• Think about it now and then

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Have no fear

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Now that you mention it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
It seems there are many threads that talk about crashes, battery issues, esc issues, and numerous issues. Given the price we paid for our birds, do you ever get scared to fly for fear of a total loss? I just got a propulsion output reduction warning, this after trading in a defective battery. this after another battery with many major deviations. It almost seems like when not if my Phantom will fail. I love flying and I am gaining confidence in my skills, but at the same time my fear factor is rising with each new warning/issue. Anyone else feeling the same?

Flying rc aircraft is always going to have a degree of risk of failure.

Now these days its normally operator error that causes most chance of an incident.

If you are not an aggressive flyer, there are low chances of crashes if you follow the simple checks before each flight such as fully charged batteries, compass calibration and home lock. Have a look at your P3 after your flights, clean it up and store. You take care of it, it will fly smoothly. After all it's a flying machine and any thing can go wrong but you can minimize failures by taking preventive measures.

In short, I'm not scared of flying.

It IS when not IF! Having lost a few completely its not a fear anymore. The key to overcoming your fear is having a backup! Knowing you can charge up and fly an hour later.
So if you got the means now buy a spare. Leave it in the box dont register and start warranty. Just save it , when you walk home w/ your head down and a broken gimble in your hand, go to the closet open up the sealed dji box and watch yer face light up like a 5 yr old at x-mas[emoji41]

It seems there are many threads that talk about crashes, battery issues, esc issues, and numerous issues. Given the price we paid for our birds, do you ever get scared to fly for fear of a total loss? I just got a propulsion output reduction warning, this after trading in a defective battery. this after another battery with many major deviations. It almost seems like when not if my Phantom will fail. I love flying and I am gaining confidence in my skills, but at the same time my fear factor is rising with each new warning/issue. Anyone else feeling the same?
I have a lot of confidence in the P3, especially the RTH feature. There have been times where I've gone too far out, way out of LOS, and the video feed dropped and the app even crashed. I was scared shhitless that the RTH wouldn't work but it did. These things are pretty well made. As long as you make sure that your RTH is set to a very high altitude (to avoid trees and obrstructions) and you make sure the calibration and GPS are on point you are generally safe with the exception of a MISTAKE YOU MAKE.

I'm never afraid but I know one day I'll make some mistake to have a crash. I have 3 P1s and they are very reliable. I always have to keep in mind where I launch. I make sure I have home point recorded. But if I have trees etc around me and fly past them and for some reason Return to Home kicks in, will it clear the trees coming home. The P1 RTH altitude is only about 60 feet. That would not clear my trees. So I have to remember to take off and get some altitude and reset home point at that altitude. Or if I start inside tree area and fly to an open area, reset home point there. So far I haven't landed in any trees. I have bumped a couple of branches though. ,

It was nerve wracking at first. After 12 flights (not much flying because of weather) I am becoming more confident in the craft and myself.
4 flights ago my tablet froze. I was at my distance limit. Getting weak image transmission. So I turned it around, line up on home with map and pushed forward.
I was at 300ft up and I knew my RTH was set for 328ft.So I new there was nothing to hit. Then I noticed my screen froze. So I kept pushing forward thinking I am line up on home. (from the video this was correct)
But then the tablet rebooted. Oops! So then I did nothing. Once the tab rebooted I started go app. But it would not connect. (should have unplugged and replugged usb)
I was fairly sure I still had control and if I just push forward it would come back to sight. Then I thought about the RTH button.
But I had never used it an forgot what the manual said. (push and hold or just push once.) I think I pushed it twice. So was not sure where that left me.
So I shut the control off. Within a few minutes I could hear something and then it cleared the tree line. What a beautiful sight.
I restarted the control. Got linkage. Brought her in for a perfect landing in a small area of cleared snow.

I read up on RTH after that. That episode built my confidence in my craft and me.

Reactions: JickMagger
im just scared of crashing.

it happens!
just hope it the harmless type when it does!

survived more that 2 or maybe 5 so far.....a few props and minor repairs and back in the air
btw operator error in every event, NOT the quads fault in any way.

good luck and have fun flying!

I prefer to think about it from an opposite tack and I picked this logic up when I was young and invulnerable.

My point of view is from a pessimist.
pessimist
[pes-uh-mist]

noun
1. a person who habitually sees or anticipates the worst or is disposed to be gloomy.

Though I am not gloomy. I think I have a cheerful disposition as I am far happier than virtually any optimist I know.

Every time I take of, I expect it to crash. Its a loss I am willing to absorb. If it does, then I am not too upset as I got exactly what I expected to happen. When it doesn't happen, I am happy as a lark. Woohoo! Beat the odds!

The poor optimist...
Every time he takes off, he expects everything will go well. And when it does, he just got what he expected. When it doesn't, then he feels bad or upset.

Frankly, I am far happier as a pessimist than an optimist. I am frequently elated when things don't go as badly as I expect.

Reactions: fly-catchers
I'm never afraid but I know one day I'll make some mistake to have a crash. I have 3 P1s and they are very reliable. I always have to keep in mind where I launch. I make sure I have home point recorded. But if I have trees etc around me and fly past them and for some reason Return to Home kicks in, will it clear the trees coming home. The P1 RTH altitude is only about 60 feet. That would not clear my trees. So I have to remember to take off and get some altitude and reset home point at that altitude. Or if I start inside tree area and fly to an open area, reset home point there. So far I haven't landed in any trees. I have bumped a couple of branches though. ,

I sold my p1 about a year ago, but cant you set the RTH higher using the assistant in the PC?
I thought I set mine at 45m to be above my trees.

BTW flying a p1 is like driving a sport car vs the p3's. quick, nimble and light
I had that everywhere.

good luck and have fun flying

It IS when not IF! Having lost a few completely its not a fear anymore. The key to overcoming your fear is having a backup! Knowing you can charge up and fly an hour later.
So if you got the means now buy a spare. Leave it in the box dont register and start warranty. Just save it , when you walk home w/ your head down and a broken gimble in your hand, go to the closet open up the sealed dji box and watch yer face light up like a 5 yr old at x-mas[emoji41]

I do subscribe to the back up club myself.

EXCEPT
aint no way I can get that ups delivery without ripping the box open now.....lol

Due to where I live the only thing that makes me nervous about flying is when it's really windy, I'm up on the side of a canyon and the updrafts coming off the edge can sometimes make things pretty interesting.. Other than that I've never had anything but pure confidence and satisfaction when flying my P3P, it's just that kind of machine. Love it

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I sold my p1 about a year ago, but cant you set the RTH higher using the assistant in the PC?
I thought I set mine at 45m to be above my trees.

BTW flying a p1 is like driving a sport car vs the p3's. quick, nimble and light
I had that everywhere.

good luck and have fun flying
No it can't be set any higher in assistant. But once flying you can go up to tree height for example and cycle the S2 switch from middle to lower position 5 times and that will set a new home elevation point. It will give you quick green flashes to confirm that although it may be hard to see. So whatever altitude I reset in the air, RTH altitude should be about 60 feet above that. You can also reset course lock direction in the air with S2 switch.

Reactions: kirk2579
Scared when I get to my flying field. Relieved and happy when I go home with everything in the same condition as when I got there! :)

I am scared every time I fly. I spin my props on and think what if this is the last time? Definitely scared....

I like to think I am "aware" it may not come back!
scared would be a bit higher level, but after so many phantoms and soo many flights I figure......it will return...until it doesn't..
that's why I sell it and get another,,, before its number is up. just kidding.

good luck and have fun flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl