Birdside Antenna Mod

I looked into that... It seems I am wrong.... :(
The PCB antennae are not Directional...
2X 2.4Ghz 4dbi internal antenna PCB built-in aerial OMNI ipex 47.5*7.2mm NEW | eBay
They are Omni :)
This seems like it is the OEM Leg antenna...
It is Omni...
and So Is the R/C OEM ones...
They do not have a shield or (panel) to direct the signal
Which would make them Directional...
Soooo... Their placement (orientation) other than vertical should not be of any concern...
Ok good news can't wait to fly this P3 and see what it can do,that will be the ultimate test! Will have to wait until spring to test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennethMcNutt
Here is the pic of the dudes setup...View attachment 77577
I love that!!! Really!!!
But the issue is vertical "polarization" The antenna on the remote are vertical..
So the ones on the Bird should be too...
It would be "BEST" to use a "clover" on the bird side?
They do not have this issue of vertical "polarization"
Antennae FAQ....
The Higher db the antenna the more directional it is... (because at high db most are directionality "focused" in their design)
A "panel" antenna has four antennae on it... And are phased to combine those signals together. So to increase the signal strength. But only can "see" 30% left to right up and down... A Coil antenna does the same thing the coil (with the right circumference) Does this Phasing in the coil design... It receives the signal along the coil multiple times and orientations... Combining them also, which in turn boosts the db..
1f642.png
:) Pole antenna receive the signal once... and only from the direction (orientation) the transmitter antenna is in..(usually vertical)
1f609.png
;)
Visualize ocean waves coming at you... Flowing across the antenna, your pole antenna gets hit once, Your "Coil" one, the wave flows up the coil (gets hit many times) the "patch" Panel gets hit once but it has four antennae and through wiring, it acts as if it was hit four times.... Now turn the ocean wave on its side and you have a "radio wave" (because they are vertical... They are transmitted by "POLE" antennae that are vertical..
1f642.png
:) He talks about the dish and Yagi type antenna The concept is similar... I explained Pole, Panel, and coil because they are what is normally used in the R/C world... I could explain them also if anyone cares to hear it.... LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvI2_FD9H8
Since I mention "CLOVER" I would best describe that like this...
A pole or any of the other antenna I just described are like An over or under hand pitcher... Throwing a hand of "seed" straight in a line top to bottom or bottom to top......
A Clover "pitcher" would throw it like he was "broadcasting" the seed...(in an arch from bottom to top...
Thus making the signals leave it at "ALL Orientations" ;)

Last edited:
Where do you buy those antennas?
I'm getting more and more interested...[emoji106][emoji23]
I'w done all the RC modifications with those cheap panel antennas and 4W boosters and battery mod.

I'w done all the RC modifications with those cheap panel antennas and 4W boosters and battery mod.
Helipal.com it's posted in this thread.good luck with ur mod?:) Page 1

Yes, my mods are working greate. Have been flying 7 km out in low altitude, but my biggest consern is battery endurance... Right now I'm using one extra DJI battery under the VPS. Getting about 27-28 min flight time [emoji6]

Reactions: Digdat0
Someone say Booster??

Attachments

• 20170302_113452.jpg
    20170302_113452.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 286
  • 20161029_200510.jpg
    20161029_200510.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 328
Congratulations!!! 10 miles whaoo :) ... I work 7-8 miles from home and on the busy day it takes me 40 min on a 320hp v8 ... how long will it take in your bird ? 15min ? It's maybe only 6 miles in a strait line I bet less ...
we need to copy a phantom to a bigger scale to ride on ;-) ... no worries about antenna as you will carry the RC with you. Forget about RTH ...

Someone say Booster??
These amplifiers are not good. They have a lot of noise and require a regulated power supply.
Why are you using two amplifiers?
Also, not to be critical, but those antennas are worse than the originals. Try some Alfa antennas. I have both, the Alfa antennas are awesome!
Have you have any luck with the amplifiers?

in did Alfa antennas are great and cheap... I have way better results in the city with them that with my DBS and only $6 each... I bet its because you lose some with the connectors and cable and the alfas screw right in... Boosted would be another history.

Alfa products are designed for long reach in mind. I wonder if hey have any small pcb panel for this application , but I doubt we are going to find a better choice than those RC panels ...

Some or most of the panel antennas like the alfas are PC boards with a metal plate behind them to deflect the signal forward.

Each one of those connections is a loss of db.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

one other fact to mention each sma connection decreases your DBI by 1 DBI.

Do you 2 have any proof of this? Please post links to this information.

I'm betting it's more like 1/10th or even less of a db.

EDIT: It's .04 of a DB. LOL, that might shorten your range by.... 3 feet?

https://linxtechnologies.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/connector_overview_guide.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Procharged97
IMG_0621.JPG
Hey guys she is done,instead of completely taking the p3 apart,what I did is remove each antenna disconnected from lightbridge.then snake each wire though the p3 and re conected the wire.it was fast and easy.30 mins hope this helps.time for a test flite ooooooyaa!:)

Last edited:
Give us some news Silver! I'm modding mine now, gonna be 30 mph winds tomorrow.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart