Battery drain issue

Reaction score
  • I have checked and re-checked everything in the Phantom 2 assistant, and everything looks good. This is what happens: I will take off, and suddenly, the voltage will drop,(watching the iosd mini display) not the percent of charge, causing the rear lights to flash red, forcing a landing. I have tried everything, (I've been doing this hobby for five years) and never encountered this degree of frustration trying to figure this out. Any suggestions will be welcome. (Aftermarket batteries don't work either, the voltage immediately drops.) I have two Phantoms and both have the same issue.

Hello Tom....
I am going to go out on a limb and say your batteries are shot.
I see you have a Phantom 2 and that is probably 4 yrs old or older and probably original batteries.
You did not state how old the batteries are.
I have a P2 ver3 + with 4 batteries.
2 are dead...won't charge
the other 2 show 4 greens after charging, but when I start it up and go to lift off, I get the red light and low battery as well.
No replacements that I l know of and those that are selling as new, probably have sitting on the self for years.
I hope others reply with their opinions.

Thanks for the reply. Two of the batteries show 95% life, all three cells even voltage, and show only 15 times charged. I guess my next move, as much as I don't want, is to do a battery hack.

The % does not show how much power is really stored. If the batt. is at the end of its life, the voltage drops very quickly to the level when an autoland kicks in.
You can very precisely check your batteries at Airdata page.

Thanks for the reply. I tried some aftermarket batteries, from power-extra, and upstart battery and they did the same thing; after take-off, they dropped in voltage as well. I sent them back.

My advice is that you buy an original DJI batt and maitain it by the book. It should work fine.
All those crapped batt should be discard.

My advice is that you buy an original DJI batt and maitain it by the book. It should work fine.
All those crapped batt should be discard.

Thanks for the reply.

It's very unlikely that there are any original DJI batteries for the Phantom 2 anywhere on this plant. Most battery problems such as short life are due to poor battery maintenance by storing a fully charged battery for long periods of time.

Which aftermarket batteries are using? If at all. I tired Power-extra and Up-Start and they did the same thing, 5 - 10 seconds and the red flashing lights started. I have two original DJI batteries that work but on their last legs.

Which aftermarket batteries are using? If at all. I tired Power-extra and Up-Start and they did the same thing, 5 - 10 seconds and the red flashing lights started. I have two original DJI batteries that work but on their last legs.

Round late 2016 DJI cut production of batteries for the P2s and aftermarket batteries were the only thing available. That is no longer true in today's market place and you take your chances when purchasing batteries for P2s because you don't know how long the seller had those batteries in his stock. I quite flying in 2018 and sold all my equipment last year so I haven't keep up with the aftermarket batteries.

The % does not show how much power is really stored. If the batt. is at the end of its life, the voltage drops very quickly to the level when an autoland kicks in.
You can very precisely check your batteries at Airdata page.

Airdata doesn’t support the older P2 units as they don’t produce a log file

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj