Brushless Motor Lubrication

Aerovision720

Part 107 Certified
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I just got my P2 out of hiding. Having stability trouble, yaw pitch, altitude changes.
I used the DJI assistant to recalibrate everything and I recalibrated the compass. Not much improvement.
Sounds very whiny, so I looked online and found video for lubrication of motors. The guy in the video put a drop in the motor from up top, then drilled a 1/8" hole underneath center of the motor seat to put in a drop of lube to the bottom bearing. He used little 1/8" plugs to cover the hole.
This is the first I've heard of this. Could lubrication cause this problem?

I just got my P2 out of hiding. Having stability trouble, yaw pitch, altitude changes.
I used the DJI assistant to recalibrate everything and I recalibrated the compass. Not much improvement.
Sounds very whiny, so I looked online and found video for lubrication of motors. The guy in the video put a drop in the motor from up top, then drilled a 1/8" hole underneath center of the motor seat to put in a drop of lube to the bottom bearing. He used little 1/8" plugs to cover the hole.
Lubrication (or lack of) won't cause the issues you mentioned.
Try recalibrating your IMU.

I have re-calibrated IMU and compass 3 times now. DJI assistant says I was successful.
I might be able to gain better control by adjusting gain but I have never done this before.

Lubricating your motors will only cause your motors issues . Link to the video you watch please.

Reactions: Harleydude

DIY for oiling DJI Phantom bearings​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry, will do in the future.

I’m sorry but from what I’ve seen in the past is oiling as always caused dust to stick and always causes issues. . Might be wrong
but JMO.
Just from being here for so long. Do what you want but I’ve never done it. What works for you and makes you happy 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyN
I'm glad I asked first.
Any ideas about my control problems?

I'm glad I asked first.
Any ideas about my control problems?
Controll issues I can’t say but oiling your motors in my opinion
is a bad idea. And I’ve had seversl P2’s and never done it.

Thanks for your advice. I will not be oiling any motors.

I will try some trim controls in the DJI Assistant.

DIY for oiling DJI Phantom bearings​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry, will do in the future.
Just my two cents worth... I wouldn't do anything of the kind. In my opinion, the person in the video has little knowledge of what the underlying potential problems are that can be a result of what he is doing. I won't repeat what the others said about negative effects of drilling holes where they weren't meant to be and squirting oil into those holes, but I will give my opinion about running the drone and revving up the motors with the propellers on like he did. Question... what is the purpose of revving the motors with propellers on. Answer: to apply enough force to raise the aircraft into the air. Revving the motors with the propellers on exerts a tremendous amount of force on the frame of the aircraft. Securing the drone in a non-movable position while revving the motors like that will put substantial stress on the unit and will eventually damage the aircraft. If you chose to not believe me, just read the owners manual, in my case P4P V2, and see where it tells you to move the control sticks slowly and smoothly without any jerky movements as that will place undo stress on the aircraft and may (more than likely will IMO) cause damage to the aircraft. Ever wonder what causes the stress cracks you hear a lot about? More than likely from rapid jerky starts and stops. Also, if you hear the bearings (bushings?) grinding, the damage has been done. Be safe. Just replace the motor(s) and know you have done all you can to preserve your $1,500 - $2,000 investment. This is my opinion and I will stick with it in order to preserve and protect my investment in my equipment.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello.! .. It has caused me a lot of surprise about how people think they have the solution to a condition in their drone and not inform themselves properly… First of all, the bearings of the drone motors in general and in this case; from DJI, they are sealed bearings, which means ... that the bearings have a metal seal on both sides, which covers and protects the steel balls that move through the raceway called the bucket. These bearings are factory lubricated with a special high-temperature grease, so they can withstand the heat that the bearings will experience during use. I have not seen that the drone manual says what to do. Maintenance to the motor bearings ... If one or more motors present noise or vibrations out of the ordinary, it is best to change them for new ones. Dust, shocks, excessive humidity can damage or affect the performance of the bearings, I suggest you do not do or try to lubricate the motors, make the change of these better, it will be the best maintenance you can do to your drone, and you will make sure and it will give you the confidence that the engines are OK. Greetings.!

Reactions: Phantomwolf
Thanks for the input. I will check with the Forum before taking YouTube advice.

Here are the gain settings for my P2.
Thoughts?
1631740934916.jpeg

Seems the only thig I really changed was the yaw. And then I added a slow yaw switch I got from a member that’s not here no more but can search for slow mod and read about it. Most you want to know is here if you will search but is old post. Not many are into P2’s anymore but it’s all here if you take the time to use our search feature.

I have moved on to a Mavic 2, just wanted to keep the P2 flying. I had to buy new batteries just to get it to light up, so after that investment, I am now committed to at least make it
usable.

Sell the batteries on ebay. Sell the P2 for parts. If the camera is working, sell it separated from the drone itself. This should help defray the cost of the $1500 Mavic 2.

Can't do that. The P2 was my first drone! And the Mavic I bought is a M2EA Thermal at $6500.

I found that the P2 had a bent arm. Bought a new shell at $53 and it works OK now, not great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic