Best GPS Tracker - RF-V16

If you don't get an accurate position the reason could be that the GPS has still not fully downloaded almanach data. The problem is that the GPS is sent to sleep until a position gets requested, so it may never do a complete cold start with complete initialisation.
Especially if you will disable the automatic GPS update to the server via GPRS the GPS will only get powered when receiving a SMS position request message.
So, especially if the device has been moved to a new location (such as after buying) or was off for several days you should enable the automatic position update and set an update frequency of 1 per 1 or 2 minutes, at least for half an hour or until the position available at the website seems to accurate. Then you can set the update rate back to 1 per 10 minutes or maybe also disable it.

Regards, Gerd

Thanks for the info, I tried taking it out with the phantom yesterday with the data on but it still didn't get a GPS fix after ten mins. Will look at it at a later date now as I'm back to work.
A quick tip for anyone who hasn't managed to install the app and get the 'cannot open file' error. I tried installing from my file manager app and it installed fine. (Haven't actually tried it with the tracker yet though).

hi all, I am about to buy this tracker, but I wonder if the tracker can produce some interferences on phantom flight, while is changing cell. As it is a gsm phone, it works of course on the 900mhz, so on paper there are no problems, but, as everybody can notice, when our phone is near a loudspeaker every now and then we can hear some noise. this noise is like an interference and imho it can make unstable the flight in that moment? Actually in my experiments I attached a nokia phone to the phantom and the beahaviour was erratic... it stop when I put the phone in "flight mode"... what do you think about that?

borgqueenx said:
You can use a pay to go simcard. (Prepaid)

Also on the tk102 you have to text "start" or something to it or it wont work. Thats not required on this rf-v16.
:) great info! I just got one (15 days to US) for $52.00. Looks like a nice insurance that will help locate a lost bird. Thanks for the review!

tknquad said:
hi all, I am about to buy this tracker, but I wonder if the tracker can produce some interferences on phantom flight, while is changing cell. As it is a gsm phone, it works of course on the 900mhz, so on paper there are no problems, but, as everybody can notice, when our phone is near a loudspeaker every now and then we can hear some noise. this noise is like an interference and imho it can make unstable the flight in that moment? Actually in my experiments I attached a nokia phone to the phantom and the beahaviour was erratic... it stop when I put the phone in "flight mode"... what do you think about that?
Interesting your phone made quad act odd. I have used this tracker on my quad several times and have had no problem with it in any way. I really like the small size.

My unit will be arriving within a few days. I'm just curious about where you guys attached it, and how. Especially on a p2v+..

Welcome AndyA.
I used Velcro and put mine on the bottom back by the battery cap. But looks like I will need a new location because the new RotorPixel gimbal may be in part of that location. Will be thinking of a new place.

I've got mine Velcro'd onto the top of one of the skids.(one without any wire in it). Then I cut the ribbon off the small clasp thing you get with it and securely tie wrapped that underneath and attached the tracker to that in case the Velcro failed during flight.

Hey Folks,

Probably asking someone to repeat themselves, so I apologize ahead of time.

Any suggestions for those of us who fly where there is poor to no cell service?

It's just a matter of time before my bird flies over the hill and I have to go looking in 2 foot tall grass amongst the tumbleweeds.

Thanks

Re: Sv: Best GPS Tracker - RF-V16

Happyflyer said:
Welcome AndyA.
I used Velcro and put mine on the bottom back by the battery cap. But looks like I will need a new location because the new RotorPixel gimbal may be in part of that location. Will be thinking of a new place.

Stealthdude said:
I've got mine Velcro'd onto the top of one of the skids.(one without any wire in it). Then I cut the ribbon off the small clasp thing you get with it and securely tie wrapped that underneath and attached the tracker to that in case the Velcro failed during flight.
Thanks, was considering puttning it both on the skids and somewhere on the shell but wasn't sure if the gps-reception would be good enough since it seems to be pretty sensitive, but if it works for you I guess I'll give it a try!

Re: Sv: Best GPS Tracker - RF-V16

AndyA said:
Thanks, was considering puttning it both on the skids and somewhere on the shell but wasn't sure if the gps-reception would be good enough since it seems to be pretty sensitive, but if it works for you I guess I'll give it a try!
That little bugger can surprise you on GPS satellite pick up. When in my house and on a charger the yellow and blue light will blink. When fully charged it will become "active." It is not uncommon to have satellite connection in the center of the house. Sometimes I have more problem getting the P2V to pick up satellites outside.

I finally got mine to work, at least with gps and gsm fix, it receives calls, but nothing happens when trying to send any of the sms commands, not even the register part, any ideas there?

gr8pics said:
I finally got mine to work, at least with gps and gsm fix, it receives calls, but nothing happens when trying to send any of the sms commands, not even the register part, any ideas there?
Might be obvious but you are sending in lower case letters aren't you? Wont work otherwise.

This is for anyone that has one of these little buggers and it has stopped working. Just wondering about opening it up if/when the battery goes bad. It may be well sealed and I would not want to try to open one that was working OK.

gr8pics said:
have you set the master phone number in correctly

I ordered mine. Will wait for the slow boat here in the USA.
I am not familiar with the pre-paid world at all. So I could use a little help with that.

I WAS going to get a H2O Wireless card online and get a plan for $10 every three months, but then saw an online comment that their card is for phones, not for GSM trackers.
So, reading this thread, one person went to ATT to get a micro-sim and then went to Walmart to get minutes. How much does that cost?
Another person went to T-Mobile and got their micro-sim activated for $10 and then paid $10 airtime. Texts are 10 cents.
FYI: My current iPhone provider is C-Spire which is primarily a CDMA provider. And I pay them a jillion dollars every month for a family plan.

Is the T-Mobile deal basically how it works? Add another $10 every three months? Is this the best deal that you found?

terrylowe said:
I ordered mine. Will wait for the slow boat here in the USA.

Is the T-Mobile deal basically how it works? Add another $10 every three months? Is this the best deal that you found?
I started with AT&T then found T-Mobile was cheaper. Yes, the $10 every three is the best I found.

Happyflyer said:
terrylowe said:
I started with AT&T then found T-Mobile was cheaper. Yes, the $10 every three is the best I found.

Thanks for the help!!!

Will this thing send the coordinates of the location or just the link to the map??

Got it figured out. When it's only got GSM lock in it sends a link to some weird map website. Once it has acquired gps it'll send a Google maps link. That's what I get for trying it indoors! Eventually got a signal even in the house.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers