys. One of the first things I do is check their prop tightness. Then show them all the dumb things that people are afraid of that actually arent the end of the world... flipping over on takeoff, flying aggressively, not taking off from a pad. Flying multiple flights on a single charge. Turning off the tablet and or controller. Its not that they are smart things to do particularly. But it instills faith, and ensures overall safety. In the P3 and the pilot! Its pretty easy to over tighten. Or not tighten at all. Its also easy to have a bird take you down. I have for the record broken one prop... from crashing in to my front door!

If you were even close to the trees, a small bird may have been spooked and flew into you. It is almost impossible to determine for certainty what happened. Did you have a video of the flight ? that may enlighten the situation.
No video. I was more concerned with flying it. I'm going to go back to the park tomorrow and check a large radius around the crash site to see if I can find the other prop. That would be pretty telling. As moderator said above, finger firm. Felt like I did but after the fact, I can't be sure. You know. That was probably it.

The manual says to tighten the props quote......."With both hands"
That implies they mean a bit better than finger firm. And it makes sense.

It also specifically says to "tighten each propeller before each flight".
Not just to spin it in place.
Phantom 3 User Manual
Page 17, under "Attaching Propellers"

What it doesn't imply is to over tighten them and use excessive force.

Of course. "finger firm" is rather subjective. I don't think you have to use the prop wrench, but I think they mean to use both hands and get them good and firm with your hands.

How do I retrieve the DAT files?
Could you upload your .DAT to flylog.info There are instructions on that website that'll explain how to retrieve them from the P3 and then upload them. If you tell me the name of the file I can retrieve it and I'll have a look as well. I'd be interested to look at the accelerometer and battery data.

A CSC does not stop the recording to the .DAT file. The recording starts when the battery is turned on and stops only when the battery is turned off (or it gets disconnected).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik