BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

Hmmm... Could there be hope in 3.08? Is it just updating to 3.08 or is it also updating each (DJI official) battery to the new battery firmware as well? I am still considering buying a handful of Limefuel batteries.

ianwood said:
Hmmm... Could there be hope in 3.08? Is it just updating to 3.08 or is it also updating each (DJI official) battery to the new battery firmware as well? I am still considering buying a handful of Limefuel batteries.
It would be just updating your battery firmware, not to 3.08. There has only been one report that i can see where a person with 2 faulty batteries landing at 50% or 6 min and after they updated the batteries the flight time doubled and and autoland pretty much kicked in at like 20% of so. It would not hurt to try it.

Today I read about the new 3.08 update so I jumped in and updated. Seems everything updated except my batteries. Good thing since one of my batts is a LimeFuel and gratefully it didn't update along with my other batts.

So no, he didn't update the batteries, but did the rest of the update.
This also means, if proven true, that the error was not in the battery firmware, but in the Phantom, ie. probably ESCs drawing too much current. Just a guess.

Fyod said:
Today I read about the new 3.08 update so I jumped in and updated. Seems everything updated except my batteries. Good thing since one of my batts is a LimeFuel and gratefully it didn't update along with my other batts.

So no, he didn't update the batteries, but did the rest of the update.
This also means, if proven true, that the error was not in the battery firmware, but in the Phantom, ie. probably ESCs drawing too much current. Just a guess.
I stand corrected. You are right Fyod. Sorry about that. Still would not hurt to try.

I haven't been following this thread recently so forgive me if anything I;m about to write is incorrect.

Early this summer I experienced a premature autoland and noticed like some people that there was a significant imbalance in the cell voltages. I fully discharged my batteries and recharged and although there was still an imbalance for the next few flights I didn't have a problem. At this point however, due to life getting in the way of flying my phantom I ended up with fully charged batteries and no time to discharge them...so I sealed them in a ziploc bag and left them in the fridge! (I read somewhere that this helps?)

3 months later with no noticeable puffing I fully discharged them, recharged them and flew 3 flights on 3 batteries each one in the region of 18mins (same flight times when new). To get to the point, I've just I connected up to the Naza assistant and noticed that all my battery cells are virtually, if not totally identical!!!

I've no idea if all this has helped but I can at least confirm that if you have to store your batteries fully charged, it doesn't hurt to put them in the fridge (sealed in a bag).

Hello Everyone,

We have launched preorders for our new 6000mAh L60P battery for use with the DJI Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, and Phantom 2 Vision+. Our battery is fully compatible with all DJI firmware as of November 6, 2014. We are working on forward firmware compatibility solutions to take advantage of any future DJI battery features. The Air L60P is slated for early January 2015 shipping.

Here’s a $10 coupon code, AIR6000 for the first 100 people that order with us. Refer 10 friends, get your battery for free. ($10 credit towards battery per referral after confirmed purchase)

You can purchase your L60P here- http://www.limefuel.com/pages/product-air

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Thank you,
Rafael

RafaelLimed said:
Hello Everyone,

We have launched preorders for our new 6000mAh L60P battery for use with the DJI Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, and Phantom 2 Vision+. Our battery is fully compatible with all DJI firmware as of November 6, 2014. We are working on forward firmware compatibility solutions to take advantage of any future DJI battery features. The Air L60P is slated for early January 2015 shipping.

Here’s a $10 coupon code, AIR6000 for the first 100 people that order with us. Refer 10 friends, get your battery for free. ($10 credit towards battery per referral after confirmed purchase)

You can purchase your L60P here- http://www.limefuel.com/pages/product-air

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Thank you,
Rafael

Are you expecting your new battery to have auto land issues out of the box? If not, I presume this thread is not a place to put your ads... But oh well...

[quote="un hombreAre you expecting your new battery to have auto land issues out of the box? If not, I presume this thread is not a place to put your ads... But oh well...[/quote]

hahaha.... I was thinking the same thing reading that pitch! :lol:

shartlza said:
Fyod said:
A member in the 3.08 update mentioned today that after the upgrade, his early land batteries are doing better now - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28493&p=261480#p261381
If you have Limefuel batteries be careful not to update the battery firmware (usually 2.0.0 to 2.6).
Otherwise if anyone out there with a couple of the seemingly dead batteries could confirm, it would be great.
Update your batteries and report back!!!!

I had this experience after updating to 3.08 and updating my batteries to v2.6 (from v2.0). Three of my batteries that were autolanding early stopped that behavior.

It seems that it is the firmware on the mainboard that changed. If I remember, it would autoland off the voltage below 10.7 or so. Now, when the voltage drops to 10.6 the warning LEDs on the P2 blink but if the voltage goes back up to 10.7 they go back off and you can continue to fly with no issues. My batteries were autolanding at 70-50%. Now they all go all the way below 10%. I am only getting about 10 minutes of flight on these and I noticed that acceleration is sluggish (so maybe there is something else that decreases power to the ESC when the voltage gets lower).

The end result is that I get a full flight and I have 3 safe batteries for emergencies or for playing around.

4wd said:
I suspect we are already seeing a dramatic drop in these reported sudden onset auto-land changes.?
Does this suggest a lot of them were caused by that firmware about July after all?

No, it just means the firmware voltage threshold has been lowered. It means you're allowed to get closer to exhausting the battery before auto-land kicks in. You may get a few more minutes out of a bad battery just be prepared for percentages to drop very fast.

Something that was shared on facebook that included a video. Supposedly to check your battery for a bad cell do this:
On your battery press the power button once and hold until the red light flashes on the power button. Look to see if any of the green bars are flashing. If they are you have a potential bad cell.
If you want to disregard this as hogwash you are welcome to do so. I just pass info along to other pilots.
I checked my batteries but they are good and almost new. I never had any battery problems so far.

knuckles said:
Something that was shared on facebook that included a video. Supposedly to check your battery for a bad cell do this:
On your battery press the power button once and hold until the red light flashes on the power button. Look to see if any of the green bars are flashing. If they are you have a potential bad cell.
If you want to disregard this as hogwash you are welcome to do so. I just pass info along to other pilots.
I checked my batteries but they are good and almost new. I never had any battery problems so far.
Unless the new firmware changed this function what that actually does is it shows you the life of your battery. If all are solid your battery life is between 100%-76%, 1 blinking between 75%-51% life, so each light is 25%. Who knows if this still stands true with the new firmware.

knuckles said:
It wasn't the normal quick press on the power button. I was talking about 1 press holding until the red power button is blinking red.
Yes, I know. If you push and hold for 5 seconds the red light turns off and the green ones will light up. After 75 discharges you will get one blinking light and after 150 one light will be out and a second will be blinking.

So just found this thread.

A day too late unfortunately. Since the latest firmware upgrade , Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.6 , I've encountered the early landing experience on all 3 batteries and in some weird way put it down to operator error.

So checked and I recalibrated all the settings and had no problems on the next flight. ( just one battery - all ok )

So I felt reassured that all was ok. However yesterday flying off some cliffs, the first flight worked fine but the second flight ended in disaster, an early descent, a loss of control, what I can only describe as a power surge from the distance I was away from the drone, as it was about to touch down it surged upwards into the air and crashed down causing irreparable damage to the Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal, and wrecking the iOSD mini by pulling the connector.

Fortunately I was by this time above someones garden and watched and heard the final crash from some distance. The shell of the Phantom 2 is cracked on both the top and bottom halves.

As I have recently put a deposit down on the Inspire 1 it just doesn't seem worth fixing this sorry mess. I doubt I'll get enough back from selling second hand to warrant fixing everything - If I can get the unit flying again I'll probably gove it to one of my children although without a camera gimbal and FPV its not so much fun.

I'm sorry not to include more technical information this post and will try and provide that tomorrow.

They always say to check on forums before installing updates so I feel very much to blame for this incident and also my confidence in DJI has been severely dented.

Just thought I'd add to the mix. All my batteries initiate auto-land at exactly 40%. To be honest I usually always come home around 45% so never really noticed it before. I have 3 DJI batteries, 21, 17, 5 discharges.

Cyclops said:
So just found this thread.

A day too late unfortunately. Since the latest firmware upgrade , Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.6 , I've encountered the early landing experience on all 3 batteries and in some weird way put it down to operator error.

So checked and I recalibrated all the settings and had no problems on the next flight. ( just one battery - all ok )

So I felt reassured that all was ok. However yesterday flying off some cliffs, the first flight worked fine but the second flight ended in disaster, an early descent, a loss of control, what I can only describe as a power surge from the distance I was away from the drone, as it was about to touch down it surged upwards into the air and crashed down causing irreparable damage to the Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal, and wrecking the iOSD mini by pulling the connector.

Fortunately I was by this time above someones garden and watched and heard the final crash from some distance. The shell of the Phantom 2 is cracked on both the top and bottom halves.

As I have recently put a deposit down on the Inspire 1 it just doesn't seem worth fixing this sorry mess. I doubt I'll get enough back from selling second hand to warrant fixing everything - If I can get the unit flying again I'll probably gove it to one of my children although without a camera gimbal and FPV its not so much fun.

I'm sorry not to include more technical information this post and will try and provide that tomorrow.

They always say to check on forums before installing updates so I feel very much to blame for this incident and also my confidence in DJI has been severely dented.
I have recently returned to DJI after so many stupid issues ... After this... I'll no longer trust ANY "smart" battery using multirotor.

As a matter of fact... i' sticking to much simpler flight controls and go back to building.

Jaybee said:
Just thought I'd add to the mix. All my batteries initiate auto-land at exactly 40%. To be honest I usually always come home around 45% so never really noticed it before. I have 3 DJI batteries, 21, 17, 5 discharges.

I fully discharged two of my batteries last night. Tested one today and it didn't auto land until 17%.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor