Be careful of helicopters even when below 400 feet

You are asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is:
  • How did I allow it to happen that I was at the same altitude and in close proximity to a manned aircraft?
  • Why did I not have awareness for the approaching helicopter?
  • Why did I not immediately descend as fast possible to avoid a potentially dangerous situation?
  • Do I understand that it is my responsibility to stay clear of manned aircraft irregardless of where they are flying or what they are doing?

Those are the right questions to ask yourself and the right actions to take when a human life is involved. If I'm out flying and see a helicopter come close to where I'm flying, I land, take photos, then call the local FAA office with as much info as i have.

Last edited:
Those are the right questions to ask yourself and the right actions to take when a human life is involved. Immediately after I call the FAA to complain. If I'm out flying i see a helicopter come close to where I'm flying, I land, take photos, then call the local FAA office with as much info as i have.
Haha That's a great idea. We should start reporting some of these close calls with manned aircraft. Why should they always have the spotlight. A story in the USA today would be a bonus.

FAR's Part 91 Documents:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

a. Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

b. Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

c. Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

d. Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph B or C of this section if the operation is conductedwithout hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

a. Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

b. Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

2. Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.

All well and good of you can see or hear them coming. We have an idiot neighbor flies single engine over our house every other sat or so at 150ft. With trees all around and that altitude, there is NO SOUND until 1 sec before he is over us. And no, FAA won't do anything without picture proof with tail number: impossible with 1 sec notice. I have been at 250ft with p2 when it happens, and again cannot even turn to try to get video before he is gone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This one buzzed me yesterday right after i landed. I heard him coming about 15 seconds before he came over the trees.
image.jpeg

The only thing I've ever seen around that low is CareFlite. They come through randomly, but never had it happen with my bird in the air.

Yes, I agree that you should descend ASAP whenever a manned aircraft is in close proximity. Human lives are more important than losing your $1300 plastic toy.

However if it did crash --- you would NOT be liable in any way. FAA clearly states UAV's may fly up to 400' AGL as long as they are not in restricted airspace. There is not a single court in the United States that could convict you of anything except being a responsible drone pilot. ;)

TOTALLY WRONG.

And...besides the FAR below (which says a helicopter is LEGAL to fly below 400 feet), the helicopter could have been preparing to land in, say, a field, or at a home, or on a road (like if he was Lifeguard)...which are all totally legal. Plus, BOTH "pilots" are responsible to "see and avoid".

READ THIS:

Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph(b)or(c)of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator

Reactions: Myetkt
There's no point arguing with anonymous, narcissistic, iLawyers.

Helis and small aircraft often break the 500' rule when cresting mountains to save time and fuel. This has generally been an acceptable practice because they are under 500' only a few seconds. So be careful when cruising mountain ridges. Keep an ear tuned.

John,

There is no such thing as it being OK to break a Federal Aviation Regulation "for a few seconds". You are either legal, or you are not. If the spot on the mountain is "sparsely populated", then they ARE legal, but, if it has a house right there (or other objects described below), then they are NOT. Plus, it EASY to climb a couple hundred feet, or whatever, to maintain legality. If it isn't, that aircraft is being flown irresponsibly, as it should never be in a position where it can barely clear a mountain.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

For anyone reading this who doesn't fully understand the "Right of Way" on the air... any and all MANNED aircraft 100000% have the right of way all the time every time. No exceptions. Even if the manned aircraft is doing something outside of the regulations it is the full responsibility of the Drone Operator to do whatever is necessary to give right of way to the manned aircraft even if this means intentionally crashing (or performing CSC) your aircraft.

BigAl07,

I totally agree with the sentiment here, but can you say where you actually read this?

--

Bill

I'll never understand why manned aircraft have to fly under 500' unless landing or taking off. Anyone enlighten me on this?
Here in Seattle, International airports aside, we have several inner-city air-harbors. This obviously isn't your typical runway-type landing or take off scenario. They fly over urban density at very low altitudes, even major infrastructure such as federal interstates and state-route bridges. Obviously, their routine is to try to stay over water as long as they can, but those waters aren't people free either and they can't always be over 500' feet when they do cross over land.

And we have a lot of 'copters too. They typically stay above 500', but a good rule of thumb in this city is to just keep your ears open.

Here in Switzerland, we have lots of helicopters flying around. Sometimes you can't hear them until they're right above you due to trees, hills, mountains, large buildings and other obstacles. I couldn't fly anymore if I had to land every time I hear a helicopter. Sometimes landing the drone is the worst thing you can do since the helicopter is much faster than the drone and it might cross the line of sight. I always stay below 100 meters (300 feet) but transport and rescue helicopters sometimes are even lower. I know a few drone pilots who don't respect the maximum allowed height. They are just plain stupid. Even flying below it can be fatal.

Markus

If a person is jaywalking That's ecomes a very different conversation.
How is it different? You should always be aware of whats in front of you. Thats why windshields are clear....so you can see where you are going and be aware of your surroundings. Thats your responsibility as the operator. It has always worked for me.

Reactions: richwoodrocket
Might have been a drug interdiction surveillance bird, could have been a pipeline/electrical line inspection aircraft, might have been an air ambulance, and the list goes on. A drone strike would probably not bring it down. I see our local air ambulance helicopters flying at 750 - 1,000 all the time back and forth. My area is also used for pilot instruction as well as aerobatic training. You just have to keep you eyes open and listen, as well. They have "right-of-way", if for no other reason than there are people aboard AND they are a lot bigger. They'd destroy your drone and never know they hit it .............

I actually just had a conversation with my mother in law (certified flight instructor) on this very thing. She also confirmed they are allowed below 400'. One other thing she mentioned to me is that where I live is a designated "practice" area by the FAA, for things like stall practice and engine failure practice. So she warned me they can go below the 400' mark and to be just be aware and let the airports in area know of your activities.

When I was skiing at Sunday River a few months ago, there was a Red Bull event and a helicopter was filming it - he was def under 400' and I would guess he was around 200'. At times on the lift, I was above him. To paint the full picture, he was flying over hopped-up 4X4's racing on snow with crowds of spectators as well as skiers on the slopes and on the lifts. I questioned in my mind whether it was a good situation or not.

Here in Seattle, International airports aside, we have several inner-city air-harbors. This obviously isn't your typical runway-type landing or take off scenario. They fly over urban density at very low altitudes, even major infrastructure such as federal interstates and state-route bridges. Obviously, their routine is to try to stay over water as long as they can, but those waters aren't people free either and they can't always be over 500' feet when they do cross over land.

And we have a lot of 'copters too. They typically stay above 500', but a good rule of thumb in this city is to just keep your ears open.
It actually thrills me to be driving north on I-5 when a plane is taking off from Boeing Field and have it fly directly towards and then over me at what seems like a very low altitude.

Always wondered, what is "Jaywalking"?? Crossing the street in the wrong way somehow? Just curious, and too lazy too google it. :)

jay·walk
ˈjāˌwôk/
verb
NORTH AMERICAN
gerund or present participle: jaywalking
  1. cross or walk in the street or road unlawfully or without regard for approaching traffic.
  2. crossing the street outside of a marked cross walk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.