Bought my Phantom 4 from best Buy today...

Reaction score
So I have been drooling ever since the release of the P4. I loved the new features in theory, as I know that not everything is 100%, especially right out of the gate. I sat back and watched the early adopters buy theirs, complain about this, complain about that etc. And while I know DJI has had it's fair share of disappointments on early releases, and that there will inevitably be lemons in the mix (assembly line computers have failure rates too, for crying out loud... it's mass produced technology with tiny working electrical parts that are sensitive to many things, including being tossed around by a shipping carrier), but I have to say I am angry for listening to ALL the complainers.

I had one heck of a deal today at Best Buy. my mother in law gave me a $600 gift card to BB for helping them with their computers (I am an IT professional, network engineer and System Administrator for a Bank) all the time as well as the rest of their family when trouble arises. I tried NOT to take it, but gladly did in the end. In deciding what to do with my new found "extra" cash, I found that my local BB (I live in Southern Illinois, lots of rural farm area here...) had a P4 in stock, as well as 3DR Solo, Yuneec, etc etc etc... I currently have a P3 Advanced and a Standard, so my preference is DJI, and my experience with DJI has been a pleasant one, so naturally that is what I gravitated towards. They had a local promotion that if you buy any technology product with a new BB Credit Card, you get 15% off as well as I could choose 12 months at 0%... so i signed up and was awarded a BB card, I mean how could I pass this up? If I didn't like it I was even told I could bring it back in 15 days, no harm no foul.

Fast forward to the last couple hours... I updated Firmware, and charged the batteries... Calibrated the IMU and flew like a freaking champ! My only regret thus far is that I listened to the complaints and haven't purchased one sooner. What a great little machine, and I love my custom builds and my P3's mind you, but this thing is absolutely amazing, especially in sport mode!

If I could change one thing (so far) it would be the updating of the Firmware. I prefer the SD card method, but as far as I can tell, you must connect the P4 to your mobile device or a PC to install the firmware? That was a small hassle, but not terrible, and didn't take long.

Have others had similar success? Am I the only one? Have I completely created a redundant thread that will get deleted quickly? lol

Not that I would, but I would totally sell my P3's and just have this one if I had too... I won't, because I love my P3's and have them for specific purposes, but I would not be overly depressed if I had to keep only one, and I would choose this!

For those on the fence and who have the money, and are having troubles deciding.....don't let the negativity scare you away!!!!!

If you truly don't need the features included in the P4 that aren't on the P3, and you are trying to figure out what Multirotor to buy, then stick with a P3 Advanced, you can't go wrong there either, but if you can swing the $1399, by all means get t his puppy!

/rant

Love mine. Also got mine form Bestbuy, but I got it on release day. I'm new to drone flying and loving it. Bought a Yuneec Typhoon 4K originally and had it a few weeks took it back swapped for a P3P after doing lots of reading. Then few weeks later the P4 comes out and just couldn't contain myself not to swap for it. Haven't had any issues really. Other then interference with FPV sometimes but I'm also in a city with lots of it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: arcaine25
I was one of those with a bad P4 lemon experience directly from DJI. Bought my 2nd P4 from Best Buy yesterday, and no gimbal squeak, after setting it up, unlike the first one. So far, so good. First flight tonight. Having 30 days to fully test it, as an Elite member, with a walk-in replacement, as necessary, is very reassuring! Well worth the sales tax! :cool:

I was one of those with a bad P4 lemon experience directly from DJI. Bought my 2nd P4 from Best Buy yesterday, and no gimbal squeak, after setting it up, unlike the first one. So far, so good. First flight tonight. Having 30 days to fully test it, as an Elite member, with a walk-in replacement, as necessary, is very reassuring! Well worth the sales tax! :cool:

That's part of the reason I love buying from Bestbuy is that exchange policy lol!

Love mine. Also got mine form Bestbuy, but I got it on release day. I'm new to drone flying and loving it. Bought a Yuneec Typhoon 4K originally and had it a few weeks took it back swapped for a P3P after doing lots of reading. Then few weeks later the P4 comes out and just couldn't contain myself not to swap for it. Haven't had any issues really. Other then interference with FPV sometimes but I'm also in a city with lots of it!

I was looking at the Yuneec Typhoon 4k while I was there, it just never appealed to me, and honestly lightbridge really sells it for me. I mostly prefer my custom builds for certain applications, and my Hex is my super stable platform (running a Tarot 680 pro with a Tarot ZYX-M FC, Tiger Motors MN3110's and Tiger motor CF props, 30ish minutes flight time with gimbal and cam, love that thing!) but the Phantom 3 and now Phantom 4 are my other performer choices. Glad to know it wasn't a fluke that mine is a good machine.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience to start, but glad your new one so far seems to be working out. I know technology is not without hiccups, but some people get super critical over the tiniest details (like the battery life, but the P3 doesn't get it's "specified up to" flight time either lol"

Reactions: Spidermonkey983
Isn't elite 45 days?

Can't wait to truly test out the battery so far only been running to around 50% then recharge.

Can't wait to truly test out the battery so far only been running to around 50% then recharge.

So far I have been consistently getting 19:45 and 20:15 with 20% - 19% remaining when I catch it. this is 3 flights now though, the 3rd was in between the two listed times.

Last edited:
I had the same thing, except $390 off in Best Buy certs from customer service, had the P3P for 36 days and returned it for a P4, had a small scare the first night with the update, the dang cable was no good, after replaced it I had one more hiccup, the gimbal wasn't calibrating even though it said it was, that happened twice in a row and hasn't happened again, I think it wasn't level.

But it was smooth as silk since on everything, I've since took it out so far beyond my abilities and have brought it back from a mile out at 300' everytime with all full bars, I too am stoked to own it, I will say, I'm not as brand loyal and I'm going to see what's up with the TyphoonH, if it's that good tomorrow I'll wait for BB to stock em, and replace this P4.....sorry, my loyalty isn't to DJI, it's to me and my enjoyment, with that said, it will have to be better then good for me to swap out anything that's lightbridge for something that isn't.

It's a big win for DJI to have gotten into retail outlets that have their own return and guarantee policies. I have 2 P3P's, and a Yuneec Typhoon H ordered. Almost got a Phantom 4, but decided on the other brand this time. But I'll be all over the Phantom 5 I bet!

Reactions: arcaine25
Isn't elite 45 days?

At $2500 your elite so that's 30 days return on most things, once your above $3500 it's elite plus, which is BS, it used to be just $2500 to get the 45d return exchange, btw they didn't even really look at the craft on exchange, I guess I have an honest face,

It's a big win for DJI to have gotten into retail outlets that have their own return and guarantee policies. I have 2 P3P's, and a Yuneec Typhoon H ordered. Almost got a Phantom 4, but decided on the other brand this time. But I'll be all over the Phantom 5 I bet!
Do you get it tomorrow then? Or has the lawsuit stopped shipments? What do u know? It sure is a nice looking copter, love the redundant 6 blade idea, and the raised gear, not to mention it's the coolest looking ST16 RC ever!

Do you get it tomorrow then? Or has the lawsuit stopped shipments? What do u know? It sure is a nice looking copter, love the redundant 6 blade idea, and the raised gear, not to mention it's the coolest looking ST16 RC ever!
Not for sure. It's an Amazon deal, preorder, they say available tomorrow. That's all I know. Hoping to hear something from them tomorrow, though! Oh, and the 360 camera!

Went to my local BB last year and bought a $750 sound for my wife for Christmas. Was paying for it with my BB card when the sales kid says, "I've heard about you guys but never actually met one! I said one what and he said, "An Elite Plus member!" I said don't get too excited. That just means I'm too stupid to quit spending all my money at BB.

I had the same thing, except $390 off in Best Buy certs from customer service, had the P3P for 36 days and returned it for a P4, had a small scare the first night with the update, the dang cable was no good, after replaced it I had one more hiccup, the gimbal wasn't calibrating even though it said it was, that happened twice in a row and hasn't happened again, I think it wasn't level.

But it was smooth as silk since on everything, I've since took it out so far beyond my abilities and have brought it back from a mile out at 300' everytime with all full bars, I too am stoked to own it, I will say, I'm not as brand loyal and I'm going to see what's up with the TyphoonH, if it's that good tomorrow I'll wait for BB to stock em, and replace this P4.....sorry, my loyalty isn't to DJI, it's to me and my enjoyment, with that said, it will have to be better then good for me to swap out anything that's lightbridge for something that isn't.

I'm not onboard with DJI because it's DJI, but because so far the features I need / want only they offer. My biggest thing is / was the ability to stream through an app back to a mobile device with waypoints, POI, etc. At the time I bought my first Phantom they were leaders in distance for flights with those capabilities. I've been able to get my custom builds to not only fly great distances but stream video great distances too, but no "app" support yet. I am sure though that with this typhoon H, and various other competitors coming into the same as DJI, I won't always "stick" with them, but for now they have everything I need and want. lol

Reactions: Sim597
Went to my local BB last year and bought a $750 sound for my wife for Christmas. Was paying for it with my BB card when the sales kid says, "I've heard about you guys but never actually met one! I said one what and he said, "An Elite Plus member!" I said don't get too excited. That just means I'm too stupid to quit spending all my money at BB.
Haha - that makes me realize I have been spending way too much money at Best Buy. However they have never questioned a return I have made within the 45 day limit. I love BB - they match literally just about any price you can find and you don't get attacked by salesmen either.

I have a buddy that's going to get the Typhoon H at the end of the month. They make good products just lack on optics in my opinion. Also can't get over the fact its so slow lol. But with the Intel realsense attached its going to be awesome for tracking. I Stoll want it one yo go with the P4

Reactions: Sim597

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic