ARGtek Car Inside Kit

Reaction score
I got one of those kits that "extends" your antennas so you can mount them on top of your car. It allows you to fly from inside your car and stay warm in the colder weather. I attached a picture (picture is for a Phantom Standard.. could not find one for a Pro). So my question is this... is this thing going to work ?? I'm thinking about the antenna mounted (rubber suction cup) on the metal roof. Will it degrade or mess up the control signal at all?
Antenna Mount.jpg

If the antenna is on your rooftop, how does it connect back to your controller? If its a cable of any kind, I would expect some loss of signal strength between the antenna and the controller.

If the antenna is on your rooftop, how does it connect back to your controller? If its a cable of any kind, I would expect some loss of signal strength between the antenna and the controller.
Here's a picture of the actual product.....
20181103_150150.jpg

The cable run will most likely result in some signal "leakage" for lack of a better term. You may or may not notice. Just depends on how far you want to fly.

The cable run will most likely result in some signal "leakage" for lack of a better term. You may or may not notice. Just depends on how far you want to fly.
Thanks for your reply. I figured that as well... what I'm concerned about is the antenna's on the roof. Will the metal effect the signal ??

Here's a picture of the actual product.....View attachment 104980
@lil boss I think that a great idea,if anything these being more directional might have to find a way for the rubber mount to swivel as to not lose full signal so can follow drone direction better,,,,I have some of these on my p3s ,got me thinking,,I don't think roof afect remote signal ,might help deflect it?where you get anttenna cable,,,,just thought if concerned about roof interfering nice rubber mat on roof should help,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lil boss
@lil boss I think that a great idea,if anything these being more directional might have to find a way for the rubber mount to swivel as to not lose full signal so can follow drone direction better,,,,I have some of these on my p3s ,got me thinking,,I don't think roof afect remote signal ,might help deflect it?where you get anttenna cable,,,,just thought if concerned about roof interfering nice rubber mat on roof should help,
Ha... Love Your Signature... "..... Anything with props or smells of nitro methane or has a remote " Awesome. Great Job !!

The metal won't matter, but your lack of any ability to aim the antenna at the AC will.
I fully understand about the not being able to aim the antenna. I can use ordinary omi directional sticks if needed or fly in a straight line with the car and directional antennas aimed correctly. Usually on my distance runs I pick out a clear line of signal and go straight out. My concern was the magnetic properties of the vehicle. so if the metal doesn't matter then I'm good. I appreciate you knowledge and thoughts. Thanks !!

I fully understand about the not being able to aim the antenna. I can use ordinary omi directional sticks if needed or fly in a straight line with the car and directional antennas aimed correctly. Usually on my distance runs I pick out a clear line of signal and go straight out. My concern was the magnetic properties of the vehicle. so if the metal doesn't matter then I'm good. I appreciate you knowledge and thoughts. Thanks !!

Just don't launch too close to the car. That can easily result in magnetic interference. Pay close attention to the app and do not fly if you see warnings. Have fun!

Gotcha... Will be careful... Thanks for your help.. Take Care !

I hate to tell you this buddy but i purchased the exact same one and installed it on my old P3S remote "i sold it last month" to try and get more range and i didn't see much difference. Mine was installed directly on the remote and not the car roof, i hoped that i would be able to double the range but i only seen small improvement.

I hate to tell you this buddy but i purchased the exact same one and installed it on my old P3S remote "i sold it last month" to try and get more range and i didn't see much difference. Mine was installed directly on the remote and not the car roof, i hoped that i would be able to double the range but i only seen small improvement.

Thank for your reply. I purchased this item not to increase my range, but to keep myself warm in the winter by piloting from inside the car. That said, I do think a positive thing is that mounted on the roof the antennas will be higher and perhaps a tiny bit more range... BUT, that is probably negated by the longer lead in cable. So one probably cancels out the other. I'll be a lot warmer! My fingers won't be shivering and quivering the joy controls sticks. Wishing you a great weekend !!

The metal will help the signal, as it will increase the size of the 'collection area' not much different than putting tin foil on an old TV antenna.

The metal will help the signal, as it will increase the size of the 'collection area' not much different than putting tin foil on an old TV antenna.
Now That Sounds Like A Plan... Thanks Man For The heads Up !! Have A Good One !
EDIT: YEARS ago I was into CB Radio. CBers referred to the metal on a car as a "Ground Plane" for the antenna(s)... not sure of the spelling.

Last edited:
I got one of those kits that "extends" your antennas so you can mount them on top of your car. It allows you to fly from inside your car and stay warm in the colder weather. I attached a picture (picture is for a Phantom Standard.. could not find one for a Pro). So my question is this... is this thing going to work ?? I'm thinking about the antenna mounted (rubber suction cup) on the metal roof. Will it degrade or mess up the control signal at all? View attachment 104979
this guy Richard has the kit like your talking about but i think it was on his phantom 3
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have this argtek range extender + car kit for my P3P but disappointed with the range. I live in a city with a lot of interference, tested the RC kit at different locations, signal usually started to drop from 1KM out and the max I could go is 1.5~1.7KM. When I connected the car kit my range reduces significantly, at one location I did a few times range tests, with the RC kit I could go 1.5KM, with the car kit it could only go 700m.

I think you going to find that is exactly the same as standing outside your car and flying it.
We use the Reflective Shield to fly inside the car and that works ok but magnetic interference is much more your enemy than any range your going to get .

Because the controller is inside the car, you sill have all the same problems to negotiate when you fly in or around a car . we also fly from inside the house with the same results.
So yes its going to work but not with the magic you think you might get from it.

The Titan is a step up but still have to be careful.
When I say be care-full , I mean watch for Atti Mode to appear out of nowhere and quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31