Atti mode...

To continue on this topic, venturing out today and looking at potential take off areas : a lot are near some small metal railings or concert: could be metal inside. Am I right in saying that if I do a clean calibration somewhere else it would be ok to take off near metal railings/concrete or avoid these totally

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I'm sure the railings, etc are best avoided, but FYI: I always takeoff from an aluminum table (that's ok) next to a wrought iron railing (not ok) without incident. I don't linger there. I do periodically check the compass mod before takeoff and it's always between 1400 and 1500.
I did have one compass error several hundred feet from this takeoff point once, but the great men from this forum [alokbhargava] decided it was most likely a false positive.(a good reason to stay above the trees in case things go crazy)

So are you saying to avoid small metal railings/concrete in any locations ? Even after a clean calibration somewhere else; like an open field

If you have calibrated somewhere else you are good to go. Only issue is if your AC sees magnetic materials or fields that affect the compass exceeding the limit, you will get compass error on the ground itself. That shows that that place has lots of disturbance at ground level. It's better to move a little away so that you takeoff cleanly with directional control all the time. I m sure once it flies up, effect of ground materials will diminish.

During flights, you should avoid magnetic fields from power lines , flying closer to large buildings or towers. These precautions are just to protect your AC finding the wrong direction due to external effects.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik