New CF Props Flew Off, Bird Crashed!

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help with what happened tonight. Long story short, I picked up a P3A recently after coming from a P3S. Tonight was my 2nd flight with it and the 1st flight with the new CF props I got for Christmas. They were the 9450's. I put them on as usual, verified they were snug, and launched it in the air. About 30 seconds in, I was hovering at about 30 feet. All of a sudden, 3 of the 4 props flew off the unit and shot in all different directions about 100 feet or so. It obviously came straight down and broke the camera off, broke the shell in several places, and did some really bad damage. I inspected the motor threads and they looked fine to me. I looked down in the prop threads with a flashlight and it looked okay from what I could tell, maybe a little bit of stripped plastic but it's hard to tell because they are new.

Anyone have any thoughts on what exactly happened here? Anyone heard of this before? I filed a "repair" request and am waiting on further instructions. I had it recording and I found the file but it won't play due to an invalid format or something. Since the DJI app won't even open, I had litchi running so I am wondering if there is even a record of the crash.

Just to clear up some standard questions:

1. Yes, they were authentic DJI props. Packaging was legit and they have the proper DJI and 9450 markings. They feel solid.
2. Yes, I fully tightened them. I've attached props about 100 times and I made extra sure this time since they were new.

Never heard of 3 of 4 props flying off at a time.

Was there a overhead power line or a similar thing? Prop can come off it it hits a cable. Do you see any marks or chipping on the blades?

9450 doesn't mean they are the right props for p3. Were they DJI make or third party?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Do DJI do CF props ?

DJI only sells carbon fiber reinforced props. You can find a list of them here.

Sounds like props put on arse about face! (Wrong way round) I know because I did it, fortunately I had started the quad up manually and before I tried to take off all four props disappeared, I now have a case that I keep it in with all four props attached.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I had this happen onc when I put the wrong props on the motors. That is, black on white and whit on black. That's my assumption here, just overlooked th color matching.

I had this happen onc when I put the wrong props on the motors. That is, black on white and whit on black. That's my assumption here, just overlooked th color matching.
That's the thing. I have a black sticker on each motor where the black dot prop goes. I tripled checked it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan