Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

Ta daaaa, made extra long gear with mounting points for antennas
dM1POIG.jpg

Will this 2.4GHz mod help with the data downlink and Litchi app disconnections too? Or is that on the 5.8GHz antenna?

Ok im new to moding my bird. I got the antenna but it came 4 in the kit. Do i just do the gimbal cables only. I watched the vid on post #7. I just wanna make sure im doing it alright.

Do i keep the original antennas that go to the top of my main chip board or do i hook up the other 2 antennas that came in the kit?

Sorry noob here. Dont wanna mess anything up

Ok im new to moding my bird. I got the antenna but it came 4 in the kit. Do i just do the gimbal cables only. I watched the vid on post #7. I just wanna make sure im doing it alright.

Do i keep the original antennas that go to the top of my main chip board or do i hook up the other 2 antennas that came in the kit?

Sorry noob here. Dont wanna mess anything up

Yes, you only use 2. I used the 2 with the shorter wires. Only hook them up to the top of the gimbal. DO NOT take the bird apart. You can just leave the original square patch antennas inside and it won't hurt anything.

Yes, you only use 2. I used the 2 with the shorter wires. Only hook them up to the top of the gimbal. DO NOT take the bird apart. You can just leave the original square patch antennas inside and it won't hurt anything.

Thank u. Got a little nervous. Much appreciated

will be doing this for my Standard antennas ordered. I also have a P3 4K anyone know if the antennas on that bird are the same ones on the PRO ?

I have two antennas left over from my mod so they're up for sale if anyone's interested I used the short ones that came in the package so I have the longer ones left over

I love my homemade dipoles, but I always have to tinker. I put antennas from a Professional/Advanced on to my Standard. It is VERY cold and windy out today.... so I only took it to 4000 feet and back. Then hovered overhead and took some great sunset pics. Video signal was excellent. I'll get a true distance test when it warms up a bit. This was more of a let's see if it even works test. Also, I left my other mod (dipoles) in place for now, just not hooked up. I don't want to undo all of that and then have to put it back.

I did them opposite the 5.8ghz...

EDIT : (9/27/2017) THIS IS ONLY FOR THE 2.4ghz SIGNAL. The 2.4ghz signal is your video feed. This does NOT replace your 5.8ghz antennas. The 5.8Ghz signal is for your control. Hope this clears up some confusion.

See post #7 on how to install. You DO NOT and SHOULD NOT need to take the lid off of the bird.

Front/Left

View attachment 77613

And Right/Rear

View attachment 77614

Yes, I'll grab some white zip ties, so that it blends in a little more. LOL

Hi, I'm planning on doing this mod. I purchased the antennas, and after zip tying them to the legs according to this pic, I realized they are close to the compass. Could this cause any issues?

Hi, I'm planning on doing this mod. I purchased the antennas, and after zip tying them to the legs according to this pic, I realized they are close to the compass. Could this cause any issues?
Mikosmitho why don't you look for a set of antenna's off of a Phantom 3 4k 2 are 2.4 and 2 are 5.8. just like the Adv and pro looking.

Thanks for the tip on the 4K antennas, I'll look into upgrading the 5.8 later. I'm mainly concerned with attaching the new antennas to the legs and causing any issues with the compass.
The video range I'm getting is horrible, only about 200' out, and less than 150' up with constant freezes and stuttering, even out in the open, free of WiFi interference. This cheap antenna mod looked very promising.

I have the same birdside mod as Matts175 on my P3S. My compass mod values stayed the same before the mod. There is no iron/magnetic properties in those antennas.
That's great to hear! I even started my own thread asking about the very same. I was so paranoid about interfering with the compass I taped one of the antennas to the side of the body. Looks like crap, but now I know its not a problem.

Thanks for the tip on the 4K antennas, I'll look into upgrading the 5.8 later. I'm mainly concerned with attaching the new antennas to the legs and causing any issues with the compass.
The video range I'm getting is horrible, only about 200' out, and less than 150' up with constant freezes and stuttering, even out in the open, free of WiFi interference. This cheap antenna mod looked very promising.
wow i would be check other oroblem if that is the best you can get. a fdw months back i took a stock phantom 3 standard out 9000 ft .that is where i started losing video feed. i was about 160 ft up. i think j could of made 2 mile if i went higher. the problems your having can be from your phone.

Never had any issues and the new owner of my P3S hasn't had any either.

wow i would be check other oroblem if that is the best you can get. a fdw months back i took a stock phantom 3 standard out 9000 ft .that is where i started losing video feed. i was about 160 ft up. i think j could of made 2 mile if i went higher. the problems your having can be from your phone.
I thought it could be my phone at 1st, Galaxy S6, so I factory reset it. Didn't make much of a difference. I won an auction pin ebay for a phantom 3 advanced for 250, what showed up was a standard in advanced packaging. I was refunded a large portion of it back and was able to keep it. So I'm just trying to make the best of it. I keep hearing about stock ranges like what you and many others are getting. Any tips where I should start looking?

I thought it could be my phone at 1st, Galaxy S6, so I factory reset it. Didn't make much of a difference. I won an auction pin ebay for a phantom 3 advanced for 250, what showed up was a standard in advanced packaging. I was refunded a large portion of it back and was able to keep it. So I'm just trying to make the best of it. I keep hearing about stock ranges like what you and many others are getting. Any tips where I should start looking?
The Samsung S6 should be ok but I've never used one. See if you can find a friend with a iphone and see if that makes any difference. I use a Samsung Note 5 or note 4. I have used a LG Tab8 but the LG does not work any more it does that your S8 is doing. The Lg would work fine with the DJI GO but not with the DJI Go 4. See if you can use any other phone and see if there is any difference. If that does not help try a different location. where your flying may have a lot of signal from business or houses. or if you are trying to get through trees. Does the signal look strong in the app before you start losing the video? how is the controller signal?

I love my homemade dipoles, but I always have to tinker. I put antennas from a Professional/Advanced on to my Standard. It is VERY cold and windy out today.... so I only took it to 4000 feet and back. Then hovered overhead and took some great sunset pics. Video signal was excellent. I'll get a true distance test when it warms up a bit. This was more of a let's see if it even works test. Also, I left my other mod (dipoles) in place for now, just not hooked up. I don't want to undo all of that and then have to put it back.

I did them opposite the 5.8ghz...

EDIT : (9/27/2017) THIS IS ONLY FOR THE 2.4ghz SIGNAL. The 2.4ghz signal is your video feed. This does NOT replace your 5.8ghz antennas. The 5.8Ghz signal is for your control. Hope this clears up some confusion.

See post #7 on how to install. You DO NOT and SHOULD NOT need to take the lid off of the bird.

Front/Left

View attachment 77613

And Right/Rear

View attachment 77614

Yes, I'll grab some white zip ties, so that it blends in a little more. LOL

Where did you get that gimbal guard setup? It looks like there’s a clamp on the skids that hold it on.

The signal for both look strong, then past 50 to 75 ' up I get a control signal low warning. Its intermittent, then at 300' up its a steady control warning and the video is all but frozen. I know taking it straight over head can cause issues, so I try to take it as far as I'm comfortable with, about 100' or so. Scary situation when its up there and this happens. I tried to take it out to the lake and pretty much the same, and there is a ton of latency and stutters in the video. The video signal strength meter doesn't really drop very much. I tried on an LG X8.3 and it was even worse. I'll see if I can try it on my wife's iPhone S6 plus. Its a new replacement from AppleCare just a few weeks old. I'll post my findings.

The signal for both look strong, then past 50 to 75 ' up I get a control signal low warning. Its intermittent, then at 300' up its a steady control warning and the video is all but frozen. I know taking it straight over head can cause issues, so I try to take it as far as I'm comfortable with, about 100' or so. Scary situation when its up there and this happens. I tried to take it out to the lake and pretty much the same, and there is a ton of latency and stutters in the video. The video signal strength meter doesn't really drop very much. I tried on an LG X8.3 and it was even worse. I'll see if I can try it on my wife's iPhone S6 plus. Its a new replacement from AppleCare just a few weeks old. I'll post my findings.
if your getting weak control signal i am thinking there is more problems. either the transmitter in the drone (gimbal housing) or controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20