Rf-v16 gps tracker setup?

Reaction score
I got a Rf-v16 tracker for my phantom and the manual is horribly translated. I have looked for youtube tutorials as well and have not had much luck. there are several reviews and demos, but not much in the way of setup. Rf-v16 I know a couple of you guys have this. Do you know of a tutorial out there that is easy to follow?

here are the main commands, i think i left most of the actual settings as default

Commands

check position dw#
check settings/status dsp#

answering functions
press any key to answer aj#
Auto-answer mt#
silent monitoring jy#

It has been awhile, but I found a YouTube video on setting up the RF-V16. To be honest, though, I decided to use this one for my Mom and I'll buy another for my Phantom. I did check for instructions on YouTube, but I've yet to do the set-up.

I searched for: "RF-V16 setup". I would give you the link if I could! Several software versions back, my iPad doesn't display all URLs. Say, if I'm on Amazon, it just shows amazon.com on each item page. Or, maybe it was when I got this IPad Air. It sucks.

However, I did a search on YouTube exactly as above. I found one video on the setup and some reviews. The setup is, unfortunately, one of those where the person is too afraid to speak. Turn the darn distracting music off and write down the instructions posted on the screen, or just pause it. :)

I believe a better tutorial could be made. I just searched Google, for you and I found what appears like a better one to use. It is a blog, so still no sound! Search exactly as above and you will find one hit with the words: "Sam's Blog" in the description.

Maybe between those two and the instructions you will have what you need. :)

Sorry about the hijack- but could someone explain why this tracker needs a data enabled sims.

I have the TK102 using a simple T Mobile PAYG- the devices just text each other.

I'm drawn to the smaller lighter aspect of this Rf-v16- but is data allowance a must?

discv said:
Sorry about the hijack- but could someone explain why this tracker needs a data enabled sims.

I have the TK102 using a simple T Mobile PAYG- the devices just text each other.

I'm drawn to the smaller lighter aspect of this Rf-v16- but is data allowance a must?

The RF-V16 besides giving GPS location, it functions as a cell phone. Call it and it rings. If no answer, you can hear surrounding audio. The ringing is nice when your near to it. A push of one button on the unit, dials the number programmed into it.

That isn't that useful for RC, but I saw the potential for kids, dogs, elderly parents, etc. in fact I will give it to my Mom. She pushes one button and it calls my cell phone and we can talk as if it was a cell phone. Actually, it is, with a GPS tracker built in.

It does require either a T-mobile or AT&T service. I bought a $10 pre-paid card. I believe after 3 months, you have to buy more time. It isn't the cheapest, but $40 a year is okay for me. If there is a $5 card, I could half that.

The good thing is after one year, you get to keep all unused time and you don't have to buy another card, unless you run out. That will lower the cost. For RC use, I assume if it is off, you aren't being charged against your time.

There are better trackers as per maintenance charges. Until that first year is up, then this might be cheaper. :)

PhantomFanatic said:
discv said:

The RF-V16 besides giving GPS location, it functions as a cell phone. Call it and it rings. If no answer, you can hear surrounding audio. The ringing is nice when your near to it. A push of one button on the unit, dials the number programmed into it.

That isn't that useful for RC, but I saw the potential for kids, dogs, elderly parents, etc. in fact I will give it to my Mom. She pushes one button and it calls my cell phone and we can talk as if it was a cell phone. Actually, it is, with a GPS tracker built in.

I don't know if any of that answers your question! :)

It does require either a T-mobile or AT&T service. I bought a $10 pre-paid card. I believe after 3 months, you have to buy more time. It isn't the cheapest, but $40 a year is okay for me. If there is a $5 card, I could half that.

The good thing is after one year, you get to keep all unused time and you don't have to buy another card, unless you run out. That will lower the cost. For RC use, I assume if it is off, you aren't being charged against your time.

There are better trackers as per maintenance charges. Until that first year is up, then this might be cheaper. :)

Thanks PF. But I'm still missing the point. Why does it need data allowance?

'Data allowance' -to me- means internet access :oops:

discv said:
Thanks PF. But I'm still missing the point. Why does it need data allowance?

'Data allowance' -to me- means internet access :oops:
it doesn't, you only need an active card with text's so it can reply to you with the coordinates

Now I'm really confused! This is an example of what I am reading_ quote

You do not need data on (gon#) for the RF-V16 to function correctly, having data on means the position is periodically uploaded and stored online. If you simply want to query the device for its location on demand, turn data off (goff#) and just send a text (dw#) whenever you want. The “data” mentioned here is not to be confused with having a data plan with your SIM card, that is definitely required.

I have T-Mobile with mine. $3.00 a month. My T-Mobile account has no data plan, none. It works just by sending it a message with code(s) listed above. I get location on phone from Google Maps. I also get 30 talk minutes each month. In winter not flying I pull the sim card out of tracker and stick it in an unlocked GoPhone so I can use up the 30 talk minutes each month. No good reason the let them go away at the end of a month.

discv said:

I am now looking at the TK102. The RF is just too much of a pain. I cant even log in on my phone or create an account. Anyhow what will a tracker do that Find My Phantom cant? Unless someone gets to it and moves it before I get there it seems like FMP should be all you need.

Well if your battery pops out which mine has on several crashes unless I am mistaking it won't do you any good or if you are to far away and don't have Wi-Fi to your bird it won't work .
If you are thinking of that tracker here are the instructions on it that are easier to read than the ones that come with one .viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34531

dirkclod said:
Well if your battery pops out which mine has on several crashes unless I am mistaking it won't do you any good or if you are to far away and don't have Wi-Fi to your bird it won't work .
If you are thinking of that tracker here are the instructions on it that are easier to read than the ones that come with one .viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34531
I thought it would tell you the last known location of your phantom when the power went off? I had my phantom off in my house and hit FMF and it showed a blip where I was and a red pin a couple hundred feet away where I had turned off my phantom.

Ok then it must work that way . Not sure if I would trust just that for finding my bird though .Did it show the map to it ?

Just tried mine and it did show the map but I also have cell service now . What if you are somewhere and you don't ?
You couldn't call the tracker then ether but you could go to where you did and call it and take a screenshot then find it .

dirkclod said:
Just tried mine and it did show the map but I also have cell service now . What if you are somewhere and you don't ?
You couldn't call the tracker then ether but you could go to where you did and call it and take a screenshot then find it .
Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/personal-tracker- ... ords=tk102

This one has 5 stars but its not labeled tk102. There are some tk102s there, but they have 3 stars. Are they one in the same? If not can you provide a link to the one that works based on the instrucitons you posted?

That looks just like the one I got and got mine off e-bay from an US seller but he is not got anymore as I looked the other day .

Edit / The box's are the same but mine didn't come with a card .

dirkclod said:
That looks just like the one I got and got mine off e-bay from an US seller but he is not got anymore as I looked the other day .

Edit / The box's are the same but mine didn't come with a card .
I just ordered it. Hopefully it will be easier than the RF. Im sending it back.

It does say what it is [ This item: GPS GSM GPRS personal tracker GPS102B with built-in memory,waterproof,magnet $26.90]
Just remember to not use the magnet cover it comes with !! I threw mine away so I wouldn't mess up :lol:
Doesn't say TK but it's the same thing and if ya have any problems holler at me .

dirkclod said:
It does say what it is [ This item: GPS GSM GPRS personal tracker GPS102B with built-in memory,waterproof,magnet $26.90]
Just remember to not use the magnet cover it comes with !! I threw mine away so I wouldn't mess up :lol:
Doesn't say TK but it's the same thing and if ya have any problems holler at me .
lol yea thatll play hell on the compass. Im glad you mentioned it. I probably wouldnt have even thought about it/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31