Barrel roll video - luckiest 'bounce' ever!!

Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to try and do a barrel roll in manual mode today. I figured that being up around 65 feet would give me enough space to recover. Yeah - i took the luckiest 'bounce' ever off of one of the small exposed grass patches in the middle of the snow and was fortunate to not hit anything else in this park. I am impressed with how tough this little machine is as i was certain there was going to be some damage, and it is just fine. I am not sure if I need more altitude next time or if there even will be a next time... :shock:

Here is the video: http://youtu.be/b4nmRd-uzRw

Manual mode - I can only say to try manual mode at your own risk as it is extremely tough to fly in that mode. I have done single rotor helicopters over the years with no GPS, so it was taking it back to the old-school like my mechanical gyro I had.

Not relaxing at all - not sure if I'll try it again for quite some time. I am feeling like i walked away without a scratch from what should have been a catastrophe. :D

I don't know what category but you definitely get some kind of bonus points for that one!! :shock:

BOOOOOINNNNGGGG!!!! I guess those little pads on the bottom of the P2V landing gear do more than just lift it up a bit :lol:

szobell said:
Ok, so I decided to try and do a barrel roll in manual mode today. I figured that being up around 65 feet would give me enough space to recover.
Here is the video: http://youtu.be/b4nmRd-uzRw

I read your first sentence, did a quick look at how many posts you had and my heart sank. Yes I am embarrassed to have to confess that I imagined that you were a beginner getting over confident. Then I had to eat those thoughts with humble pie as you explained how you were trying to recapture the old days minus gyro support etc. If you flew successfully back then then clearly you have more than enough experience to try a roll in manual mode on a phantom. So reminder to self ........ the number of posts a person has in a forum is not indication of their level of experience !!!! :oops:

I would have said you were high enough looking at your video. The roll rate of the phantom seems to be quite slow. Maybe the stick input was not big enough but then again how can you judge that on your first try.

You were lucky. I reckon your full power input was very quick and by the time it hit the deck it had also just begun its accent.

Glad you suffered no damage to the quad. Probably we can't say the same for your underpants :lol:

szobell said:
Manual mode - I can only say to try manual mode at your own risk as it is extremely tough to fly in that mode. I have done single rotor helicopters over the years with no GPS, so it was taking it back to the old-school like my mechanical gyro I had.

Not relaxing at all - not sure if I'll try it again for quite some time. I am feeling like i walked away without a scratch from what should have been a catastrophe. :D

I still have my mechanical gyros. One for a Hirobo Shuttle and one I used for my first Raptor. Then came the digital gyros and it got a bit more relaxing.

Almost looks like you may have been able to pull it off at that height. You made that extra little end of the roll correction a bit too late.

I'll stick to doing rolls with my Nano. :D

I got into helis when they first came out with the digital gyros. There were some guys at the field that use to fly without ANY gyro. In either case, they were hard as hell to fly.

Chuck

Ok, it was gnawing at me, so i had to "get back on the horse". I made sure i had plenty of space this time, went up about 215 feet and rotated faster and completely. Success! It dropped down to around 175 (by the time i looked at my telemetry).

I did it several more times just for fun. Especially while going forward at a pretty good clip.

http://youtu.be/wuzxfmZO0R4

Without a doubt, I will not fly my P2V on manual. It is much safer (and easier imo) to fly an RC helicopter with a collective pitch. At least if you are doing aileron rolls you can go negative pitch and not lose that much altitude.

Since the P2V is fixed pitch, did you reduce throttle a tiny bit when you went side ways ? It seems like once you went upside down you started shooting towards the earth.

Either way, I would have to agree that was a very lucky bounce :D

Well done, glad to see you didn't let it beat you.

Its no F16 is it. Very slow rate of roll, no wonder it loses altitude so fast and of course you can't vary the pitch of the blades to help either. I too will avoid this mode at all costs (I think).

My brain told my fingers to reduce throttle, the question is if i really did in the panic of the moment being upside down. I actually wondered if on the bounce if i actually increased throttle as at my altitude (5000 feet) i need to give about 15% above middle throttle to maintain altitude.

I don't think I'll do it much more, just wanted to see if I could :)

szobell said:
My brain told my fingers to reduce throttle, the question is if i really did in the panic of the moment being upside down. I actually wondered if on the bounce if i actually increased throttle as at my altitude (5000 feet) i need to give about 15% above middle throttle to maintain altitude.

I don't think I'll do it much more, just wanted to see if I could :)

5,000 feet? That should have been high enough to avoid the bounce... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I live at an altitude 5010 feet above sea level. The phantom was ~200 feet above me.

Nice ones!!!! That image at night looks amazing!

My heart about stopped when i started watching your lucky bounce video as i saw how low you were starting!!! That was one great bounce!

(At the risk of massively jinxing me) - I am extremely impressed with the durability of my Phantom. I have done some pretty dumb stuff when i am trying to get some close up video's in the trees, bounced it, etc and it still works like a champ.

I feel for the people who have been having flyaway issues or other problems, but i have 0 anxiety ever using mine. Yes - I calibrate my compass way more than I probably should, but I never, ever start the props without less than 6 satellites locked.

szobell said:
Nice ones!!!! That image at night looks amazing!

My heart about stopped when i started watching your lucky bounce video as i saw how low you were starting!!! That was one great bounce!

(At the risk of massively jinxing me) - I am extremely impressed with the durability of my Phantom. I have done some pretty dumb stuff when i am trying to get some close up video's in the trees, bounced it, etc and it still works like a champ.

I feel for the people who have been having flyaway issues or other problems, but i have 0 anxiety ever using mine. Yes - I calibrate my compass way more than I probably should, but I never, ever start the props without less than 6 satellites locked.

Thanks!

I need to learn how to get Adobe Premier and Dashware to stop compressing my videos soo much, the night one looks much better in full HD. I have soooo much learning to do both with the Phantom and Video editing

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik