BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

Positive outcome for me.

In just 2 days I recieved this reply from my dealer. No questions asked.

"I have received confirmation from DJI that they have authorised to replace the faulty battery.
Can you please ship the battery to us at your earliest convenience. Once received, we will be able to send you a replacement."

All I said in my email was I reqested a replacement for a faulty battery that was giving me low battery warnings at 68% and going straight into Autoland.

Fingers crossed for the replacement battery and the extra one I ordered.

Best of luck to those who are still waiting.

Glad to hear you guys are getting taken care of. I've seen the happen to a few people, and have always suggested calling the dealer or DJI about it. Whatever the cause (bad cell? voltage sag?), they at least are authorizing replacements so it seems like a no-brainer.

I know it is a pain in the a** to get a hold of DJI, but if you are having this issue i would defiantly try to call DJI (I am sure they know it is an issue). Maybe contact your dealer first to see if they will do anything, but i did that (B&H) and they said since it was outside their 30 return policy they could not do anything and told me to do a warranty through DJI. The battery i sent back to DJI should arrive at the LA office today or tomorrow and we will see how long it takes to get a new one. Also i have attached the most updated list of people that are having this issue. I really want to keep this thread going because I am sure others will start to having this issue and I would not be at all surprised if this starts to happen again with one of my new batteries.

Attachments

• Battery issue.jpg
    Battery issue.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 385
If you get a chance to talk or email with them it would be very useful to find out the exact cause of the problem, whether it's an internal battery problem or the data pin contacts.
When photographed close up it looks like there may be some arcing going on and the pins are nowhere near the middle of the contacts. It's something everyone should be keeping a close eye on imo.

WessexWyvern said:
If you get a chance to talk or email with them it would be very useful to find out the exact cause of the problem, whether it's an internal battery problem or the data pin contacts.
When photographed close up it looks like there may be some arcing going on and the pins are nowhere near the middle of the contacts. It's something everyone should be keeping a close eye on imo.
The guy i talked to at DJI was really quick to say it was probably a bad cell. It was an older battery with the smaller contact pads though, so that could have something to do with it.

Here is a picture comparing the two (found in the P2V+ section)

Attachments

• Old vs. New.jpg
    Old vs. New.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 404
WessexWyvern said:
So they knew there was a problem and have modified their latest batteries to try and rectify it ?
Well we will never know if the running change was due to a problem with the older ones, but I am sure there was a reason behind it.

To all having this issue is the battery/batteries having this issue the old or new version (see pic above)?

Losing contact with the spring-loaded data pins was an earlier and known problem with the smart batteries (affecting the first few batches of the original P2V and P2s). The battery terminal pad change, pin spring rate change, and MC firmware update to prevent auto-land in flight when data connection is lost, were all made after this (most likely directly to address this).

This is a separate issue; some people are experiencing auto-land prematurely in the pack; the likely cause is bad cell and/or voltage sag causing a momentary dip past the level 3 voltage threshold, triggering auto-land. Whatever the cause, DJI has been replacing batteries under warranty when this happens, so if you experience it in any of your packs, it's a good idea to contact your dealer for an exchange.

So far it has only happened the once to me and the battery has continue to work as normal since. I don't know whether this is a fairly common thing to happen as cells go bad and that I can expect to see this degrade in the future.

Had you not said that the MC controller has been updated to prevent auto land I would have put it down to a bad connection somewhere. The marking on the contact below seems a bit excessive for only around 15 flights on this particular battery, I'm not too impressed with the poor alignment of the pins and contacts either.

Attachments

• DSC_3719.jpg
    DSC_3719.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 387
Were does DIJ get the nerve calling these smart batteys??

Well I got a phantom 2 vision that the prior owner crashed due to DJIs soft ware mistakenly thinking the real dji battery was a non dji battery and then caused it to crash. now I have it and have gotten a NEW genuine dji battery that is also a total piece of crap and not only does it some times not show up as a dji battery but it also likes to some times turn its self not only off but also turn its self on all by its self. BUT whats real crappy is the info shown in the phantom assistant it will show its got 99% charge but only have about 3800mah in it out of the 5200 its supposed to have. Its also supposed to have its own cell balancing in the battery's so called smart circuits but the total charge volts never goes above about 12.1 -12.2 before it wont take any more charge and the # 2 cell is always about 3.6 -3.7 volts and also the discharging time never changes from the number 4 even tho its now about 7 or 8 thats its had. It also only takes about 5 minutes of not even flying and just letting it idol before its drained down to the critical 2nd alarm stage. and at $159 thats a big load of bull crap. my FC40 don't have any thing like that with its battery's and even with my worse 2200mah battery I can still get about 8 minutes of good worry free flying time out of them. and none of the bull crap to worry about like these phantom 2 vision stupid battery's have. I don't even dare trying to fly the vision at all with one of these stupid batterys that now is on the 2nd dud battery in a row.

Re: Were does DIJ get the nerve calling these smart batteys?

J.James said:
Well I got a phantom 2 vision that the prior owner crashed due to DJIs soft ware mistakenly thinking the real dji battery was a non dji battery and then caused it to crash. now I have it and have gotten a NEW genuine dji battery that is also a total piece of crap and not only does it some times not show up as a dji battery but it also likes to some times turn its self not only off but also turn its self on all by its self. BUT whats real crappy is the info shown in the phantom assistant it will show its got 99% charge but only have about 3800mah in it out of the 5200 its supposed to have. Its also supposed to have its own cell balancing in the battery's so called smart circuits but the total charge volts never goes above about 12.1 -12.2 before it wont take any more charge and the # 2 cell is always about 3.6 -3.7 volts and also the discharging time never changes from the number 4 even tho its now about 7 or 8 thats its had. It also only takes about 5 minutes of not even flying and just letting it idol before its drained down to the critical 2nd alarm stage. and at $159 thats a big load of bull crap. my FC40 don't have any thing like that with its battery's and even with my worse 2200mah battery I can still get about 8 minutes of good worry free flying time out of them. and none of the bull crap to worry about like these phantom 2 vision stupid battery's have. I don't even dare trying to fly the vision at all with one of these stupid batterys that now is on the 2nd dud battery in a row.

I would say that battery is toast! I wouldn't even fly with that battery!!! I would call the dealer you got it from or call DJI. That should be replaced no questions asked after seeing those stats on the assistant.

Yea that pack is whacked.

Take note of the cell imbalance.
The center cell is nearly 500mV below the other two!

There is so much wrong here (there).

I would say that battery is toast! I wouldn't even fly with that battery!!! I would call the dealer you got it from or call DJI. That should be replaced no questions asked after seeing those stats on the assistant.

ya I dont dare fly it even just because when the phantom is just idling or holding on to it even when its not losing contact threw the 2 contacts that communicate with the phantom its lasting about 5 minuets before its down to almost nothing. So I cant piture it even getting off the ground very far before it would be time for it to start auto landing. and thats even if its not breaking contact with the pins. and even when the motors are running it is enough to make the contacts break contact and it starts getting mad at me thinking its not a dji battery.

Tho I may be out of luck getting DJI to replace it being I didn't get it from an offical dji dealer and the seller only had one. Tho they said I could have a refund on it. But when I went to mail it back today ironically now the post office even asked if a package contains any lithium battery's. and had all kinds of criteria that it don't meet to be able to ship it. Such as it havering to either be shipped with the devise its intended to go in. like a laptop for instance and cant be sent separately unless its in the original Sealed manufactures packaging and cant be opened. Then the real kicker is it also cant be any thing that can in any way accidentally turn on. and this likes to turn its self on and off randomly. Then when I said that is one of reasons I'm trying to send it back and that its also damaged Is when I got a big NO WAY can I ship it response from the guy at the counter.

lol lol wow I just had the seller suggest I just put the battery in the box and print out a label from home and just ship the battery any way and just not say it contains a lithium battery.

Ya cause like the feds wont mind if it blows up or catches on fire in transit and an air plane crashes or a post office burns down.

J.James said:
lol lol wow I just had the seller suggest I just put the battery in the box and print out a label from home and just ship the battery any way and just not say it contains a lithium battery.

Ya cause like the feds wont mind if it blows up or catches on fire in transit and an air plane crashes or a post office burns down.
Ship it via UPS or FedEx. Just box it up and you should not have a problem. The chance that it would cause any problem would be very low. I just packed up my battery and sent it to DJI via FedEx on Tuesday and it was just received their today. It only had a short trip to get to LA from where I am, but i am sure there would not be any issue if it was coming from anywhere else. I mean if you couldn't ship just the battery then how would most people get new batteries?? :roll:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the informative posts. I'm new to DJI Phantoms and bought extra battery two weeks ago from Amazon "Prime" from their warehouse. After viewing posts and opening battery box, I found out they were trying to unload the old version with small round connecting posts onto me. Returned for refund! Bought from new friends at Aerial Media Pros.

I mean if you couldn't ship just the battery then how would most people get new batteries?? :roll:

New battery's can be shipped as long as it meets certain conditions. like one is if its in the original manufacturers box and still sealed and un opened. Which any new battery being shipped to a customer would be. and they also cant send any if there are more then 3 in any package even if the other criteria is met and one thing I noticed also explains why the biggest 3s battery's all seem to be just under 60watt hours is that none can be shipped by mail if over 20 Wh per cell or 100wh per battery and some restrictions on total weight of lithium in each cell or battery.

and any that can be shipped still require them to have a label on the outside of the package saying it contains hazardous materials. so it don't go on a plan that is also a passenger plane which mail some times ends up going on if its not listed as a hazard.

I'm sure chances are it would still make it there ok but being its damaged and already swelling its one of them things that if Murphy law wants to catch up to me it would be my luck that mine would be the one that becomes the next fire on board a plane there's been 78 shipping accidents in the last year due to them.

But if any one wants to see the regs on shipping lithos just to know what the deal is with properly shipping them I found this http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_044.htm

LiLPhantom said:
My Dealer said "Sorry, we can't verify thats from us" They plugged it in and ran it on 3.04 and I'm at 1.8 and then had to redo it all again. They said oh its fine, well then why wont it keep my bird in the air but these other 3 batteries will! So whats the address to DJI? I would like to send them my 2 batteries that early land @ 75% and only 20 or less cycles, 1 of which was 10 days old from my hobby shop...
You need to call DJI and get a RMA# to return to them. You also have to fill out a RMA form and provide proof of purchase.

Just got a email from my dealer in Bangkok to say that DJI are sending him two replacement batteries for me ..

So can't complain with my dealers service ... which for anyone's information is Hobbythai and contact is Kally.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik