Broke the 100 flight mark last week. Thinking of selling my bird though.

Reaction score
Just broke the 100 flight mark last week. I had my P3P replaced by B&H early on due to shipment damage of the gimbal. I just put together the flights from both birds. I started off scared as you can be as I had lost two toy/beginner UAV's to wind. I steadily got more bold and confidant but lately I have become a lot more scared and cautious. UAV's are banned in all Seattle parks with only two small tree encased fly zones exceptions. I was approached by Seattle PD and made aware of this while I was in preflight in a park. Since then they have scared me off from flying two more times. This leaves only private property to fly from in Seattle and means flying over people homes cars and pets. I feel this is a dangerous result of not being able to fly in parks with very few people around. To add to this the one park I do fly in has horrible signal interference on all channels on latest app and firmware.

All this has me wondering if I should sell my kit which I am into for over 2,400 dollars. I was just starting to get close to feeling comfortable to do real estate work next summer. (The flying season in Seattle is quite limited). Would love any and all feedback.

Cheers,
Aaron

I've thought of selling before restrictions / regulations make it too difficult to fly in peace. Once the hammer comes down, I don't want to be stuck with a big ticket item that I can't use without fearing a fine or civil litigation.

Guys, I totally understand the frustration of not having a local place to fly but I suggest you check into AMA flight parks. Trips out of town and away from people make for great getaways. I really hope you will stay with the community we would miss your input.

I think we have to differentiate between flying a quad to fly a quad, which could be done easily in AMA fields as it doesn't really matter where it is as long as it serves the purpose.

The Phantoms are not that kind of quads and are dedicated flying cameras. For using them we need objects of interest that allows us to create nice pictures and videos.
If more and more restictions are coming the upcoming quadcopter industry will be disrupted and becomes a short blib on the radarscreen of history!

Somehow gouvernments have to learn to deal with new technologies and find ways to protect the many (within reason) without curtailing individual freedoms. Would our founding fathers considered flying a quad to take pictures and videos the pursue of happiness? If they would have known they might have. Somehow it feels back then they just have been wiser and much more balanced. We can only hope that the industry is already big enough to have some pull and fights for some reasonable rules that work for most.

I think we have to differentiate between flying a quad to fly a quad, which could be done easily in AMA fields as it doesn't really matter where it is as long as it serves the purpose.

The Phantoms are not that kind of quads and are dedicated flying cameras. For using them we need objects of interest that allows us to create nice pictures and videos.
If more and more restictions are coming the upcoming quadcopter industry will be disrupted and becomes a short blib on the radarscreen of history!

Somehow gouvernments have to learn to deal with new technologies and find ways to protect the many (within reason) without curtailing individual freedoms. Would our founding fathers considered flying a quad to take pictures and videos the pursue of happiness? If they would have known they might have. Somehow it feels back then they just have been wiser and much more balanced. We can only hope that the industry is already big enough to have some pull and fights for some reasonable rules that work for most.
I am flying in interesting and viable areas for stock photography. I am also honing my skills so I can fly in tight quarters for real estate work. I am not just flying to fly. Why would anyone want to spend this kind of money not to take stills and video? If you don't want to use the camera there are plenty of more affordable recreation UAV's. I work as a professional stock photographer. I am very concerned with upcoming laws restricting UAV's.

Exactly my point. I own two Phantoms for video and photo only, no other reason. Would the restrictions become overwhelming I would opt out as well.

Reactions: PhotoGuyAaron
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442361919.138350.jpg

One of my early real estate shots. Kayak Point Warm Beach, WA

So, I am confused. I know you want to take commercial video with your phantom. So why can't you get you 333 exemption and fly within the exemption limitations?
I love my Phantoms and have taken beautiful video and stills on two continents and have stayed within the rules of the countries flown. The difference is that I don't make money or want to make money with mine. If I did or ever do want to commercialize my flying I would happily invest the time and money to get the needed
authorization.
I really hope you figure out how to stay with the Phantom, your eye and expertise would be missed.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
So, I am confused. I know you want to take commercial video with your phantom. So why can't you get you 333 exemption and fly within the exemption limitations?
I love my Phantoms and have taken beautiful video and stills on two continents and have stayed within the rules of the countries flown. The difference is that I don't make money or want to make money with mine. If I did or ever do want to commercialize my flying I would happily invest the time and money to get the needed
authorization.
I really hope you figure out how to stay with the Phantom, your eye and expertise would be missed.
I am working with a friend on getting an exemption but do not believe it opens any more public land to fly over in Seattle, only allows you to legally sell your work as areal UAV footage with out having to use loopholes. I am trying to get it so I can sell real estate footage and stills legally. I am still frustrated with the city's regs.

Thank you for your kind words. Trust me I do not want to leave this opportunity.

Washington must be one of the greatest places to live and own an AP ship. Having said that, going pro takes some determination. Photojournalism, fashion, video all have challenges and take conviction and hard work to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Just broke the 100 flight mark last week. I had my P3P replaced by B&H early on due to shipment damage of the gimbal. I just put together the flights from both birds. I started off scared as you can be as I had lost two toy/beginner UAV's to wind. I steadily got more bold and confidant but lately I have become a lot more scared and cautious. UAV's are banned in all Seattle parks with only two small tree encased fly zones exceptions. I was approached by Seattle PD and made aware of this while I was in preflight in a park. Since then they have scared me off from flying two more times. This leaves only private property to fly from in Seattle and means flying over people homes cars and pets. I feel this is a dangerous result of not being able to fly in parks with very few people around. To add to this the one park I do fly in has horrible signal interference on all channels on latest app and firmware.

All this has me wondering if I should sell my kit which I am into for over 2,400 dollars. I was just starting to get close to feeling comfortable to do real estate work next summer. (The flying season in Seattle is quite limited). Would love any and all feedback.

Cheers,
Aaron
I also live in the same state and am in constant awe as to the footage I shoot and don't have to travel far. On a clear day you can see 3 inactive volcanoes, the Cascade range, the Olympic range, Puget sound, scores of pristine rivers, and have access to dozens of National and State Parks and still be home for supper. I think most folks would be tickled to death to be able to film the wonderful natural sites the Northwest has to offer. You need to get out of the metro area and see the beauty of the area.

Hey Aaron, get out of the city! Or get out of bed and fly early and quick in the parks. I've flown very early in the morning for short flights in Discovery Park, Myrtle Edwards Park, and along Lake Washington. You have to be quick, out, get your film, and back, land, and off to the next location. And trying to fly during the day when people are out and about is just asking for trouble.
But there are so many beautiful areas outside of the city for photography and flying. Skagit Valley is beautiful anytime of the year. Any of the National Forest areas along I-90 or around Mount Rainier (before you get into the National Park) are great for flying and photography. Get a backpack for your Phantom and hike or follow any of the many trails and take some flights if you are isolated and not in a crowd of hikers.
And I belong to a few flying clubs since I fly fixed wing RC planes as well, but a good place to practice techniques with your drone, or experiment with new firmware updates and modes in a safe environment.
Keep your quad, just find new places to fly! But always fly safe.

I think anyone who has purchased a UAV or is thinking about getting one needs to realize that the investment could disappear or be trashed on the very next flight! If you own one and like flying then live for now, not what if. If your thinking about buying one, make sure the moneys not a big deal. I have phantoms with many miles and i've had some last only a week

Reactions: SENC
Hey Aaron, get out of the city! Or get out of bed and fly early and quick in the parks. I've flown very early in the morning for short flights in Discovery Park, Myrtle Edwards Park, and along Lake Washington. You have to be quick, out, get your film, and back, land, and off to the next location. And trying to fly during the day when people are out and about is just asking for trouble.
But there are so many beautiful areas outside of the city for photography and flying. Skagit Valley is beautiful anytime of the year. Any of the National Forest areas along I-90 or around Mount Rainier (before you get into the National Park) are great for flying and photography. Get a backpack for your Phantom and hike or follow any of the many trails and take some flights if you are isolated and not in a crowd of hikers.
And I belong to a few flying clubs since I fly fixed wing RC planes as well, but a good place to practice techniques with your drone, or experiment with new firmware updates and modes in a safe environment.
Keep your quad, just find new places to fly! But always fly safe.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442430144.029210.jpg

Here is a shot from Carkeek Park early am and I have a lot from Mangnuson park unfortunately due to the position of the sun only viable in the pm. Thanks for the kick in the pants, I will make it further afield and explore new breathtaking locations. Flying at RC clubs does not look safe with all the fixed wing aircraft all over the place. I do appreciate your advice very much. Cheers

Last I checked, it's the people in RC hobby that have been screaming about falling quads killing babies and destroying Ferraris that might be driving by - and why you should join AMA and fly at their 'designated' fields.

As people started to put up - and promote - all their crash footage on Youtube, general public got paranoid.

We are getting what we were asking for all along - restrictions.

Don't worry, the good ole' AMA will let you fly at their fields if you pay them each year for membership.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20