Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise

This is just a suspicion. But maybe your battery wasn't locked in securely and it vibrated loose thereby making your phantom powerless. That's why I suspect the propellers were not turning as it crashed. This is just an educated guess.

^^^^ This is why a 14-page thread will result in repeated assumptions. George, this theory has been thoroughly debunked by virtue of his logs continuing to record until after the initial impact.

Reactions: III% Streve
I'm speaking of the prop self loosening comment.
The one that was underlined.

People have tried this sudden deceleration or grabbing the motor to stop it on YouTube and the prop does not unscrew.

Actually, post 140 in this very thread shows that this can happen:

Go to 2min 17 seconds... Granted, it's not a Phantom, but it is the same motor/prop design.

A foreign metal piece can short an ESC or a loose current carrying lug can over heat and open the ESC. In both the cases, at least one of the motor will suddenly stop resulting into unscrewing the prop.
I recorded the last seconds of the flight using the fly12end.csv posted in this thread using Dashware.
Checked that Yaw Pitch and Roll are properly mapped and tracked in Dashware by filming it in all orientation and overlaying the converted dat file. (roll does not appear to have any upside down orientation).

Pretty crazy how fast the Phantom is spinning - To OP - is this similar to what you saw (do you have any footage of the crash)?
If log is correct it would seem propeller flying off as a likely cause but with all 4 motors running.
If there had been any motor shut down Amps should have gone down by about 2 amps (and probably spiked up prior shut down).
With a prop flying off a working motor amps should have gone down as well as less load but possibly not as much?

Y
Actually, post 140 in this very thread shows that this can happen:

Go to 2min 17 seconds... Granted, it's not a Phantom, but it is the same motor/prop design.

The video shows just how unlikely it is unless you skew the conditions until you cause it to happen.

Is that how you attach your props?

Y

The video shows just how unlikely it is unless you skew the conditions until you cause it to happen.

Is that how you attach your props?

I'm not picking a fight. I'm only linking back to that video because you said:
People have tried this sudden deceleration or grabbing the motor to stop it on YouTube and the prop does not unscrew.

Yet, within this thread, there is a YouTube video, of someone grabbing the motor to stop it, and the prop DID unscrewed. I don't know if that's what happened, or if the motor braking feature can so abruptly stop rotation as to cause what's shown, but obviously, having a loose prop come off as a result of motor rotation IS possible. That's all.

I am absolutely sure that the battery was properly seeded. I tugged on it with two different finger position pulling hard. I've read all the battery posts. It lifted off firmly in place. That may have been the culprit. I'm not saying it isn't. But I do know 100% that I tugged and it was firmly in place when it launched. Not sure what else I could have done with regards to the battery.
I, Sorry for your accident with your P3 , I myself have just joined the Phantom 3 club( not flew yet) and its frightening when you read about these incidents (should have kept my FC40) no problem with battery connections there eh ? but saying that after the fc40 I still have a phantom 2 vision plus and had about a dozen flights (some over the sea) and have had no problem and similar battery as phantom 3, hope you find out what caused it to drop out the sky, (we are all waiting ) cheers TB

I still contend I finger tightened them, all of them!!!
Finger tight IS tight enough. but "finger tight" truely MEANS nothing. I guarantee my finger tight in nothing close to what yours is! Or anyone else for that matter! Its a far too subjective term that is a pretty crucial measurement.

This is just a suspicion. But maybe your battery wasn't locked in securely and it vibrated loose thereby making your phantom powerless. That's why I suspect the propellers were not turning as it crashed. This is just an educated guess.
Except we know it DID have power, and three of the the propellers WERE spinning

I'm speaking of the prop self loosening comment.
The one that was underlined.

Unfortunately, one guy testing isnt a true test. I will post video today of repetitive success.

Don't bother.

I can make a car float too but most aren't likely to do so.

Checked that Yaw Pitch and Roll are properly mapped and tracked in Dashware by filming it in all orientation and overlaying the converted dat file. (roll does not appear to have any upside down orientation).
Pitch does show inversion.

Finger tight IS tight enough. but "finger tight" truely MEANS nothing. I guarantee my finger tight in nothing close to what yours is! Or anyone else for that matter! Its a far too subjective term that is a pretty crucial measurement.
At this point, no one has a better theory than the prop flew off, especially after the prop was found a distance from the crash site without damage -- except for the last thread on the prop.
If the pilot tightened his props, which he most likely did, he might have tightened the one prop into a crossed thead thus contributing the unfortunate outcome. Props should fee spin down to the bottom of the threads. If one doesn't, better look for a new prop.

At this point, no one has a better theory than the prop flew off, especially after the prop was found a distance from the crash site without damage -- except for the last thread on the prop.
If the pilot tightened his props, which he most likely did, he might have tightened the one prop into a crossed thead thus contributing the unfortunate outcome. Props should fee spin down to the bottom of the threads. If one doesn't, better look for a new prop.
I have about 25 props now, most new. They all freely spin on different amounts. Ive yet to determine if its a problem in cutting the threads, or a material variation that is causing it. One I used in testing to prove props CAN fly off only freely spun on about 3 rotations. Motor startup does spin it down the rest of the way. but even with that added drag it flies off.

Again, this ONE video demonstration is NOT a real test or proof of anything
Ha Ha! It proves absolutely that a prop will fly off with loss of one phase on the motor. I am anxiously awaiting your "proof" that active braking can easily cause this, and if it can, it's a poor design.

I have about 25 props now, most new. They all freely spin on different amounts. Ive yet to determine if its a problem in cutting the threads, or a material variation that is causing it. One I used in testing to prove props CAN fly off only freely spun on about 3 rotations. Motor startup does spin it down the rest of the way. but even with that added drag it flies off.
I'm just saying that in my experience most props freely spin down, so I'm not happy with one that doesn't and set it aside.

Per my experimenting above noticed the labels pitch and roll were inverted in Buds converted file. A negative pitch is left bank

I'm beta testing our next firmware release and next week should be app upgrade which ties up the time I spend here on pp.com. This thread caught my attention due to all the replies. Before entering I thought, I bet there is some disagreeing and arguing going on, or some naked women pic's in this thread. I see I got half of it right.

I couldn't understand why it took so long for someone to help the OP attach the .txt file. There was so much speculation up to that point. :confused:

So I did spend a little time researching the OP's Flight Log. I was able to come up with a Reason for the his crash, but there is no way to know the actual cause due to the reason. The reason for the crash is the R/C. While studying the flight itself there were several points in which the A/C was traveling at consistent speeds. However, there was NO data input from the Sticks. Prior to coming across the R/C situation I was looking at if it was a loss of prop and there just wasn't enough data to support that event taking place.

It is very important to do all calibrations at the time any firmware is upgraded. The IMU reads the X,Y,Z speed, and the data from the compass and GPS. Making sure the things are properly calibrated are the pilot's number one priority. Don't make the mistake and do what someone else is doing. If someone says they have not calibrated the compass in 4 months, so what. That is that guy and what works for his aircraft. Do what is best for you and your aircraft where you live. Here is some good reading on the IMU and Compass: DJI Forum|Explain Compass and IMU purpose ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews