Best Range Extender for Phantom 3 STANDARD??

Reaction score
HI all,

I'm looking to upgrade the standard antenna and distance on the Phantom 3 Standard. I've looked into the ARGTek mod, but I have heard some talk about people not getting that much further. I live in residential Chicago, and my current furthest distance is about 1,900 feet. I need an extender or controller mod that would extend my range as FAR as possible. Practical Budget ($150-200 MAX) I dont want to dis-assemble the drone itself, just the controller and minimally intrusive (I dont want to have to solder stuff)

Thanks Everyone

Reactions: livefreeanddrone
Upgrade to another phantom model and you will get better distance, cheaper than trying to push your P3 standard. Maybe you can do a hack by doing a search. They don't allow discussion on hacking on this forum. Some on this forum may even ask, how far can you see, is how far you can fly. Those are some options. I hope they help you.
I wish you the best.

Upgrade to another phantom model and you will get better distance, cheaper than trying to push your P3 standard. Maybe you can do a hack by doing a search. They don't allow discussion on hacking on this forum. Some on this forum may even ask, how far can you see, is how far you can fly. Those are some options. I hope they help you.
I wish you the best.

DIscussion on controller mods is not allowed here? whaat?? why?

I can only comment on the Itelite DBS Mod I have on one of my P3S’s .

It increased my range and helped the WiFi video signal some, but not as much as I’d like. The video feed might drop out, but control is still strong with the Itelite DBS. It only requires a mod to the r/c, with no soldering required.

I fly in rural areas, so interference from other WiFi signals is minimal. Flying in the city or heavily populated areas will create more of a challenge due to numerous other signals.

Hope this helps. Good luck. [emoji106]

I've got a wind surfer on my antenna and I use magic power 5 (google it). I get 3500 feet in semi densely populated areas. However, I agree with one of the posters above... if range is important to you get another phantom. Even a p3 advanced with light bridge instead of wifi will do much better with range and fpv.

Numerous good antenna’s in the $100 range, 2.4ghz booster $40, 5.8ghz booster $60, and $25-$30 for a battery pack. It’s $30 more than your budget, but you want range then you won’t be disappointed. Rural areas 3 mile range or so. If there is no interference you will easily run out of battery before signal. Just be responsible and ignore all the haters that don’t like boosters.

Numerous good antenna’s in the $100 range, 2.4ghz booster $40, 5.8ghz booster $60, and $25-$30 for a battery pack. It’s $30 more than your budget, but you want range then you won’t be disappointed. Rural areas 3 mile range or so. If there is no interference you will easily run out of battery before signal. Just be responsible and ignore all the haters that don’t like boosters.
Which antenna do you recommend? And what kind of battery pack are you thinking of?

HI all,

I'm looking to upgrade the standard antenna and distance on the Phantom 3 Standard. I've looked into the ARGTek mod, but I have heard some talk about people not getting that much further. I live in residential Chicago, and my current furthest distance is about 1,900 feet. I need an extender or controller mod that would extend my range as FAR as possible. Practical Budget ($150-200 MAX) I dont want to dis-assemble the drone itself, just the controller and minimally intrusive (I dont want to have to solder stuff)

Thanks Everyone

Your mileage with the Argtek may vary depending on the lay of the land where you are. I saw a dramatic improvement in signal reach by going with the Arktek setup, which improved signal range from half a mile to well over a country mile, or 6,000 feet.

It is well worth the $60 gamble to go with Argtek. and there are lots of youtube videos describing how to make the conversion. The most challenging part of that conversion is the removal of the hot glue from the stock antenna connections inside the controller, and for this procedure, I HIGHLY recommend buying a medical-surgical blade, which is way sharper than any Exacto knife, and reduces that hot glue removal to a five-minute job at most.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.