Big job Batteries (calculator/app)

You might want to put some thought into how to deal with all of the data and all the identical folder names created by the 3 drones and all the folders with all the identical file names. It’s doable but just be prepared. Also maybe consider having each pilot back up each card every 5 flights. It sux when a card dies with a bunch of data. It also sux when you make a nice map or image with a hole in it.

If there’s any wind you’ll be lucky to get 15 minutes per battery of mapping time. Don’t forget you have to fly back and out again to change the battery.
I have a small ryobi construction generator that I use for this. It’s rated at 2000 watts.
I have nine batteries per Drone And two three-way chargers. As it has been stated the battery needs to cool. I keep the truck running and set them on an AC vent.
Whatever you decide upon sure to test it in advance to make sure your assumptions are accurate

Interesting topic and I found the answer by @JimD. to be exactly what I use if I have to fly continuously on a job with one of my P4P V 2.0s or RTK. It’s not based on any great scientific method that I came up with that number, I’m just conservative and I like to make all my gear last including my batteries.

My thought process is based on the old “let your battery cool for as long as you used it before charging” mind set.

I line up 9 batteries, I pick up battery 1 and insert it in the aircraft and fly for around 20 minutes up to RTH, on landing it could be anywhere between 25% and 35% depending on conditions and the flight profile.

I remove the battery 1 and place it down to cool and insert and fly battery 2, on landing I remove battery 2 and place it down to cool, put battery 1 on charge and insert battery 3 and fly

Wash, lather, repeat inserting a new battery, placing the just flown battery down to cool and putting the previous battery on charge with each flight. I use two multi chargers and can have 6 batteries charging at peak.

By that method I find that 9 batteries keeps me in the air all day with a little wriggle room for the battery that’s just come off charge to cool a little before going into the aircraft and gives me peace of mind that I’m not remotely abusing my batteries.

So 3 aircraft .. 27 batteries by that method.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: JimD.
Lot of ways to look at this one. Hopefully, someone with similar experience to yours will answer. My comments are on a "per drone" basis. I would just use 25 minutes of flight time and 75 minutes to charge as a basis. If you had three chargers then three batteries should keep you flying full time. In the real world you might want to be more conservative.... 20 minutes fly/90 minutes charge etc. I tend to favor buying more new chargers than batteries. Hope this helps.
Oops - already mentioned (cool down period) by others…

Last edited:
I did it myself and made a spread sheet. That can be used for any drone if you know average flight time. Made it so I could work out number of batteries needed, chargers used and flyers. I worked it out at 20min per flight. Can adjust though.
Do you mind sharing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj