P3 Firmware "Avoid an update burn out" SOLVED

Reaction score
Phantom 3 advanced
Having failed a previous firmware update, the main gimbal board appeared to be dead and was replaced. When the firmware update was attempted, this time the board burned out and the yaw motor also. The update process did seem to take rather a long time with the motors twitching around most of the time.. The sd card showed that the update had been successful. The flexi to the yaw was burned and also a couple of components on the main gimbal board. So the next proposal is to replace the main board and the Yaw motor but disconnect the gimbal motors before attempting to install the firmware, thus taking the pressure off the gimbal motors.
Has anyone tried this before ?
Does anyone know if this procedure is feasible ? Is it likely to work ?
I shall value any assistance.

Reactions: Sommer86
If you are not forced to do an update as a result of these events would it not perhaps be more sensible to NOT do one?
As to answering you questions, sorry way, way over my head, sorry.

I know what you mean. The previous firmware was lost when the sd was wiped. I may try to find what version it was and use that to install new board.
Cheers

Ahhh so you are with out a paddle at the moment, pity, good luck

I have never tried to do an update with the gimbals motors disconnected, but I would imagine that it would not work. The main gimbal board would probably detect that the motors are not responsive and the update would fail. Maybe @quaddamage will see this thread and respond with his findings.
Also, it is a good idea when updating a P3A and P3P, to aim a fan at the gimbal to keep it cool, during the update.
I have a good P3A gimbal board on hand, it already has the latest firmware installed and has the yaw motor too.If you are interested, PM me.

Reactions: p3s_noob
I have never tried to do an update with the gimbals motors disconnected, but I would imagine that it would not work. The main gimbal board would probably detect that the motors are not responsive and the update would fail. Maybe @quaddamage will see this thread and respond with his findings.

If you disconnect motors and cmos sensor only, the update should work. Though I have no idea if this is what the OP meant. I doubt that.
If you already damaged something, update won't fix it. Main controller in the Gimbal and Ambarella are required for any update.

Components of the drone are connected in an internal network where they can talk to each other. Let's imagine a communist spy network. If one spy gets shot dead, he won't react on any updates from peers, no matter how much they try. Same with DJI drones - if a part will stop booting, you can't convince it to boot again by asking it to accept update. It won't respond. It's dead.

The best solution was proposed by PhiliusFoggg: If you want to update, then DON'T. And if you still do not feel convinced then go for a walk, come back and DON'T!!

Reactions: JoBe
If you disconnect motors and cmos sensor only, the update should work. Though I have no idea if this is what the OP meant. I doubt that.
If you already damaged something, update won't fix it. Main controller in the Gimbal and Ambarella are required for any update.

Components of the drone are connected in an internal network where they can talk to each other. Let's imagine a communist spy network. If one spy gets shot dead, he won't react on any updates from peers, no matter how much they try. Same with DJI drones - if a part will stop booting, you can't convince it to boot again by asking it to accept update. It won't respond. It's dead.

The best solution was proposed by PhiliusFoggg: If you want to update, then DON'T. And if you still do not feel convinced then go for a walk, come back and DON'T!!
???⚰️

Reactions: JoBe
Also, it is a good idea when updating a P3A and P3P, to aim a fan at the gimbal to keep it cool, during the update.
I have a good P3A gimbal board on hand, it already has the latest firmware installed and has the yaw motor too.If you are interested, PM me.
Thanks for that. I am committed to trying the new board ( when it arrives ) but I'll keep you in mind.

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Where will a find the CMOS sensor ?

On a board behind the lens.
Ok thanks for that.
So, for future reference, if I disconnect the twin flex cable and the single flex (Yaw), that isolates the moving parts. In the meantime I will try to " Recuvva" the sd card to find number of original firmware and download an image, just in case that would be the road to go down. It may be some time before I can get back to this but thanks for your help.

if I disconnect the twin flex cable and the single flex (Yaw), that isolates the moving parts. In the meantime I will try to " Recuvva" the sd card to find number of original firmware and download an image, just in case that would be the road to go down

I'm not saying it's a road to accomplish anything, only that you can do update like that. If you're trying to limit overheating during update, that is not it. Functional gimbal motors do not overheat.

Yes, I get what you are saying. I have replaced the damaged yaw motor and eventually the main gimbal board. I'll keep a close eye on it when installing firmware and that should do the trick. Fingers crossed

I know what you mean. The previous firmware was lost when the sd was wiped. I may try to find what version it was and use that to install new board.
Cheers
did u check ur log_ab file?
also check this one before putting on the new gimbal board:

did u check ur log_ab file?
also check this one before putting on the new gimbal board:
No, I did not but shall do when I get time. As for the thermal pads, it's not the first time i've heard of people " uprating " them. I will have a close look at that when the time comes. I may not see a replacement board for a few weeks. Thanks for your interest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic