Tough little buggers

Reaction score
Back in November 2017 I, for some reason, decided to try to get some pictures of a snowstorm. I launched from my house and flew back several hundred feet into the forest composed of 150 foot conifers. It was snowing pretty hard with limited visibility but I figured at several hundred feet with a windsurfer I could keep in contact with the bird.

Sometimes things don't happen that way and I lost the video then the telemetry. Not to worry, I had set RTH at 250 feet and, in fact, return to home was a straight shot without hills or trees (the slope goes steeply uphill from my house). After a few minutes I began to worry and after 30 minutes I got pretty annoyed. It was my oldest P3P, two years old and hundreds of flight hours.

The dog and I headed into the woods and looked until nightfall but I didn't have much hope - typically the drones end up high in the trees, nestled in the branches and impervious to anything but crows. (Ask me how I know.) Didn't have the Marco Polo on it because I was just fooling around at home.

Come spring I looked around again, no go.

About a month ago I get a call asking me if I had lost a drone. The finder was a teenager out deer hunting on a ridge 2 miles from the house. It was in an area that I fly in on a regular basis but the landing point was not one that I had used to take off (in the middle of some dense trees). I do check the home point each time I fly. I'm pretty sure I checked it the day of the fly off (but ....).d

The P3 was on the ground next to some trees. He apparently found it in a snow bank.

The rotors were beat up, consistent with attempting to cusinart a large tree. There were rust stains and dirt all over the body. I removed the battery and put it in a nice dry room and left it alone - too busy with other things to mess with it. I recently pulled it out and looked it over. The clockwise rotors were frozen solid, the CCW spun freely. The gimbal was rusted but seemed to move. I pulled the top off - actually pretty clean with just some bits of rust on some screws. Replaced the motors and fired it up. Started up just fine.

Updated the firmware and took off. Surprisingly, everything works. Even the camera / gimbal which I presumed to be toast. I pulled the camera apart because there where bits of rust sticking out and it looks pretty ragged - but it still works.

I'll probably replace the camera although I've a mind to just run it as is to see how long it lasts. But I'm impressed. Four months in an Alaska winter with minimal damage. Unfortunately, the .dat files don't seem to exist for that flight (????) so I can't say what happened. I am guessing it lost radio contact, decided that the home point was somewhere else and took off towards it until it crashed into a tree. I'm still puzzled as to where it thought it was going - although I do fly off the ridge it was heading towards, none of my landing zones would have been in a straight line.

IMG_3798.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 347
Spray some WD40 on those rusted things.
Once a metal bearing track or any thing made of metal is rusted....that metal bearing or item from use will only get worse ! Pitts are still their !

Im actually surprised you were unable to free up the motors and make them work. I heard that the bearings are sealed, so it would just be a case of cleaning up the magnets.

READ Again as follows he wrote : Replaced the motors and fired it up. Started up just fine.

Back in November 2017 I, for some reason, decided to try to get some pictures of a snowstorm. I launched from my house and flew back several hundred feet into the forest composed of 150 foot conifers. It was snowing pretty hard with limited visibility but I figured at several hundred feet with a windsurfer I could keep in contact with the bird.

Sometimes things don't happen that way and I lost the video then the telemetry. Not to worry, I had set RTH at 250 feet and, in fact, return to home was a straight shot without hills or trees (the slope goes steeply uphill from my house). After a few minutes I began to worry and after 30 minutes I got pretty annoyed. It was my oldest P3P, two years old and hundreds of flight hours.

The dog and I headed into the woods and looked until nightfall but I didn't have much hope - typically the drones end up high in the trees, nestled in the branches and impervious to anything but crows. (Ask me how I know.) Didn't have the Marco Polo on it because I was just fooling around at home.

About a month ago I get a call asking me if I had lost a drone. The finder was a teenager out deer hunting on a ridge 2 miles from the house. It was in an area that I fly in on a regular basis but the landing point was not one that I had used to take off (in the middle of some dense trees). I do check the home point each time I fly. I'm pretty sure I checked it the day of the fly off (but ....).d

The P3 was on the ground next to some trees. He apparently found it in a snow bank.

The rotors were beat up, consistent with attempting to cusinart a large tree. There were rust stains and dirt all over the body. I removed the battery and put it in a nice dry room and left it alone - too busy with other things to mess with it. I recently pulled it out and looked it over. The clockwise rotors were frozen solid, the CCW spun freely. The gimbal was rusted but seemed to move. I pulled the top off - actually pretty clean with just some bits of rust on some screws. Replaced the motors and fired it up. Started up just fine.

Updated the firmware and took off. Surprisingly, everything works. Even the camera / gimbal which I presumed to be toast. I pulled the camera apart because there where bits of rust sticking out and it looks pretty ragged - but it still works.

I'll probably replace the camera although I've a mind to just run it as is to see how long it lasts. But I'm impressed. Four months in an Alaska winter with minimal damage. Unfortunately, the .dat files don't seem to exist for that flight (????) so I can't say what happened. I am guessing it lost radio contact, decided that the home point was somewhere else and took off towards it until it crashed into a tree. I'm still puzzled as to where it thought it was going - although I do fly off the ridge it was heading towards, none of my landing zones would have been in a straight line.

View attachment 97679
In the picture of the gimbal ...Now i see that tiny fan....that i heard about !

My point was: why did he replace the motors when he probably did not need to..
Flight Insurance......them tiny ball bearing No doubt got water in them and the races were trashed.....He did Right to Insure No motor failure in a flight what a good move to replace all the very Important motors to take that drone to the sky's above and bring it back Home !

Plus...the edges where the seals are to the bearings edge.. No doubt were rusted too..

Last edited:

View attachment 97679
Thanks for sharing that great story. :)

My point was: why did he replace the motors when he probably did not need to..
Replaced the CW motors, the CCW motors were fine. Interesting it was one type of motor rather than either but actually there is a 50:50 chance of that.

There isn't ANY rust on the other two motors (which is odd). But remember, you can run these things in SALT WATER. I have a OpenROV diving drone which is powered by three slightly modified cheap ($10 @) UAV / RC plane motors. The only modifications are potting the wires slightly. At the end of the dive, I hose the motors off in fresh water and spray them with WD40, then a silicone spray.

Just imagine the faces on most Phantom pilots if you turned your UAV over and ran the motors in the ocean. There are a number of videos about Phantoms buzzing around pools and even fully waterproofed versions where most of the work is to keep the battery from shorting. Scary but true.

The really impressive thing is that the gimbal works. There is a little judder that wasn't there before which may indeed be due to rusting but jeez - the thing is completely exposed.

The horror....

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl