balancing props

Reaction score
how many of you balance your props, or even check them for balance?

Are they usually OK straight out of the factory?

About half of my props are always a bit off balance out of the box. So, I always balance them since it's an easy tweak to do.

Here's a good how-to:

I stick tiny strips of clear Scotch tape on the under side of my props to balance them.

+1 for the Dubro balancer mentioned above. However, I use some fine grit sand paper and sand the underside of the blades for blade balance, and the side of the hub for hub balance. I have had to balance all but 2 props from DJI to some extent or another.

While not grossly out of balance, my belief is that the smoother the props/motors spin, the less stress introduced into the arms and perhaps less cracking. I have never had any visible shaking or anything like that from any of my props.

+1 for the Dubro balancer mentioned above.
FWIW, the method above works with any prop balancer. I have the both the Du-Bro prop balancer and the SpeedyTM prop balancer. I prefer the SpeedyTM balancer since it's ready to use out of the box and contains the needed balancing rod. The Du-Bro prop balancer needs to be put together and it's not easy to assemble because it's not well made. It works just fine though after it's all put together.

I always balance new props and keep checking old ones after once a month or so.

It's not that P3 can't fly with stock props but why to give a room to additional vibrations introduced due to unbalanced props. Vibrations will affect screws loosening, connection joint loosening and open the dry solder points if any. When p3 flies, there are vibrations and can't be avoided but why to add more vibrations for no good reason.

Reactions: Reed L
Agreed.. Balancing props is a very easy thing to do, If not done then even small imbalances over time will have big effects.. Not worth it. About 80% of brand new DJI props I check are off balance by a small, but correctable amount.

out of the 8 P3 stock props I checked only 2 were out of balance a tiny bit and a small piece of clear tape on the leading edge corrected them.

With proper balancing, prop should stay in any position, not only horizontally. Many forget this point.

Reactions: nix240z

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20