ATTI mode practice!

You are very brave!! :D Did you have visual contact with the drone?

Reactions: OOO
In atti mode, the gps/glonass is still enabled, but doesn’t position the drone. Just shows the location of drone. Unless in p-atti or f-atti. That means that drone can’t find a gps signal.

In atti mode, the gps/glonass is still enabled, but doesn’t position the drone. Just shows the location of drone. Unless in p-atti or f-atti. That means that drone can’t find a gps signal.

The drone was in regular P mode at launch. But it went into ATTI mode as soon as I entered in this cave-like place. I had zero satellite and no GPS signal during the entire flight. I turned VPS and OA off even before the flight.

Last edited:
A stunning gorge!

Thanks AW. This one is one of my oldest video in this forum. I was just testing the limits of my new toy :)

What do you think about this one? Valla is one of the deepest and rugged canyon in the world, also known as bottomless canyon. The length of the canyon is about 12 km and the depth is around 1000-1200 m. It is one of the deadlist canyon for climbers and canyonists. It was extremelly hard to film. In some sections ATTI mode was the only option to fly. I got frequent compass error messages during the flight. In addition, the bottom of the canyon was dark and the top was extremelly bright. I'm not a pro and I find it very difficult to film in such situations. But I didn't give up!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
007: Again, stunningly beautiful scenery. I'd heard, a long time ago from someone who wanted to be my literary agent, that Turkey had amazing natural landscapes - but your videos have gone beyond what I'd imagined.

Obviously, in this video you've got approximately 30 seconds of badly over-exposed footage from 2 minutes onwards.

But some of your footage is excellent. If I were you, I'd pick out the very best bits (being hard on myself) and keep them for future compilations.

Just over a year ago, the four of us were wading through The Narrows, Zion National Park, Utah. (And as I have a balancing problem, the three wonderful women actually had me in "The Raft" - but think inexpensive inflatable dingy - for some of the way, pulling it/me upstream.) If you get up to the Wall Street section early enough, there's some wonderful reflected orange/golden light on the sandstone walls. It's a great location for stills photography.

Going back to the previous video, good on you for flying it in ATTI mode (not that you had much choice!). I've carefully stayed in P-mode to date.

Obviously, in this video you've got approximately 30 seconds of badly over-exposed footage from 2 minutes onwards

Thank you so much for the comments and your feedback!
As I mentioned in my original post the bottom of the canyon was dark and the top was extremelly bright. I really don't know how to manage exposure in such stituations. Any suggestions? I have tried to film this canyon in 3 different times (during sunrise, sunset and in midday light). But no luck, light conditions were the same. The top was always bright and the bottom of the canyon was always dark regardless of the time of the day.

The 30 seconds or so I was referring to seem extremely overexposed, not something I've seen in your footage before. Perhaps the snow caused it? Or your settings were unusually off the mark for some reason? We always use manual settings, but auto is probably a safe bet when you're not sure - especially after trying every time of the day.

I fully appreciate that some situations, such as when filming dramatic gorges, are always going to be impossible to perfectly expose overall and this will mean compromise one way or another according to what you think is the top priority.

Almost all of our filming takes place during golden hour - usually immediately after sunrise, rather than near to sunset, simply because the winds are often lightest earlier in the day on the reserve. Sometimes, one or more of our mountains get in the way until the sun is high enough in the sky, so there has to be realistic adjustments if a location/shot is required. And working this out in advance, of course, is essential. Shadows are more acceptable during golden hour than in harsher light.

