Atti mode...

I fly almost every day in the same general area, usually from my deck next to a wrought iron railing. I know that's not good, but I get up and out of there in a hurry.
I haven't calibrated for over six months and have never had an issue. I land in the same take off location and always hand catch.
I did last calibrate it at a good neutral location, obviously. My theory is don't mess with it if it's working ok and if in doubt, check the compass sensor reading to see if it's in spec. IMO of course.

Hi Fred. Just keep asking questions. We don't mind!

If you are interested, click the link below for a few tips I like to share:
Soon to be new owner phantom 3 advanced
Thanks again - it is not until a problem happens that you need to 'learn more'. Well, looks like my problem today was doing a calibration near metal. Thankfully, I can now have that well deserved glass of wine.

Reactions: Oso
Thankfully, I can now have that well deserved glass of wine.
Nice. The weekend has already started for you in the UK, so have a great one sir!

Oh, I was really under the impression from all of the on-line tutorials that you needed to calibrate it every time you fly. A constant learning curve - in my ignorance I even thought this was something setting up the 'home point' - now I know better. Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

Hi Fred. Last weekend I was 3 hours from home at a friends house and had a 2 battery flawless flight without calibration. I was letting the bird tell me what it needed. I've read that just because the compass may show ok, it may not be. But, you can let the bird hover after takeoff, close to the ground, and make sure it's not acting funny before you commence to flying. If it drifts while connect to gps, you probably need a calibration. I was 3 hours from home so I decided to test this theory. I launched and let it hover and it acted super stable. So I flew at that height a bit, ( 4' ) just in the yard and it acted fine. Getting a little higher and farther away without problems my confidence grew that a calibration wasn't needed. I was 180 miles away from where it was last calibrated which was in a clear open field where the closest steel was about a quarter mile away. ( a metal barn ) I trusted the bird to let me know what it needed. May not be a correct way to go about it but this I've read here in these forums and tried and it worked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Fred Guernsey
Thanks for your note. I was under the impression after seeing one tutorial on YouTube that a calibration should be doing when travelling more than 100 miles. Thankfully today after a successful calibration taking off anything that was metal including ring watch et cetera I had a perfect flight

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JohnnyB
And today - no problems at all. Good 22 satellites but on checking the MOD values, the compass was right up at over 1,700. Hence I calibrated in the open - and after that the MOD values came right down to just over 1,400. Guessing I was right to calibrate.

Atti mode... not even once
smiley.gif
smiley.gif

I am a nervous newbie with under 30 flights with the Advanced 3 - and so far so good. Not wanting to venture out too far but am getting some good altitude. For the firs time today the drone went into anti mode whilst in P mode with 18+ satellites. I moved it quickly and it went back into GPS mode - anyone have any feedback on this. Greatly appreciated.
As @alokbhargava noted, we have seen a sudden spike in reports of P3s rapidly switching between ATTI and GPS modes often combined with an increase in reported compass errors. If you don't mind, would you please let us know exactly which versions of FW you have on your AC and your RC as well as which version of the app? Please just don't say "latest" since that leads to guessing. Since compass issues are so serious, we'd like to be able to find something common in all of these sudden reports. Thanks.

Last edited:
There have been reports about P3 switching on its own to ATTI mode and back. The result was near flyaway / crash. You are lucky that you were alert and could get it back to GPS mode back quickly.

I have not read the solution to such problems anywhere. This could be due to DJI Go App glitch or HW problem of RC. You got to be careful now onwards.

1. Get your logs analyzed to check if you find anything.
2. Reinstall DJI Go App.
3. Contact DJI support.

I had this issue to the point where the bird was lagging and eventually flying in a random direction on its own, sent to DJI, they found no such issue and repaired a few minor things.

Flying it now the problem isn't happening, however the compass Error periodically is still happening.

Hopefully it's a software glitch that can be fixed by an update.

Yes we have still not come out of that unknown dreaded compass error.

To continue on this topic, venturing out today and looking at potential take off areas : a lot are near some small metal railings or concert: could be metal inside. Am I right in saying that if I do a clean calibration somewhere else it would be ok to take off near metal railings/concrete or avoid these totally

To continue on this topic, venturing out today and looking at potential take off areas : a lot are near some small metal railings or concert: could be metal inside. Am I right in saying that if I do a clean calibration somewhere else it would be ok to take off near metal railings/concrete or avoid these totally

In cases like this I think the compass error messages come up when the bird senses a dramatic change in compass readings. When you turn it on, it senses the distorted field and thinks that is normal. As you climb or travel out, the field changes and the firmware detects that as a compass error. Since they seem to continue flying ok when you switch back to GPS mode, it must accept the new field. It works, because the compass is only used to tell the bird which direction it is pointing and the direction back to home. Traveling to another location and not recalibrating might have a different deviation, but the bird shouldn't care. No need to compensate for deviation or other anomalies because you aren't flying from one point to another 100's of miles away like a manned aircraft might.

Reactions: Dounin Front

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl