Broke the 100 flight mark last week. Thinking of selling my bird though.

Because you posted this:
"Many of the signs I see aren't worded correctly. The last one said 'cannot launch from' so I just launched from the street (very legal) flew over and around the areas that I wanted and landed out on the street again. Nobody but the officials were in the park, they were calling the cops, but they wouldn't do anything because the sign said 'no launching' . They tried to say I couldn't fly over the park, but they had no legal grounds for that either... I asked them... How many feet... One guy said 20, other guy said 500.... Officer said I was not breaking any laws. This is Bellevue/Seattle"

Bellevue/Seattle/Redmond/Kirkland/Renton/Issaquah/North Bend/Fall City/Snoqualmie.... whatever.... are you for real?

OK... I'm off to fly now... safer than you.

Are there a lot of logs & branches alongside the river in WA from the logging days? (Never been to the west coast).
Driftwood on Washington and British Columbia (Canadian) beaches are a sad and wasteful result of logs that escape from the floating log bundles that tug boats tow from where they are logged and dumped into the ocean and then towed to the closest local sawmill or ocean port for shipping to SE Asia for milling.

Makes for hazardous boating.

Reactions: PhotoGuyAaron
Driftwood on Washington and British Columbia (Canadian) beaches are a sad and wasteful result of logs that escape from the floating log bundles that tug boats tow from where they are logged and dumped into the ocean and then towed to the closest local sawmill or ocean port for shipping to SE Asia for milling.

I know some one who was almost killed by this on boat in a different area due to the old logging industry. VERY serious problem.

It will take time. I remember when snow boards weren't allowed at ski area. People were nervous, uninformed and scared of change. Now they out number skiers at most places. So what changed? Lots of interest and money.
The hobby will grow (it's just too cool not to) and governments will find ways to make money like annual drone licenses, park flying permits, etc. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Yeah I agree, driftwood can be very dangerous in water, however governments don't seem to care, or they're too stupid to implement rational decisions. I was at Saltwater Park just south of Seatlle in Des Moines recently and there was a sign that stated it is illegal to remove driftwood from the park. So there it sits, at the waters edge, hundreds of logs ready to get carried away in storm back to sea, endangering boats and people. It makes no sense to protect all the trash accumulating on the shoreline, but that's what the authorities feel is "the best decision". Imagine that. You can see all the trash wood in the video below.

When I arrived the first time at Saltwater Park I didn't fly because there were too many people at 1pm. So I came back at 6pm when less people were around. I went to the far north end of the park where nobody was and launched. I never got any static from anyone, and there was a ranger about 150yds away. Maybe she didn't notice the craft flying by over the water. You can see her truck parked next to the restrooms in the video. Was I breaking rules?

I also flew from a park at Lake Washington (47.509383, -122.202606), I didn't see any NFZ signs. I wasn't aware of any regulation for NFZ, yikes. I flew south and went right up to the Boeing Plant (737 factory) from the water and got shots of new finished planes. I did get a warning of approaching a NFZ due to the nearby airport, so I stopped there. Then, farther north I launched from abandoned railroad tracks (47.538581, -122.195243) along the edge of Lake Washington and overlooked the Seattle Seahawks training grounds from over the lake water. Had a good time in Seattle with my P3P.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah I agree, driftwood can be very dangerous in water, however governments don't seem to care, or they're too stupid to implement rational decisions. I was at Saltwater Park just south of Seatlle in Des Moines recently and there was a sign that stated it is illegal to remove driftwood from the park. So there it sits, at the waters edge, hundreds of logs ready to get carried away in storm back to sea, endangering boats and people. It makes no sense to protect all the trash accumulating on the shoreline, but that's what the authorities feel is "the best decision". Imagine that. You can see all the trash wood in the video below.

When I arrived the first time at Saltwater Park I didn't fly because there were too many people at 1pm. So I came back at 6pm when less people were around. I went to the far north end of the park where nobody was and launched. I never got any static from anyone, and there was a ranger about 150yds away. Maybe she didn't notice the craft flying by over the water. You can see her truck parked next to the restrooms in the video. Was I breaking rules?

I also flew from a park at Lake Washington (47.509383, -122.202606), I didn't see any NFZ signs. I wasn't aware of any regulation for NFZ, yikes. I flew south and went right up to the Boeing Plant (737 factory) from the water and got shots of new finished planes. I did get a warning of approaching a NFZ due to the nearby airport, so I stopped there. Then, farther north I launched from abandoned railroad tracks (47.538581, -122.195243) along the edge of Lake Washington and overlooked the Seattle Seahawks training grounds from over the lake water. Had a good time in Seattle with my P3P.

Park at lake Washington certainly falls into the Seattle's parks ban. Glad you had a positive experience in Western Washington though. Sounds and looks great.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Very nice video! You probably were in violation of the state's park ban when you launched from the park, but you stayed out over the water, which is good (and makes for a better perspective anyway IMO). I've launched from a friend's house up on the bluff and flown out over the park, but stayed higher than I would like. I need to go back early in the morning or later in the evening and try launching from the "illegal" space you did.
I've never tried flying near the Boeing plant there at the south end of Lake Washingto - always assumed it was a NFZ since the plant abuts the Renton municipal airport.
I've taken the drone down to the Des Moines marina in the evening, but the place is always so crowded with sunset watchers that I've not dared fly from there yet. One day...

I've never understood Washington's driftwood laws. I've heard it is illegal to remove any driftwood from any Washington Beach. Not sure of that. But I've heard the reason they want the logs left on the beach around the sound is to help mitigate erosion. Apparently the ferry traffic contributes greatly to erosion, I know a new ferry a few years ago had to reduce it's speed on the Seattle to Bremerton run because of the increased erosion around Bainbridge Island from the passing ferry.

Park at lake Washington certainly falls into the Seattle's parks ban. Glad you had a positive experience in Western Washington though. Sounds and looks great.
Isn't that park (the one near Boeing Field) in the city of Renton? If it the one I'm thinking of, it is outside of Seattle. Not sure of Renton's park bans, if any.

I've never understood how an RC flying park (electric park flyers only) could be so close to SeaTac international airport. But check out the map on this link, it is just blocks from the runways:
http://www.rcgroups.com/place/3273-seatac-park-flyer-park-seatac-wa

I've shot some pretty cool video with my P2 from about 60 - 75 ft AGL of Airliners landing to the west of me. The P3 won't even initiate there.

You and I fly in very close proximity! :rolleyes:

Isn't that park (the one near Boeing Field) in the city of Renton? If it the one I'm thinking of, it is outside of Seattle. Not sure of Renton's park bans, if any.
Yes, that's in Renton. I was surprised I got that close to the 737 plant myself due to the Renton airport, but apparently the class of that airport was such that I got the NFZ screen warning just 3300' from the end of the runway, which was about 200' from the edge of the plant.

Yes, that's in Renton. I was surprised I got that close to the 737 plant myself due to the Renton airport, but apparently the class of that airport was such that I got the NFZ screen warning just 3300' from the end of the runway, which was about 200' from the edge of the plant.

That's cool. We put in there quite a lot. There is a flight path right off the edge over there.. I've never gone that close. Wow! If you anchor right off the edge on the other side a little west of that, you can watch them go right over you sometimes.

Beautiful clip, and nice flying. The light was gorgeous!

It's very interesting to read of the compliance issues you have that have different nuances than we have 120 miles to the northwest, here on Vancouver Island. Transport Canada revisited our regulations last December, and the commercial drone folks seems to have gotten their ear again to try to massage the rules again. We're awaiting their latest updates.

We don't have the National Park rules and our regulations are national, rather than regional.

I've done a few commercial flights, but the required special flight operation certificate is a buttload of paperwork and the Transport Canada folks are so understaffed for the drone tsunami that processing an application, if approved without modification, can take a couple months.

It prompted me to shelve my P2 for several months and let my insurance lapse. I missed flying so much I got back on the saddle recently.

I fly regional and Provincial (our version of State Parks) parks when they are quiet of people and shoot tourism info clips, which fall into the recreational category.

Like Washington's coast, Vancouver Island has no shortage of aerial eye candy.

Have a buyer for my P2 and about to upgrade to P3P. Excited!

Here's a recent flight at Rebecca Spit Provincial Park, on Quadra Island, near Campbell River, 175 miles north of the Victoria. The sailboat in the intro belongs to a friend who wanted some shots.

This park's location at the northwest end of the open body of water between Vancouver Island and the mainland (Vancouver) means that the winter storms pile up the logging industry's driftwood along this little Island's beaches like nowhere else on our considerable coastline.

Cool, another great video!

Reactions: scottoftheforest
Just broke the 100 flight mark last week. I had my P3P replaced by B&H early on due to shipment damage of the gimbal. I just put together the flights from both birds. I started off scared as you can be as I had lost two toy/beginner UAV's to wind. I steadily got more bold and confidant but lately I have become a lot more scared and cautious. UAV's are banned in all Seattle parks with only two small tree encased fly zones exceptions. I was approached by Seattle PD and made aware of this while I was in preflight in a park. Since then they have scared me off from flying two more times. This leaves only private property to fly from in Seattle and means flying over people homes cars and pets. I feel this is a dangerous result of not being able to fly in parks with very few people around. To add to this the one park I do fly in has horrible signal interference on all channels on latest app and firmware.

All this has me wondering if I should sell my kit which I am into for over 2,400 dollars. I was just starting to get close to feeling comfortable to do real estate work next summer. (The flying season in Seattle is quite limited). Would love any and all feedback.

Cheers,
Aaron
Just broke the 100 flight mark last week. I had my P3P replaced by B&H early on due to shipment damage of the gimbal. I just put together the flights from both birds. I started off scared as you can be as I had lost two toy/beginner UAV's to wind. I steadily got more bold and confidant but lately I have become a lot more scared and cautious. UAV's are banned in all Seattle parks with only two small tree encased fly zones exceptions. I was approached by Seattle PD and made aware of this while I was in preflight in a park. Since then they have scared me off from flying two more times. This leaves only private property to fly from in Seattle and means flying over people homes cars and pets. I feel this is a dangerous result of not being able to fly in parks with very few people around. To add to this the one park I do fly in has horrible signal interference on all channels on latest app and firmware.

All this has me wondering if I should sell my kit which I am into for over 2,400 dollars. I was just starting to get close to feeling comfortable to do real estate work next summer. (The flying season in Seattle is quite limited). Would love any and all feedback.

Cheers,
Aaron

Cheers,
Aaron
Aaron,
Apply for your Exemption 333. Then you can do roof inspections and I would try other avenues. Don't give up. Don't sell your bird. If you get enough flying in and you get your exemption 333 you can go work for someone as a contractor and get paid good for your services.

Cheers,
Aaron

Cheers,
Aaron
Just gotta get sneekier.LOL

All the new regs are just gonna be a cash cow for jurisdictions. Shouldn't have to hire a lawyer to decipher the regs. Gettin' ridiculous already. Guess we'll need a Hell's Angels for Quads.

Beautiful clip, and nice flying. The light was gorgeous!

It's very interesting to read of the compliance issues you have that have different nuances than we have 120 miles to the northwest, here on Vancouver Island. Transport Canada revisited our regulations last December, and the commercial drone folks seems to have gotten their ear again to try to massage the rules again. We're awaiting their latest updates.

We don't have the National Park rules and our regulations are national, rather than regional.

I've done a few commercial flights, but the required special flight operation certificate is a buttload of paperwork and the Transport Canada folks are so understaffed for the drone tsunami that processing an application, if approved without modification, can take a couple months.

It prompted me to shelve my P2 for several months and let my insurance lapse. I missed flying so much I got back on the saddle recently.

I fly regional and Provincial (our version of State Parks) parks when they are quiet of people and shoot tourism info clips, which fall into the recreational category.

Like Washington's coast, Vancouver Island has no shortage of aerial eye candy.

Have a buyer for my P2 and about to upgrade to P3P. Excited!

Here's a recent flight at Rebecca Spit Provincial Park, on Quadra Island, near Campbell River, 175 miles north of the Victoria. The sailboat in the intro belongs to a friend who wanted some shots.

This park's location at the northwest end of the open body of water between Vancouver Island and the mainland (Vancouver) means that the winter storms pile up the logging industry's driftwood along this little Island's beaches like nowhere else on our considerable coastline.
Excellent video. I wish we had more liberal national laws and not local restrictions. You are going to love the P3P. I cannot believe the video and still quality. The performance and control have been boosted as well.

Here are two of my coastline videos. The first is the harbor at Rockport, Massachusets. The second one is from a family reunion at Kayak Beach North of Seattle near Stanwood, Washington. The Rockport video may have been shot in a ban area and I may not get to redo it next summer.

Hope you enjoy them I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THIS UP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31