BAD NEWS !!!

race3 said:
wildcatter said:
I was in naza mode, all I can say is when it lost or invalid battery it lost gps location and it was drifting with the wind. I used the find my phantom and it gave me a location about 1000 feet from were I was. I went there but no vision. So I just walked in the direction the wind was blowing and about another 1000 feet I found the phantom. It was not pilot error, I tried home lock and then I lost connection. it should have come home om its own. But like I said I think it lost it location when the battery failed. the video shows it drifting and every minute or so it would go in a circle and just keep drifting with the wind. I had 10 satellites and good compass calibration before take off. SO to all you **** heads that think It was my fault , YOU CAN KISS MY ***.................

Did you try turning off the transmitter to engage "return to home"?

I'm also wondering if most people's fly aways are occurring in NAZA mode vs. Vision mode...
Th last thing I did was turn off the transmitter.

Several people have mentioned the P2V battery suddenly, when around 50% full,
showing as zero, and the P2V continuing to fly off, with no control.

Since it is still flying, the 0-battery indication would appear to be false,
but the event apparently puts the P2V into some unexpected fly-away state.

Perhaps the latest firmware will have removed this unwelcome feature.

semaj said:
Has anyone thought of attaching this:

http://blutracker.com

Seems like if you do lose your bird, you can go to the last known location using find my phantom and then start searching using this device...

What do you all think?

I'm looking at that tracker or a basic locator beacon transmitter. The website where you can order the BT tracker is https://www.sticknfind.com/. They aren't shipping yet. The website indicates January when they will be available.

Please post if you find the locator beacon... I want the same... Wish the Bluetooth tracker was already shipping...

As much as I am concerned about these fly always, I'm still taking mine up... Just gotta double check that all is "working" prior to sending off... Hopefully the newly released firmware will settle all of this and we all can get back to what we really want to do...

Fly baby fly...

Hiya...
I don't have my PV yet... its coming next week. The flyway stories are getting me worried. Is there any indication how common this is?

The report of the telemetry information being lost at the time of the flyaway and this "the video shows it drifting and every minute or so it would go in a circle and just keep drifting with the wind" lead me to believe this is a firmware issue with the autopilot module (NAZM-m?)

The WiFi link comes from the camera, but the telemetry information will be fed to it from the autopilot, so if the autopilot goes out to lunch the WiFi link will still be there with the video until it goes out of range, but the telemetry info will be lost. The drifting and every minute or so circling would seem to indicate a watchdog timer in the autopilot expiring and resetting the module, thus the circling as per dead-stick for a bit, before the problem recurs and the autopilot locks up again until the watchdog timer expires.

This points to the firmware in the autopilot not having adequate error handling and perhaps not fully reinitializing with a WDT reset vs. a power on reset. The recurrance of the issue may point to a communication problem with one of the modules like GPS or compass. Either way it sounds more like firmware than hardware so once they identify the cause it should be an easy fix. My P2V is on the way from B&H so hopefilly DJI sorts this out soon.

To add to this, I hope anyone who has experienced a fly away is communicating all relevent details to DJI, particularly if you recover the craft and video of the incident. If you post video such as the noted one showing the cycle of possible watchdog timer resets that could provide valuable clues to the folks working on the firmware.

wp...
good observation and conjecture.
Cheers, Gary

I have a thought on what may have caused my flyaway. There is snow here where I am and when I put the phantom down on the ground snow may have shorted the compass out. Just a thought. Tom

Wildcatter, Glad to hear that you got your bird back.

I just got mine the other day. On the third flight, I had gone straight up about 100 ft and it lost the connection and went into the return home mode. Fortunately, mine just hovered above me for 30 seconds and I was able to regain control by turning the controller off and then back on and then flipping the S1 switch down and up. It did kind of worry me when it happened as I was in a wooded area.

I'm curious about the S2 settings. Did you have the switch off or was it set to the middle or bottom position?

Also, had you activated the long range FCC mode on yours? After my episode, I watched a few videos and set mine to the extended range.

I'll be putting my name and phone number on mine tonight, 4 sure.

Good luck on future flights!

The compass connections seem to be rather exposed, good thinking.
Is there any way that we could add some weatherproofing, perhaps shrink tubing?

Also, the bare ends of the Control Receiver antenna wires are just sticking down.
Is there a reason for that?
Should those stranded wires be twisted?

LandYachtMedia said:
semaj said:
Has anyone thought of attaching this:

http://blutracker.com

Seems like if you do lose your bird, you can go to the last known location using find my phantom and then start searching using this device...

What do you all think?

I'm looking at that tracker or a basic locator beacon transmitter. The website where you can order the BT tracker is https://www.sticknfind.com/. They aren't shipping yet. The website indicates January when they will be available.

I just ordered mine, and the website didn't say anything about they were not shipping yet, so that should be ok.
You can only buy 2 at a time for $49 which was ok. But I'm living in New Zealand and the delivery was more than double the price of the stickers. I ended up paying $113 which I actually didn't saw before I hit Return :( But anyway if they work like they show in the videos, the will be great for the PV2 (if it should fly away)

Did you know that when GoPro's are used in close proximity with a GPS, the satellite signal received is greatly reduced? Try it, go to your satellite page on your Garmin or Magellan GPS and bring your GoPro close, with in a foot or two and watch your Satellite signal drop more than 75%

GoPro's are emmiting RFI that interfere with GPS reception.

Jeff

Gopro's may fall with in spec according to industry standards but this doesn't mean they do not tangle with GPS reception.

This is a big problem and many have identified it and built a sheilded case for GoPro H3B.

Demo of the problem.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721571

another...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1256

I have experienced the same as the above video. I wonder if the P2V camera causes RFI. I'm also noticing in a few pictures that the GPS Antenna may or may not be sheiled in Phantoms, the Antenna is covered with something. I've never had mine a part to look.

I must have been lucky with my GoPro then... A good reason not to get the new one :)

I do find the GPS is less sensitive - ie almost certainly affected by noise - in my PV than the P1.

Side by side the P1 is always quicker to a fix.

gpauk said:
My Hero3 Black edition is very quiet, well within EMC regs (I tested it in our labs) and does not disturb GPS at all...

I heard the GoPro kills the GPS signal on some other QuadCopters, The Blade 350 most specifically. Kinda strange. I've never heard of it being a problem on Phantom's though.

gpauk said:
My Hero3 Black edition is very quiet, well within EMC regs (I tested it in our labs) and does not disturb GPS at all...

Do some testing with the gopro wifi on. I think you'll find the gopro wifi puts out a lot of noise around the wifi spectrum . . .

I'd be surprised if the gopro interfered with the GPS. The GPS is a totally different system, I can't remember the Hz that the satellites use but I have noticed some funky things happen with my phantom v1 . . .

I have an OSD that connects to the same GPS as in the phantom, it can see exactly what the naza see's without having to have the naza tell it. I've noticed during "hot-starts" (that is when changing to a second battery etc) because I had my FPV screen etc on, I'd have a picture soon after connecting the battery to the phantom and while awaiting the all clear signal, the number of GPS sats on the OSD is usually 8+! I've had 11 sats showing once not even 40seconds after the battery was in!

The stupid thing is, even tho I had 8~11 sats displaying on the OSD, the phantom led would blink green, and one or two reds. Green again, single red . . Etc? So the naza is appearing to say I'm only connect to 4 or 5 when I've got another signal saying the GPS is connected to ~9.

That doesn't seam right?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik