Best tablet for DJI GO

I've been away from the forum for awhile, but back now. I made a video not long ago about the tablet buying dilemma... really there is no dilemma. Here's the vid:

I should have known that you were a member of this forum! I actually stumbled on your video while researching tablets and it was a huge help. Thank you very much.

You mention that in your opinion lag isn't a big issue unless you're flying fast. I took your word for it because it made sense to me. When I decided on my first tablet, there was lag but I gave it a shot anyway. I don't race or even go very fast, but have to say he lag made me feel less secure as far as safety. Sure, I shouldn't be flying into a situation in which I need to make split second decisions to avoid crashing, but in the event something happened, I would prefer to be able to handle it smoothy as possible.

As a whole though your video was great! Thanks again!

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
I should have known that you were a member of this forum! I actually stumbled on your video while researching tablets and it was a huge help. Thank you very much.

You mention that in your opinion lag isn't a big issue unless you're flying fast. I took your word for it because it made sense to me. When I decided on my first tablet, there was lag but I gave it a shot anyway. I don't race or even go very fast, but have to say he lag made me feel less secure as far as safety. Sure, I shouldn't be flying into a situation in which I need to make split second decisions to avoid crashing, but in the event something happened, I would prefer to be able to handle it smoothy as possible.

As a whole though your video was great! Thanks again!
Thanks! Everyone in my family has different phones and tablets. This gives me a large testing ground in trying out different devices with DJI drones. The worst lag I saw was from an older Samsung tablet. Was a full second of lag. For flying line of sight or mildly slow (as you mostly do for nice photography) I found it still acceptable. However, if you're flying out of sight, fast, close to the ground or very near obstacles then the least amount of lag is optimal (1/10th of a second or better).

Reactions: Propagandy
Thought Id chime in..

I found over a test that the downlink data of 10/2 mbps from the P3P over the P3A doesn't really matter much at all. What I did find is the tablet does play a role. My fathers Galaxy tab S has a far clearer live video feed than my Galaxy tab pro. He has a P3P and I have a P3A.

Cropped%20view_zpsb4w2hahk.jpg

Did you know you can buy the Microraptor backpack without insert for $80. It's super high quality Denier 100 fabric. The insert in your hardcase fits the backpack soft cases. The backpack also has a zipper pouch for the ipad Air. It's also about 12lbs lighter than the hardcase. So if you don't need that heavy case, wheels, and handle, the backpack might be an option. I never use my Microrapter hardcase anymore, it's too cumbersome and heavy in comparison. To buy only the fabric backpack with no insert you have to call them at 619-660-2300 in San Diego.
View attachment 43702
View attachment 43703
I actually did a review of the hard and soft case a few months back for the P4. The P3 version is very similar and I love the flexibility of moving the foam insert between them. Here's a link to the review -

Because people are idiots. They tend to think their device/setup is the best yet lack the experience with other products.

No one is exempt from ignorance. Even on this forum..

I personally love apple devices. Love the simplicity. Amazing build quality. The fact that all my devices flat out work all the time with no hiccups or issues. Yet I use an android tablet dedicated to my drone.
I don't love apple.. Or android. In my opinion they are tools. I always say get the right tool for the job. That said I used my Air2 to fly exclusively until I bought the K1.. K1 is amazing. Lightening fast, removeable media, built in screen recorder and forward facing speakers. Automated upload of all flight data... The list goes on. However on bright days I prefer the apple because the screen is bigger and brighter.. Right tool for the job for me both are outstanding...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: kenjancef
I don't love apple.. Or android. In my opinion they are tools. I always say get the right tool for the job. That said I used my Air2 to fly exclusively until I bought the K1.. K1 is amazing. Lightening fast, removeable media, built in screen recorder and forward facing speakers. Automated upload of all flight data... The list goes on. However on bright days I prefer the apple because the screen is bigger and brighter.. Right tool for the job for me both are outstanding...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think any tablet will auto upload flight logs.. at least mine does.

I'll have to look into the K1 tho - sounds interesting and I assume cheaper than the iPads?

I don't absolutely love either one as well. But being that I'm new to the P3, and I needed a tablet, I went with the K1. My iPad 4 can't handle DJI GO or probably Litchi, and the K1 seems to be the biggest bang for the buck. I have pretty much all Apple devices because they've worked for me. And in this instance, Android works for me. Like you said "the right tool for the job...".

What does the Nvidia have over the 12.9 pro........ besides
cost
It has an HDMI out and runs on Android OS -- which might come in handy if you want to run a 3rd party app that only runs on Android. The biggest con is the screen is not as easy to see in direct sun light.

It has an HDMI out and runs on Android OS -- which might come in handy if you want to run a 3rd party app that only runs on Android. The biggest con is the screen is not as easy to see in direct sun light.

Was looking into getting Litchi, and from what I've read it seems the Android version has more features, if I'm not mistaken. I ended up getting a K1 anyway, came in yesterday. Pretty nice, peppy, doesn't seem to be slow at all. And none of my Apple devices can run Litchi anyway...

Was looking into getting Litchi, and from what I've read it seems the Android version has more features, if I'm not mistaken.
That's correct.

For me it's because my current tablet, galaxy tab pro, is grainy and poor live feed video quality. I only want to use my note pro 12.2 to get a sharper live view. My testing showed that the advance and pro seem to produce the same sharpness image using one tablet over the other. I'm hoping the note pro can give me a sharper image on my advance.

...needless to say for me I'm more looking for a tablet that will pump out good live feed quality. I don't care much what tablet is doing it.

But to some, cost may be a factor. My note pro 12.2 was $850 out of the Verizon store.

What does the Nvidia have over the 12.9 pro........ besides
cost

But to some, cost may be a factor. My note pro 12.2 was $850 out of the Verizon store.

That's my factor... I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I know I'm only going to use with my P3P. But on the flip side I didn't want to cheap-out. I think the K1 is the best of both worlds...

That's my factor... I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I know I'm only going to use with my P3P. But on the flip side I didn't want to cheap-out. I think the K1 is the best of both worlds...

I agree.

I'm waiting for someone to screen shot a live feed view from the K1 before I'll buy into it.

I bought a Galaxy Tab Pro for $199 and great tablet but the video feed is pure crap. I'd hate to buy the K1 and have the same stupid issue!

That's my factor... I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I know I'm only going to use with my P3P.
The Google Nexus 7 [2013] is about $60 less and is also a great device. I own both the Shield and Nexus 7 and they both perform equally when running DJI GO as far as I can tell.

Reactions: MiamiDroneFlights
Apple IPad hands down.

Standard P3P bracket holds IPad, and has nice little flip out notches, for those moments when you only have your Phone. If your holding the controller with an IPad attached to it, then you also MUST have a neck strap. Even a relatively large hand will start to feel a little shaky, holding it with only one hand.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94