Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just shot this today over my house. Wanted to test out a direct comparison between the most commonly suggested picture style settings for the Phantom 4.
I graded them in Resolve with the Blackmagic 4k to Rec709 LUT, and subtle saturation tweaks to get them to match a little closer.
I just want to open a dialogue about which setting resolves the best with grading. From my eye, I don't like the -3 -3 -3 on either of them, the DLOG gets mushy in the lower midtones and the Art is just too desaturated and not quite sharp.
Anyone care to chime in?

No sharpening whatsoever. Just color tweaks.
How are you grading that -1 0 0 None footage?

I saw his post and thats what made me shoot this. The None setting is a little more contrasty than I like to grade from, which is why I went with the Art setting (as recommended by the 2nd video in that linked thread).

No sharpening whatsoever. Just color tweaks.
How are you grading that -1 0 0 None footage?
Using Adobe premiere, RGB curves using YC waveforms, fast color corrector, 3 way color corrector and sharpening.

I tend not to use luts but have in the past.

If I turn down the sharpening in camera, I'll normally put it back to a degree in post premiere does a better job than the camera setting.

Using Adobe premiere, RGB curves using YC waveforms, fast color corrector, 3 way color corrector and sharpening.

I tend not to use luts but have in the past.

If I turn down the sharpening in camera, I'll normally put it back to a degree in post premiere does a better job than the camera setting.

Good to know. I will try that tomorrow when I fly some more in downtown.

I am surprised few people comment on the lack of detail when using dlog. The trees look mushy. Wondering if best setting is just NONE.

I agree. Many people say to use -2 -2 -2 or -3 -2 -2 and D-LOG, but to my eye trees are so mushy it seems impossible to recover the details.

Agree, Dlog settings I read months ago make trees look mushy

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been using the none setting since day 1 on my P4. Tried D-log once and I have not seen any D-log footage that looks as good as the none setting. The sensor in the P4 not designed for d-log from what I've read. Happy flying!

It is doing fine. I am still never 100% on using it all the time. Such as, when I need a bit more highlight detail or a pure white sun I will use Art, because the zebra appears not to work in D-Log but it's because the heavy rolling off from the log is smushing it all down. I shot this on D-Log

Reactions: KevMo Photog
It is doing fine. I am still never 100% on using it all the time. Such as, when I need a bit more highlight detail or a pure white sun I will use Art, because the zebra appears not to work in D-Log but it's because the heavy rolling off from the log is smushing it all down. I shot this on D-Log
Looks good to me! Cool idea chasing the car too. Your trees don't look mushy at all either. They do look very jittery however. Is that just how you wanted it with a faster shutter speed compared to frame rate? Or did you do something in post to make it look that way?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31