Avoided crash and flip

Reaction score
How I avoided crashing into the tin roof of a hunting lodge, I have no idea, but I did, believe it or not. I was attending an NRA Long Range Shooting Class just north of Hamlin, Texas. Due to physical disabilities, I was not able to assume all of the positions they wanted the shooters to assume. So, in between classes I took my Phantom 4 and thought I would fly around the lodge and do a video and take some pics of the place. So in the process, I decide to flip the control to A and almost immediately, the P4 began to drift, not just a little, but a lot. I was trying to watch the P4 and the amount of drift and next thing I know is that the P4 is drifting into the roof of the lodge. Next thing I know is that the Phantom is upside down on the roof, all props spinning and thankfully, I flipped the switch and moved it back to P. Immediately, the Phantom regained altitude and became stationary immediately. Unbelievably, there were no broken props and the Phantom flew perfectly after I flipped the switch to P.

So for those of you out there, be careful on changing the switches and if you do, be ready to flip them back.

**** it was upside down!?!...how the hell did it flip back over to fly again!!!

All I can say is that it flipped back over and was back at normal flight mode. I have no idea of how this happened, but it did. It went from the P4 being upside down and all the props spinning on the roof, to hovering in the air about 10 feet in the air. But it did.

Probably the weird way R/C cars etc. will sometimes flip back up on all fours.

You have to take in the torque of the motors, and the top of the props are also rubbing against the structure etc.

Not so unbelievable lol.

Probably the weird way R/C cars etc. will sometimes flip back up on all fours.

You have to take in the torque of the motors, and the top of the props are also rubbing against the structure etc.

Not so unbelievable lol.
Yes ive had my rc trucks do that..throttle up to rock and flip it but quads are screwed once upside down.

All I can say is that it flipped back over and was back at normal flight mode. I have no idea of how this happened, but it did. It went from the P4 being upside down and all the props spinning on the roof, to hovering in the air about 10 feet in the air. But it did.
You sir got very very lucky!!

What I forgot to say is that when the Phantom hit the roof and flipped over, I flipped the switch from Atti to P, which would probably account for it flipping over and regained it's correct flying posture. I did not have the video turned on as it was just a training flight of sorts. Believe me, I was in panic mode when I saw the Phantom drifting like a ***** to the right and headed to the steep angled tin roof. All I could think of doing once it hit the roof and began sliding down the tin roof was to flip the switch from Atti to P and evidently it worked because I was totally surprised beyond belief when it flipped back over and went straight up in the air. I would have sworn that it was going to be one busted up Gimbal/Camera. Wether anyone believed me or not, is of little consequence, it just happened as I have written, so believing is up to the individual.

Good save, for those with experience of flying manual quads, flipping back over is not very unusual. I can throw any of my symas up in the air with 0 throttle and then throttle up which causes them to flip over to regular position and fly normal like nothing ever happened. People call it "hand launching". In fact, they have a button to do complete 360 flips in any directions you want them to flip

Reactions: Dwilli9013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20