The drone was in regular P mode at launch. But it went into ATTI mode as soon as I entered in this cave-like place. I had zero satellite and no GPS signal during the entire flight. I turned VPS and OA off even before the flight.
Most of the this video was shot in ATTI mode. It was very hard to control the drone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Here is my tip for practicing in atti mode. First, download the map of your area by hooking your phone/tablet to wifi or turning on data or connecting to a hotspot. Then, Open the dji go interface and turn on cache map automatically. Do not turn on calibrate map coordinates. Wait until you see your location. Then, get off the wifi network and connect to drone. It is okay to leave on cellular data. Do not leave on your bluetooth hotspot. Just causes interference. Finally, find a nice and wide area and make sure your drone is in p-gps. Then, takeoff and get to a good height. Finally, put the switch into atti mode. If your feeling scared, Simply put it back into p-gps mode. Here are some important pointers with atti mode. Do not turn off rc or fly on low rc battery. You should also fly more close. I don not suggest tking off in atti mode first or flying drone in p-atti, unless you are an expert pilot. p-atti means that there is no gps available, so you shouldn't fly far away, even though you know how to get back. Better feel safe than sorry. Remember atti mode means altitude hold. It will only hold its altitude with the internal barometer. It will drift.

The 30 seconds or so I was referring to seem extremely overexposed, not something I've seen in your footage before. Perhaps the snow caused it? Or your settings were unusually off the mark for some reason? We always use manual settings, but auto is probably a safe bet when you're not sure - especially after trying every time of the day.

I fully appreciate that some situations, such as when filming dramatic gorges, are always going to be impossible to perfectly expose overall and this will mean compromise one way or another according to what you think is the top priority.

Almost all of our filming takes place during golden hour - usually immediately after sunrise, rather than near to sunset, simply because the winds are often lightest earlier in the day on the reserve. Sometimes, one or more of our mountains get in the way until the sun is high enough in the sky, so there has to be realistic adjustments if a location/shot is required. And working this out in advance, of course, is essential. Shadows are more acceptable during golden hour than in harsher light.

I’m a very good listener and I have followed all your previous suggestions. This one is no exception (Valla) and it was shot entirely during sunrise. You can see sunrise in the third clip. But I was not able to mange exposure. Maybe I should shot the top of the rock wall and bottom of the canyon with different settings and ND filters. I never give up and currently working on this issue. Again many thanks for your helps and feedbacks!

Here is my tip for practicing in atti mode. First, download the map of your area by hooking your phone/tablet to wifi or turning on data or connecting to a hotspot. Then, Open the dji go interface and turn on cache map automatically. Do not turn on calibrate map coordinates. Wait until you see your location. Then, get off the wifi network and connect to drone. It is okay to leave on cellular data. Do not leave on your bluetooth hotspot. Just causes interference. Finally, find a nice and wide area and make sure your drone is in p-gps. Then, takeoff and get to a good height. Finally, put the switch into atti mode. If your feeling scared, Simply put it back into p-gps mode. Here are some important pointers with atti mode. Do not turn off rc or fly on low rc battery. You should also fly more close. I don not suggest tking off in atti mode first or flying drone in p-atti, unless you are an expert pilot. p-atti means that there is no gps available, so you shouldn't fly far away, even though you know how to get back. Better feel safe than sorry. Remember atti mode means altitude hold. It will only hold its altitude with the internal barometer. It will drift.

Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer to fly in regular P mode whenever possible but in this cave-like place ATTI mode was the only option to fly. There was no GPS signal. I didn’t select ATTI mode on RC, the drone was in ATTI mode even while launching.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer to fly in regular P mode whenever possible but in this cave-like place ATTI mode was the only option to fly. There was no GPS signal. I didn’t select ATTI mode on RC, the drone was in ATTI mode even while launching.

If you get a compass error, first try to calibrate the compass and move to a different area. If that doesn’t work, don’t fly or just use atti mode. If this keeps happening, you should probably get a new imu, compass, and gps or just send the drone to dji to get fixed.

If you get a compass error, first try to calibrate the compass and move to a different area. If that doesn’t work, don’t fly or just use atti mode. If this keeps happening, you should probably get a new imu, compass, and gps or just send the drone to dji to get fixed.

Thanks. Sometimes I get compass error messages when flying in narrow canyons or very close to the rock walls but it usually disappears as soon as I move away from that spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.