Be careful of helicopters even when below 400 feet

Thanks for posting the 14 CFR 91.119 rule, it's often misinterpreted, but helicopters can legally fly lower than fixed wing aircraft. However, I believe that the current education campaign in the rotorcraft community is that drones are now part of the airspace, and encourages rotorcraft pilots and operators to fly above 400 feet when possible, so both industries can safely coexist.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I heard they aren't suppose to be under 500 feet looks like he was sightseeing next he will complain drone in his air space someone needs to regulate some of these idiots than mess with us so much

You heard incorrectly. Helicopters are not limited to the 500' minimum. Familiarize yourself with Part 91.119 of the FARs. Drone operators would do well to read and understand the FARs.

Sec. 91.119

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
[ (d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface--
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.]

Heli's are not required to follow the LSALTS in the same manner as engine-driven aircraft.

This thread is just going in circles.

Reactions: BigAl07
This thread is just going in circles.
when-you-feel-like-youre-going.jpg

[file]Chopper|none[/file]

I was at 390 feet. Who wins in court after the mid air collision? Aren't they supposed to stay above 400? Almost looks like he was below me. o_O
CAA regs are not to fly within 500 feet of person vessel or structure except when taking off or landing !!!

Hey Storrow Drive,
I am in Wilmington Ma and I saw that helo one morning, right off exit 39 on Rte 93 as I was having coffee inside a dunking donuts.
I was absolutely BULL $#!# when I saw him heading toward boston along Rte 93. He was going REALLY fast and REALLY low.
I wish there was a number to call and complain about him.
As low and fast as he was, you wouldn't have much warning, and those Hughes birds are NOT loud.
Kevin

Yes, I agree that you should descend ASAP whenever a manned aircraft is in close proximity. Human lives are more important than losing your $1300 plastic toy.

However if it did crash --- you would NOT be liable in any way. FAA clearly states UAV's may fly up to 400' AGL as long as they are not in restricted airspace. There is not a single court in the United States that could convict you of anything except being a responsible drone pilot. ;)
Think you are being naive of our court system.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'll never understand why manned aircraft have to fly under 500' unless landing or taking off. Anyone enlighten me on this?

Don't forget, helicopters can land anywhere. And they may be needing to land especially if they are a emergency aircraft or if they have some other emergency themselves. I don't understand what all this hubbub is about helicopters being in "our" airspace. I'm sure no helicopter pilot is going to just be cruising around under 400 feet for the fun of it.

Reactions: Choppa
yeah they due sightseeing

[file]Chopper|none[/file]

I was at 390 feet. Who wins in court after the mid air collision? Aren't they supposed to stay above 400? Almost looks like he was below me. o_O
I had that same problem this week. Helicopters flying just above the tree tops. I called our small local airport , gave them my flight number, told them where live and that I fly my drone in accordance with rules of the FAA and that they should too. He said " he will look into it" and thanked me for calling. So we will see.

Last edited:
I had that same problem this week. Helicopters flying just above the tree tops. I called our small local airport , gave them my flight number, told them where live and that I fly my drone in accordance with rules of the FFA and that they should too. He said " he will look into it" and thanked me for calling. So we will see.
I hope you actually said "FAA" and not "FFA?"

True, but the helicopter didn't jump out from behind a tree. I can hear them coming from miles away. If you are in a place that frequents aircraft...be aware.
I hear them coming too but most time it's difficult to tell from which direction

Oh I'm relaxed bro...
I had just made a comment on another thread about the number of people here who confuse the FFA (Future Farmers of America) with the FAA. And then your post.
So you have nothing better to do then to look at the typing mistakes people make? Maybe you should just go read a book and leave people alone.

We all just have to be careful with our P3's or any other aircraft. Let's just keep it real even though there are different laws. No of us seem to want to hurt anybody with our hobby and toys

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4