Barrel roll video - luckiest 'bounce' ever!!

On the "bounce" I did switch back to GPS mode immediately, that was where it kinda 'stuck sideways' for a bit. On my subsequent rolls I did not switch back, but rather stabilized it in manual mode before switching to another setting.

Type "do a barrel roll" into the google search engine and watch what happens

So if you're high enough and you start the flip then immediately switch back to GPS mode it should recover itself, right?

Spotted another one here. http://youtu.be/RI2IXMaAfuQ
Common denominator seems that the roll sucks up the altitude. Without gps compensating for alt, you begin to lose lift as soon as you depart from hover and that might get a little push down even more at the point of full invert. Seems to pull it off u need plenty of alt and a quick, deft control hand to counter the downward inertia quickly but smoothly. Wonder if one of the rc sims would mimic this properly? I wouldn't mind practicing first ;)

<<DISCLAIMER: Not recommended to try unless you are good at manual mode>>

Yes, altitude is important and trying to remember to drop the throttle speed while inverted (darn physics). I would not recommend switching back to GPS mode until you have the PV upright and back 'under control'. I just think there is too much at risk to try and let its little brain try and recover it. I suppose it would work fine, but what fun is that if you don't recover it yourself first :)

Butcher99 said:
Common denominator seems that the roll sucks up the altitude. Without gps compensating for alt, you begin to lose lift as soon as you depart from hover and that might get a little push down even more at the point of full invert. Seems to pull it off u need plenty of alt and a quick, deft control hand to counter the downward inertia quickly but smoothly. Wonder if one of the rc sims would mimic this properly? I wouldn't mind practicing first ;)

I wish I had my flytrex and dash ware when I did this video

Butcher99 said:
Wonder if one of the rc sims would mimic this properly? I wouldn't mind practicing first ;)

I have simulated it in Heli-x but in my opinion the Phantom model in the sim is way too responsive and you can flip very easily indeed. The sim is a valid tool for learning the stick movements for this routine but I don't think it simulates the dropping brick effect well enough. In manual mode its still a pig to fly though :) Excellent practice.

Ok - that is just COOL!!! Now i want to try it again to get my rotation MUCH faster.... They definitely did not lose much altitude, so that shows me that it is not necessarily the nature of the beast, but more of the nature of the beast at the controls! :)

pileosnafu said:
Butcher99 said:

I wish I had my flytrex and dash ware when I did this video

That would have displayed some rather intriguing metrics... :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the reasons you loose height when doing a barrel roll are this. You're in Manual Mode. The Phantom isn't using it's Barometric pressure sensor to maintain height with the sticks centered, you have to always maintain proper throttle for level height. When you begin your barrel roll as your flip upside down now suddenly that upward position you have the throttle position in is going to drive you straight into the ground. Doing a proper roll maneuver requires a lot of skill and practice in easing the throttle back towards neutral position and down as you flip over followed by moving the throttle back up as you regain a more level attitude. That's the basic idea at least.

If you've only been flipping your Phantom without adjusting your throttle down then back up accordingly. That would explain why some of you have been loosing as much altitude as you have. Practice will allow you to find the appropriate speed and stick positions for the throttle as you flip. Also you may need to further tweak the "gains" of the Phantom's Manual mode increasing stick responsiveness so you can flip faster.

szobell said:
Ok - that is just COOL!!! Now i want to try it again to get my rotation MUCH faster.... They definitely did not lose much altitude, so that shows me that it is not necessarily the nature of the beast, but more of the nature of the beast at the controls! :)

I'm curious if you could reverse thrust in manual mode. I feel they must have done that here

pileosnafu said:
I'm curious if you could reverse thrust in manual mode. I feel they must have done that here

With the stock parts, you cannot reverse the direction of your motors while in flight. In general, I think it's kind of a hard problem. I believe RC cars can do it, but I don't know of any multicopters that do this. What you really want is collective pitch at each rotor. Go look for youtube videos of R/C collective pitch helicopters doing acrobatics. It's amazing.

krb said:
With the stock parts, you cannot reverse the direction of your motors while in flight. In general, I think it's kind of a hard problem. I believe RC cars can do it, but I don't know of any multicopters that do this. What you really want is collective pitch at each rotor. Go look for youtube videos of R/C collective pitch helicopters doing acrobatics. It's amazing.

Thanks for the insight!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl