Best GPS Locator for 2015

Reaction score
Would like something small to place inside or attach outside of my Phantom 2. Would prefer if I have to use a service to possibly use Verizon although I could use any provider or pre-paid card if the GPS locator is the right one. Of course the more affordable the better.

Thanks for any guidance

look up the RF-V16 I set one up for someone recently, works well. there are a lot of "gotchas" during setup but you can find threads here and elsewhere to lead you through it

Most GPS trackers can be divided into two categories:

1) Need it simply to locate a lost bird
2) Need real-time GPS tracking of a bird

Most of the current GPS trackers on the market like RF-V16 and TK-102B fall into Category 1. They operate as "call-and-respond" trackers, giving you GPS coordinates once you call the tracking unit, or perhaps have it text you those coordinates every minute.

Very few trackers fall into Category 2. One of them is the Flytrex Live 3G. It will give you continuous, real-time GPS location on a Google Maps satellite view as a red dot. Anywhere your bird goes, you see the red dot moving dynamically on a map. Obviously, this is rightfully considered overkill for somebody merely trying to locate a lost bird. However, for long distance flying beyond LOS, then it becomes a very important tool that can save your *** many times in knowing your orientation and getting your bird back home.

I'm definitely category 1. Just want a cheap insurance policy to located my P2 and GoPro if the worst happens and to find it if lost. Been reading about the RF-V16 but it sounds very complicated to setup or so it seems.

1. Buy the RF-V16
2. Go the Verizon ( or pre paid Mimi SIM card) for a mini-sim card with data (semi confusing)
3. Place sim Card in a phone to setup required options ( really confusing)
4. Place Sim Card in tracker
5. Attach to P2
6 Call number if P2 goes MIA... Get email/text location
7. Once close, can call RF-V16 and get audible ring

Sound about right????

ASO544 said:
I'm definitely category 1. Just want a cheap insurance policy to located my P2 and GoPro if the worst happens and the Bly use it to find if list. Been reading about the RF-V16 but it sounds very complicated to setup or so it seems.

1. Buy the RF-V16
2. Go the Verizon ( or pre paid Mimi SIM card) for a mini-sim card with data (semi confusing)
5. Attach to P2

Sound about right????

I don't own the RF-V16 or have any experience with it so I couldnt help you much in that regard.

However, if you can call it and hear an audible alarm when you're within 100 feet of then that is a very useful feature. I've actually lobbied to have this audible alarm feature added to the next generation of the Flytrex Live and one of their engineers says it's on the drawing board.

Audible alarm feature can really come in useful if your bird crashed into tall weeds or thick underbrush. I had that happen to me back in October --- my Vision+ lost 6 sats and went into Auto-Land about half a mile from me. I logged into Flytrex and found the GPS coordinates, but when I arrived at the general location I discovered it was in a large field of thistle 5 feet high! I walked past it within 15 feet a few times and never saw it. Finally found it after about half hour of searching but it was aggravating to pass so close to it several times and not see it. An audible alarm would've made it very easy to locate! ;)

I'm building my own that would be category 2.
Since I'll be the one programming it, any input or recommendations are welcome.
So far, I have a prototype that weighs about 15g + 12g 350mag lipo. Size is approx. 0.7"x1.5". I'm working out a couple circuitry details, but should have a working proto soon.

QYV said:
look up the RF-V16 I set one up for someone recently, works well. there are a lot of "gotchas" during setup but you can find threads here and elsewhere to lead you through it
Do you mind posting the links..I have a rf-v16 and I can't get it to work..I have a atnt go phone sim and I'm pretty sure it's working correctly and I have installed the sim in the tracker correctly. .I text 123456,sos1,15590000000# and no reply..any suggestions would be appreciated. .tdp..

I use and am partial to Drone-Mods tracker. Weighs 50 g, has its own battery that last 14 days of continuous use, attaches easily with an extra adhesive velchro. It (about $120), and the telephone service ($5/month), plus tax and shipping will cost you about $200. See http://www.drone-mods.com.
You will find URLs for other threads on this forum that will tell you about several other trackers and tracking options.

QYV said:
I have looked everywhere and cannot find one that is completely clear. I was gonna send it back but will try again if anyone knows a good link to tutorial. I have tried Youtube with no results. I cannot even set up an account. It wont let me.

ccase39 said:
QYV said:
I have looked everywhere and cannot find one that is completely clear. I was gonna send it back but will try again if anyone knows a good link to tutorial. I have tried Youtube with no results. I cannot even set up an account. It wont let me.
Hey there...I found a good blog on the rf-v16 tracker. .it's on rcgoups.com under Sam's blog..wish I could send you a link..pm me and give me ur e mail and I can send it to you if you can't find it..tdp..

ASO544 said:
I'm definitely category 1. Just want a cheap insurance policy to located my P2 and GoPro if the worst happens and to find it if lost. Been reading about the RF-V16 but it sounds very complicated to setup or so it seems.

1. Buy the RF-V16
5. Attach to P2

Sound about right????
I bought one and apparantly it doesnt work with Vorizon. It is pretty tricky to set up, I have not succeeded yet. There is very little out there as far as tutorials . I also bought the TK but it is not here yet.Tmobile sim for it. I will try and get it to work with the RF first and if it doesnt work just send the RF back. I bought a pre loaded I am still kind of confused as to why we even need one considering the Find My Phantom feature. It seems to do everything that is required to example 1 in the above posters explanation. I have tried it and it is pretty accurate.

ccase39 said:
ASO544 said:

1. Buy the RF-V16
5. Attach to P2

Sound about right????
I bought one and apparantly it doesnt work with Vorizon. It is pretty tricky to set up, I have not succeeded yet. There is very little out there as far as tutorials . I also bought the TK but it is not here yet.Tmobile sim for it. I will try and get it to work with the RF first and if it doesnt work just send the RF back. I bought a pre loaded I am still kind of confused as to why we even need one considering the Find My Phantom feature. It seems to do everything that is required to example 1 in the above posters explanation. I have tried it and it is pretty accurate.
Find my Phantom did not work last week for me . You can see on map where it showed me but you see where I found it . My tracker had busted when it went through tree and threw battery out so it didn't text back so all I had was that feature . It might work in testing it out and all is well but when you lose your app and don't get it back soon enough ..no good .

ADDED / Here's the screenshot I took from that adventure and you can see when my App crashed that was the last place it showed it . I got that after it was already down and I opened the App and tried that feature . If your App stays open when you go down it might show it dead on .

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0565.PNG
    IMG_0565.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 471
ccase39 said:
ASO544 said:

1. Buy the RF-V16
5. Attach to P2

Sound about right????
Yes it works good as long as you don't have a power failure. .my last crash both the battery on my phantom and my tracker failed..luckily I had a locator 8.. there greeeaaattt ..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl