Best P4 firmware, Rc, and go app!

Reaction score
I was wondering what people find is the best firmware , rc and go app combo for best range and image transmission?
With so many possible combos...I would love some guidance..I fly on android and iOS.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The only firmware you can use for either the transmitter or the Phantom 4 is the firmware that DJI puts out. Very proprietary.

Some are upgrading their combo by using alternate hardware solutions on RC side. I.e. GL300A instead GL300C and antennas mods. These works but are not official DJI combos and warranty can be lost.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes.. I think my question is being misunderstood.. What rc firmware version....drone firmware version and go app version are people having success with.. The latest rc firmware sucks .

No clue. I do note that there seems to be a lot of recurring angst among those who keep trying to do the firmware shuffle that you're describing. I understand the need/desire to tinker with our hobby toys, but DJI's approach to firmware is screwy enough that I have just taken the approach of auto-updating the DJI GO app, and updating the transmitter and drone firmware when they suggest. Personally, I just don't have problems anymore, and don't experience problems like the various posters that keep posting their problems that occur when start doing the back-and-forth, mix-and-match firmware shuffle.

I realize that doesn't answer your question and I apologize. Just my take as a reformed firmware tinkerer that's been burned many times on many different devices over the years.

Reactions: Cadbob
Thanks for the reply.. I guess what my issue with firmware is...is that something recently caused significant range decrease and I am trying to get back to before that happened. I am not sure if it was aircraft or rc firmware or both...and maybe the app as well ..

I am having good luck with, Go app 2.9.2 IOS, Controller 1.6, I will grab the firmware # from the bird when I get home.
I avoid DJI updates big time !!

You are being misunderstood. I do not consider holding off on a software/firmware update tinkering.
I have seen far more problem post from bad software upgrades than not upgrading.
How many times have there been hundreds if not more grounded from an awesome DJI upgrade.
Hacking is tinkering, downgrading or not updating is not, in my opinion..

Last edited:
You are being misunderstood. I do not consider holding off on a software/firmware update tinkering.
I have seen far more problem post from bad software upgrades than not upgrading.
How many times have there been hundreds if not more grounded from an awesome DJI upgrade.
Hacking is tinkering, downgrading or not updating is not, in my opinion..
We are all a little different in the way that we approach our hobbies. Over the years, as technology has become more complex, I have found that my life ends up being simpler if I don't try to outsmart the manufacturer.

Thus far, with DJI products at least, my experience with app and firmware upgrades doesn't bear any resemblance to the travails I see recounted on this forum. I don't discount those issues, I just don't experience them. We all gotta do what we gotta do, and I wish you guys the best....I'm just doing what I discovered, the hard way, works best for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbomania
Like MacCool, I use whatever DJI is putting out and haven't experienced the troubles that a lot are mentioning, the only thing that gave me a headache was calibration of the VPS but I still got it done just took several tries because of the several foreign voices over lapping haha, and I've used DJI go, Litchi, and DJI autopilot.

I guess what my issue with firmware is...is that something recently caused significant range decrease and I am trying to get back to before that happened. I am not sure if it was aircraft or rc firmware or both...and maybe the app as well ..
Sometimes when the Go app or RC firmware is updated, this can reset the settings in the GO app. Your original settings can sometimes go back to default, so beware of this possibility. If you haven't disabled auto-update in your device, you may get surprised.

Range performance is relative to each person's comfort zone. Some guys never go beyond VLOS, in which case most any settings are acceptable in GO to reach a half mile. They might say, I have no problem if they don't fly farther than half mile. But for others that expect a range of 2 miles or farther, the settings in GO can significantly affect range. Some swear by auto for channel selection, arguing that it's dynamic. I'm not in that group, I've had poor range (dropouts at starting at 3000') experiences using auto. I always select a custom channel that has the least traffic, minimizing interference from WiFi signals in the area. However, I also use the 32ch hack that lets me fly on channels 30, 31 and 32, which are usually always very quiet. The GO app shows you the activity on each channel, making it easy to select the least busy channel. FYI, without the 32ch hack, I find ch 22 is usually good to use in most areas.

Here's the key setting.....With a custom channel selected, you will then see the option to reduce the bit rate, or "Transmission Quality". The lower the bit rate the farther you can go, because the radio has less work to do, receiving less data. A slower bit rate inherently increases range with little affect to the image quality on the display device (I use iPads). The lowest setting is 4mbps, which is what I always fly with. So every time you update the Go app, you need to remember to check your settings and make sure they are set to your preference.

I rarely update my GO app or firmware in the RC or craft. There has to be a really good reason to risk changing something that's not broke. My versions are in my signature.

Last edited:
We are all a little different in the way that we approach our hobbies. Over the years, as technology has become more complex, I have found that my life ends up being simpler if I don't try to outsmart the manufacturer.

Thus far, with DJI products at least, my experience with app and firmware upgrades doesn't bear any resemblance to the travails I see recounted on this forum. I don't discount those issues, I just don't experience them. We all gotta do what we gotta do, and I wish you guys the best....I'm just doing what I discovered, the hard way, works best for me.

It's all good !! If it's working for you, why change.
Looking at the big picture, your method is probably the best advice for most.

I used to play that game with smart phones, side loading software to downgrade and what not. It did work out well for me but what a pain and basically a waste of a lot of time. Don't mess with them now.

I don't get that crazy with my Phantom but do hold off on updates until I see positive feedback on this forum. I just don't want to be without my bird because of a crappy software upgrade. It happens way too often.
Hope your good luck streak keeps going !!

With my current setup I do not have a need and desire for a firmware update.
My combo is the following:

Phantom 4 Firmware: 01.02.0503
R/C Firmware: 1.6.0
Viewing Device: iPhone 6PLUS - Sometimes I use iPhone 7PLUS w iOS 10
Viewing Device Software Version: iOS 9.3.2 (13F69)
DJI Go Version: 3.1.0

Reactions: The Springs
Yup that's my setup, I was doing upgrades as they came out until 3.2 I believe it was that caused many problems for everyone, luckily I was able to downgrade and I haven't changed a thing since, I'm lately getting 3+miles with no dropouts in video so I believe I'll stay here!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20