Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

Reactions: Shaw520
Great mod here "Matts175". Over 7000 meters (23,241 feet) to be exact, and had good FPV video and full telemetry the whole way out and back in a STANDARD. Using Litchi in manual mode, not a waypoint mission. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Awesome run.. Now I have to mount the bats and try. What voltage did you charge them to and did you have the "trying to charge main bat" problem? Did you 100% charge main bat with the bat on trick? Thanks William, GREAT RUN..

Awesome run.. Now I have to mount the bats and try. What voltage did you charge them to and did you have the "trying to charge main bat" problem? Did you 100% charge main bat with the bat on trick? Thanks William, GREAT RUN..
Some good questions. They are 15.2v batteries, and I changed them to full (4.35 per cell). As for the main battery, I always change to full before any flight. And for the charging trick, I've done it both ways when using externals. Anyhow if you just got done charging your battery to full, not really sure how much more that trick really accomplishes anything. And I've had no issues so far with the battery going into charging mode.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind with our standards having such short range. It only makes sense to do a battery mod on them if you have already solved the signal range issue. If you're getting RTH because of battery percent and still have signal strength to spare, repeatedly. Then you know you're there.

Reactions: k9time
Plus, you can get away with a lot smaller lighter batteries on the PIII standard and bring out more time with them then you would get with that same battery on its big brothers. One flight I did I lost signal at 49,000 feet and had such big batteries on there that it flew on its own in RTH for 5 miles before I picked signal back up. So there's that peace of mind even when you think you're not going to fly that far that if you never pick signal back up it has plenty of juice to make it back.

I love my homemade dipoles, but I always have to tinker. I put antennas from a Professional/Advanced on to my Standard. It is VERY cold and windy out today.... so I only took it to 4000 feet and back. Then hovered overhead and took some great sunset pics. Video signal was excellent. I'll get a true distance test when it warms up a bit. This was more of a let's see if it even works test. Also, I left my other mod (dipoles) in place for now, just not hooked up. I don't want to undo all of that and then have to put it back.

I did them opposite the 5.8ghz... which 2 of the 4 antenna set are the 2.4gig? Going to put them on a P3S. Thanks.

Front/Left

View attachment 77613

And Right/Rear

View attachment 77614

Yes, I'll grab some white zip ties, so that it blends in a little more. LOL

You quoted me, but didn't say anything? LOL
Oops! I am replacing the bird side 2.4gig antennas on a P3S. Ordered an antenna set for a P3A. There are 4 antennas. Which 2 are for 2.4gig? Are they all the same?

Can't wait to try these out now [emoji3]

4b1dc8afa324acf26ef7cb682e8e4b9b.jpg
9eaf96a901872bb42c2f922d6067817e.jpg
c02171c49ad0c7b94649b76784718b26.jpg
c875f48454d749e6d654fd95b522e8d7.jpg

Can't wait to try these out now [emoji3]

4b1dc8afa324acf26ef7cb682e8e4b9b.jpg
9eaf96a901872bb42c2f922d6067817e.jpg
c02171c49ad0c7b94649b76784718b26.jpg
c875f48454d749e6d654fd95b522e8d7.jpg
Looks good, but you might want to switch the legs your using to the opposite side. You have that one antenna right up against the compass sensor.
I did this very same mod and that's how I did it. The compass is not something you want to mess up.

Looks good, but you might want to switch the legs your using to the opposite side. You have that one antenna right up against the compass sensor.

So you recommend running the 2.4s on the same legs as the 5.8s ? Or at least avoiding the leg with the compass attached to it?

Last edited:
I had it near the compass and it worked completely fine. See picture in post #1. New owner is having zero problems as well.

So you recommend running the 2.4s on the same legs as the 5.8s ? Or at least avoiding the leg with the compass attached to it?
Sorry I forgot about the 5.8 GHz antennas, I've have a 5.8 antenna mod as well and those have been removed on my Phantom. So no, don't put them both on the same legs.

Reactions: 805hd
I had it near the compass and it worked completely fine. See picture in post #1. New owner is having zero problems as well.
I'd rather be safe than sorry and keep anything metallic away from the compass sensor. But at the very least I would suggest doing a compass calibration after installing something like that near the compass sensor.

I have the same birdside mod as Matts175 on my P3S. My compass mod values stayed the same before the mod. There is no iron/magnetic properties in those antennas.

I bought a crashed P3S on ebay, had everything but the battery. Guy crashed it in his pool, I wanted another bird to tinker with so I took a gamble on this. Out of the box it looked perfect, put a battery in and it flew, records video perfect, only problem was I could only get about 300-400 feet and lose video.

I purchased some of the P3A antennas and put them on and my first flight I got 1300 feet. Not bad, I plan on getting it working a little better and selling it.

Then get another project bird!

Reactions: 805hd

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT