Broke the 100 flight mark last week. Thinking of selling my bird though.

I also live in the same state and am in constant awe as to the footage I shoot and don't have to travel far. On a clear day you can see 3 inactive volcanoes, the Cascade range, the Olympic range, Puget sound, scores of pristine rivers, and have access to dozens of National and State Parks and still be home for supper. I think most folks would be tickled to death to be able to film the wonderful natural sites the Northwest has to offer. You need to get out of the metro area and see the beauty of the area.
National Parks are a no fly zone across all 50 states. I do not know about state parks in Washington though. I will look into it. That is not to say you can't get away with it but you can not post pics or videos let alone sell them with a 333 exemption.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
National Parks are a no fly zone across all 50 states. I do not know about state parks in Washington though. I will look into it. That is not to say you can't get away with it but you can not post pics or videos let alone sell them with a 333 exemption.
Can you point us to the FAA restriction against posting photos or videos taken from a UAV for non-commercial purposes. I understand that if you post under a name implying or advertising a commercial service such is banned but I can't see limitations on sharing video or photos taken as a part of a hobby or recreational flight.

Can you point us to the FAA restriction against posting photos or videos taken from a UAV for non-commercial purposes. I understand that if you post under a name implying or advertising a commercial service such is banned but I can't see limitations on sharing video or photos taken as a part of a hobby or recreational flight.
Jeff all I know is there are laws that prohibit flight in national parks. Photo or video evidence of such flights after the ban was put into place even for recreation can put you at risk of federal action. I do not know if or where the FAA reg is but this ban was due to initially flights up half dome in Yosemite nat park is real.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? This is what I have come to know but I could just have bad information. There are pre ban flights up half dome on YouTube and if you read the comments you will see people talking about not being able to put up new footage due to the ban and risk of prosecution.

So, I am confused. I know you want to take commercial video with your phantom. So why can't you get you 333 exemption and fly within the exemption limitations?
I love my Phantoms and have taken beautiful video and stills on two continents and have stayed within the rules of the countries flown. The difference is that I don't make money or want to make money with mine. If I did or ever do want to commercialize my flying I would happily invest the time and money to get the needed
authorization.
I really hope you figure out how to stay with the Phantom, your eye and expertise would be missed.
Getting the exemption is just part of the 333 you need to a private or sport pilot to legal fly the drone for hire. But do not have to be a pilot to file for the exemption.

Jeff all I know is there are laws that prohibit flight in national parks. Photo or video evidence of such flights after the ban was put into place even for recreation can put you at risk of federal action. I do not know if or where the FAA reg is but this ban was due to initially flights up half dome in Yosemite nat park is real.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? This is what I have come to know but I could just have bad information. There are pre ban flights up half dome on YouTube and if you read the comments you will see people talking about not being able to put up new footage due to the ban and risk of prosecution.
Google "drone ban in national parks" and you will see what I am talking about.

Google "drone ban in national parks" and you will see what I am talking about.
Sorry I must have misunderstood your original quote. I have been aware of the National Park ban since its inception. That ban includes national monuments and national Seashores. So far National forests are still fly able.
Of course state and local governments can have no fly zones but the wording must be very specific and not over reach.

My error was that I thought you were saying that public posting of ANY videos or photos was also banned.
As far as I know there is no such governmental ban

By the way. National park no fly zones are not FAA bans, the are enacted and enforced by the National Park Service. Again. I'm sorry for my misunderstanding of your post

Sorry I must have misunderstood your original quote. I have been aware of the National Park ban since its inception. That ban includes national monuments and national Seashores. So far National forests are still fly able.
Of course state and local governments can have no fly zones but the wording must be very specific and not over reach.

My error was that I thought you were saying that public posting of ANY videos or photos was also banned.
As far as I know there is no such governmental ban
Now I understand. Thanks for telling me about national forest, I have some sites I know of here in Washington.

Now I understand. Thanks for telling me about national forest, I have some sites I know of here in Washington.
You certainly do have some beautiful national forests. Snoqualmie is one of my favorites.

8uhib
Last I checked, it's the people in RC hobby that have been screaming about falling quads killing babies and destroying Ferraris that might be driving by - and why you should join AMA and fly at their 'designated' fields.

As people started to put up - and promote - all their crash footage on Youtube, general public got paranoid.

We are getting what we were asking for all along - restrictions.

Don't worry, the good ole' AMA will let you fly at their fields if you pay them each year for membership.
LOL, we probably wouldn't be flying at all right now if it weren't for the AMA.

View attachment 30901
Here is a shot from Carkeek Park early am and I have a lot from Mangnuson park unfortunately due to the position of the sun only viable in the pm. Thanks for the kick in the pants, I will make it further afield and explore new breathtaking locations. Flying at RC clubs does not look safe with all the fixed wing aircraft all over the place. I do appreciate your advice very much. Cheers
Wow! Do Not Sell your Phantom! That is beautiful! Great shot, you have talent. Yes, the sun is a problem when you can only shoot in the morning. Sometimes late evening just before sunset is a good time for stealth shots too.

Reactions: PhotoGuyAaron

You are correct, posting flights within National Parks could get you in trouble, but I'm not sure of the real possibility/chance of getting investigated from a YouTube video though. And they'd have to prove you made the flight yourself, and that it was made before the ban.

Many of the signs I see aren't worded correctly. The last one said 'cannot launch from' so I just launched from the street (very legal) flew over and around the areas that I wanted and landed out on the street again. Nobody but the officials were in the park, they were calling the cops, but they wouldn't do anything because the sign said 'no launching' . They tried to say I couldn't fly over the park, but they had no legal grounds for that either... I asked them... How many feet... One guy said 20, other guy said 500.... Officer said I was not breaking any laws. This is Bellevue/Seattle

Reactions: skyviper73
I empathise - we have what I believe are some of the most draconian laws regarding drones. Here in New Zealand apart from not being able to fly within 4kms of any airport, you cannot fly in low fly zones, military no fly zones, mandatory broadcast zones, etc and where you can potentially fly you have to get the permission of every person you fly over plus permission from the owner of any property you overfly, private and public. And my insurance is void if I fail any of this. So I can't fly in the park without the council's permission and if I want to fly over the surf I need the permission of the land owner above the high tide mark and the government for below it. For National Parks I need the OK from the Department of Conservation, Railways if I cross a track, Highways if I take off from a lay-by etc etc.
In other words it is almost impossible to fly legally for recreation. The real estate etc photographers love it cos they're flying with permission and they don't want idiots ruining their fun so they want to be the only ones allowed to play.
Luckily the cops are pretty cool - I know a few and they will only come after the nuisances; they have bigger things to worry about.
But, it's only going to get worse as more and more people the world over simply ignore the laws (look at the guy in the UK the other day fined for flying over stadiums, or your own wild fire problems) and put the public offside with all done fliers..

Many of the signs I see aren't worded correctly. The last one said 'cannot launch from' so I just launched from the street (very legal) flew over and around the areas that I wanted and landed out on the street again. Nobody but the officials were in the park, they were calling the cops, but they wouldn't do anything because the sign said 'no launching' . They tried to say I couldn't fly over the park, but they had no legal grounds for that either... I asked them... How many feet... One guy said 20, other guy said 500.... Officer said I was not breaking any laws. This is Bellevue/Seattle
Which park? And which city, Bellevue or Seattle (they are different cities with different ordinances).
Yes, I suppose you could take this sort of stance. Not sure what it gains you though. I can get a quick video without antagonizing the public or challenging authority.

I just want to thank you all for your mutual understanding, encouragement, and compliments. I just expected a bunch of trolls but was pleasantly surprised by your responses.

Cheers,
Aaron

Last edited:
I think we have to differentiate between flying a quad to fly a quad, which could be done easily in AMA fields as it doesn't really matter where it is as long as it serves the purpose.

The Phantoms are not that kind of quads and are dedicated flying cameras. For using them we need objects of interest that allows us to create nice pictures and videos.
If more and more restictions are coming the upcoming quadcopter industry will be disrupted and becomes a short blib on the radarscreen of history!

Somehow gouvernments have to learn to deal with new technologies and find ways to protect the many (within reason) without curtailing individual freedoms. Would our founding fathers considered flying a quad to take pictures and videos the pursue of happiness? If they would have known they might have. Somehow it feels back then they just have been wiser and much more balanced. We can only hope that the industry is already big enough to have some pull and fights for some reasonable rules that work for most.

I agree, I fly a phantom for nice interesting views to take picture and video of. Not just fly in an empty open deserted area with nothing to see. That all has its place for maybe practicing certain flight maneuvers but at the end of the day I want to fly to see things that matter through that nice HD live video feed. More ridiculous restrictions isn't the answer and not wanting people to fly their quads in parks is also the dumbest thing ever as that's one of the safer areas one can choose to fly.

I just want to thank you all for your mutual understanding, encouragement, and compliments. I just expected a bunch of trolls but was pleasantly surprised by your responses.

Cheers,
Aaron
This is a wonderful community with great people in it! I have new hope that I will find great new locations to fly at, and am hoping to keep my P3 now. Here is one last shot taken from Magnuson Park overlooking lake Washington.

HDR Magnuson Park _Panorama SMALL.jpg

Reactions: Oso
This is a wonderful community with great people in it! I have new hope that I will find great new locations to fly at, and am hoping to keep my P3 now. Here is one last shot taken from Magnuson Park overlooking lake Washington.

View attachment 30999
I love the picture sir. Thanks for sharing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik