Blinking grass and trees on 4K and FHD

Reaction score
Hello guys.
I’m new here and that’s my first post. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and I hope together we can figure out what’s the problem.
I have phantom 4 and I have noticed that on 4K footage in the park, the grass and trees lightly blinking. I checked most videos I did with my p4 and I found that blinking grass even on FHD 1920/1080 30P when I did range test.
I’ll try to upload some video where maybe you can see that.
It’s more visible when I watch on TV then on laptop.
I’m so tired with this issue and hope to find solution here.
Again thanks for all suggestions

Try lowering some custom camera settings in GO. Sharpening is over done, I use to have that problem and I reduced the setting to -1 sharpen, -1 contrast, -1 saturation and now the image is good. Your results may vary as it also depends on what you watch it on. you may have to go -2 sharpen. 3D noise reduction may also help.

Try lowering some custom camera settings in GO. Sharpening is over done, I use to have that problem and I reduced the setting to -1 sharpen, -1 contrast, -1 saturation and now the image is good. Your results may vary as it also depends on what you watch it on. you may have to go -2 sharpen. 3D noise reduction may also help.

Thanks Erised. I’m going to try lower all set as you and hope it will help.
Any ideas to get more smooth video when rotating? Thanks

what’s that 3D noise for? I saw YouTube video that it’s blurry the grass when it’s on
What’s the difference if I have this Off? Many thanks for this explanation

Thanks Erised. I’m going to try lower all set as you and hope it will help.
Any ideas to get more smooth video when rotating? Thanks
In go you have "exp" settings. this controls the amount of input needed to yaw the craft. The settings are something like .2 to .8 and .5 the curve is flat. If you lower the setting below .5 the input of the sticks will be slower in the beginning to get smoother turns, the 100% max will still be their.

In go you have "exp" settings. this controls the amount of input needed to yaw the craft. The settings are something like .2 to .8 and .5 the curve is flat. If you lower the setting below .5 the input of the sticks will be slower in the beginning to get smoother turns, the 100% max will still be their.
Make sure your Shutter speed is double your frame speed. That's why we use nd filters.

Thanks guys. It’s very helpful.
What nd filter should I buy for sunny days and cloudy?
I change exp and it’s perfect:)

Reactions: Erised
ND filters even on a sunny day will vary depending on what you are shooting. You want to keep the iso low for a crisp image and if your shutter speed is too low and your close to the object you will get blurr, you will need to test these out. Your right wheel adjust your exposure + or -. Try to keep your settings as close to 0 as possible, -1 to +1 is fine, -2 to +2 is not bad but if you have to adjust more than that change your ND filter to compensate, if your too high try a darker filter.

Reactions: Sebastian87
ND filters even on a sunny day will vary depending on what you are shooting. You want to keep the iso low for a crisp image and if your shutter speed is too low and your close to the object you will get blurr, you will need to test these out. Your right wheel adjust your exposure + or -. Try to keep your settings as close to 0 as possible, -1 to +1 is fine, -2 to +2 is not bad but if you have to adjust more than that change your ND filter to compensate, if your too high try a darker filter.

Thanks. I understand almost everything:)
What do you mean ‘shatter too low’ for exp?
I’m going to shoot a small lake with tall buildings around (I would like to make 3-4min continue video starting low above the lake and then raise up and spin around the building-sunny day)
What setting would you use without nd filters to get smooth video and without flickering grass or water or trees :)
ISO low like 100 to 400 If sunny day
Then I mostly need 160-320 shatter. Is that ok?
Auto or Manual ISO?
Auto WB
3D noise reduction is better on or off? And why?
VIdeo size UHD 30fps for most video? In the park, lake, buildings or view flying?
I have more and more questions and I really would like to understand that setting then just know what should I use. Please answer my questions if you can and appreciate for more tips from you and all of you guys.
Many thanks

I’m trying to upload some video with that blinking trees and I also found blinking water on one video.
Hopefully can share that with you tonight.

I tried this settings in my garden without flying yet and looks like you’re right.
I lower in style to -1/-1/-1, Auto WB,
3D Noise On (I still don’t see any difference between on/off)
4K/30fps and Manual setting for iso and shatter and looks like there is no blinking on the trees or grass anymore.
I hope it will work on sunny day and I will get rid of this flashing/blinking shadow.
As soon I done the test I’ll let you know the results.
For now BIG thanks

I still have flashing grass and trees
I think it’s ok on FHD/60fps but
4K/30
Style -1/-1/-1
Fixed WB
Manual ISO and SH using Instagram
EV -1/+1
3D noise ON
Camera position a bit lower to avoid shadow from propellers
Anti-flicker AUTO
And still FUC..’N flashing :/

Here is two links where you can see that blinking/flashing water and tree
1st link shows slightly blinking/flashing water (it’s the dark footage)
2nd link shows flashing tree at the last 2-3 seconds of the video and also at the very beginning the grass after I take off.
Both videos are playing on the TV from my laptop and recorded using iPhone so I can show you exactly the issue
However different it looks on booth videos it’s the same issue and it happens every time I fly close to the ground or objects like tall antenna.
Please please advise!

Actually YouTube correct a bit that video with the tree and I’m not sure if you can see that blinking
But as I said it happen exactly the same as on the water and as you see nothing else is blinking just that part of the tree and on the first video only water. Wired

Actually YouTube correct a bit that video with the tree and I’m not sure if you can see that blinking
But as I said it happen exactly the same as on the water and as you see nothing else is blinking just that part of the tree and on the first video only water. Wired
Resolution of your video on youtube is only 240, upload to at least 720 or 1080. What app are you using to play your videos and on witch device?

Resolution of your video on youtube is only 240, upload to at least 720 or 1080. What app are you using to play your videos and on witch device?

On 4 years old TOSHIBA laptop and standard media player from windows8.
To show this problem I can’t upload original video on YouTube because it will be corrected automatically and you won’t see it. I will try to upload the same videos but better resolution if possible
Also today/tomorrow I’ll try to find another video with this issue and try to upload original on YouTube
Is there anything you can say about “night” video? Flashing lake?

I tried today MANY different settings
and I have that slightly flashing grass AFTER WB “lock”
I was watching only on my laptop (without TV) and it’s less visible but it’s still there !!!! Wrrrrrr....
I need to know!!!
I went to -2 all in style and was the same.
Maybe filters will help?
Guys! some of you must know the solution.. I’m beginner and need your help. Thanks all

The media player in windows is not very good, try VLC player, it's a free download and it works very well with all types of video formats. The flashing could be from your laptop that has a hard time or the player.

Reactions: Sebastian87
I’m going to try that player.
Also I have some new videos which I’ll upload and post the link
I’ll try 720p or higher and I hope it will be visible.
I’ll let you know about VLC Player
Thankful

If that player doesn’t help I’ll try to make another test and set all available settings on Manual and try without Auto.
What drone you using? If is phantom4 could you try your without nd filters and if you don’t have any issue then just tell me your all settings so I could try on my?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT