Basic fly safe database update - Pop Up

Reaction score
Saturday at 8:31 AM
I have a P3P and I haven't update the software since I purchased it, base on my previous experience and comments I've read in this forum.

I haven't flown in maybe 6 months.

Today I went to fly and when i turned on my controller the red light immediately came on (vs green) and the DJI app had a pop up which said "basic fly safe database update found please update as soon as possible"

Has DJI finally caught up with me and I need to download this new database......OR.....is there something I should do!!!

Reactions: dronesky
@xlr8lb your original topic can be found here:

thanks for the responses

i always ignore it, but after i do the red light on the controller stays on and i cant connect to the drone.

Why is everyone telling him to ignore it? Some of the database information is part of the geofence that keeps us pilots safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: brigerdrones
Regular pilots and their passengers, not UAS Pilots. Not to mention if you hit a bird or something you don't see and it falls on someone's car. Remote ID mandate is on the way.

Kyle

Regular pilots and their passengers, not UAS Pilots. Not to mention if you hit a bird or something you don't see and it falls on someone's car. Remote ID mandate is on the way.

Kyle
How can geofence protect my drone to hit a bird?!

Reactions: DoomMeister
It's not, it'll help keep pilots out of the airspace that they are not supposed to be in. It was another example of the dangers if pilots are flying over people are moving vehicles and hit something they don't see. It falls on to a expressway, group of people etc.

Reactions: brigerdrones
It's not, it'll help keep pilots out of the airspace that they are not supposed to be in. It was another example of the dangers if pilots are flying over people are moving vehicles and hit something they don't see. It falls on to a expressway, group of people etc.
A geofence will not stop that, it can be bypassed. Even if you get LAANC clearance for an area you have to bypass DJI’s geofence in the software. The geofence only adds a layer of annoyance for law abiding pilots and does nothing to stop those that wish to break it. It only gives DJI an out should a lawsuit result from an incident.

Thanks, I know that, I post just for fun as you mentioned birds.

I'm new to this hobby, but seems the confusion is people focused on impacts to Drone pilots and safety, and not the large-plane pilots and travelers. There is a real security risk to others, and we're just telling him to ignore it? Am I missing something? Does that update cause other harm? Or is this just about getting away with something we shouldn't do?

I'm new to this hobby, but seems the confusion is people focused on impacts to Drone pilots and safety, and not the large-plane pilots and travelers. There is a real security risk to others, and we're just telling him to ignore it? Am I missing something? Does that update cause other harm? Or is this just about getting away with something we shouldn't do?
The update can cause harm, it is not even needed. It has flaws. Extra useless step. It is DJI's liable thing to keep them out of trouble. All this was stated in the above posts. It is your responsibility to check to see where you are flying and if it is safe. If you wanted to circumvent the system and fly where you are not supposed to fly, it is easily done. The only thing you are getting away with is a stupid, useless, annoying, troublesome step. It doesn't keep you from doing anything. All this is redundant from what is already said, I hope you understand what we are trying to convey here?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Certainly I get it. As long as you are responsible and do what you should do, the update is not needed.
For all but the most diligent, I think suggesting one avoid a vendor update out of concern they broke something critical might be hyperbole.
But hey, if you don't want to update, don't.
Sounds like a preference thing.

Certainly I get it. As long as you are responsible and do what you should do, the update is not needed.
For all but the most diligent, I think suggesting one avoid a vendor update out of concern they broke something critical might be hyperbole.
Your statement:" As long as you are responsible and do what you should do, the update is not needed." has no bearing. It doesn't make any difference whether you are responsible or not. If I had the update and it wanted me not to fly, I still can. it is nothing but an annoyance. Responsibly, is not the issue with not updating it. We try to help flyers have a better experience flying their drone. With what you now know, feel free to do the updates if that makes you feel better. That is the bottom line.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Use the search feature on this forum about updates mark down the negative and positive responses and you will see a pattern develop in the end it is up to you to make the right decision to fly safely per FAA rules

A geofence will not stop that, it can be bypassed. Even if you get LAANC clearance for an area you have to bypass DJI’s geofence in the software. The geofence only adds a layer of annoyance for law abiding pilots and does nothing to stop those that wish to break it. It only gives DJI an out should a lawsuit result from an incident.
I am not going to update my software, as a friend of mine just updated, and now can't fly she has to get a 3 day pass, how can you bypass the geofencing??

Len

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan