Are many of you guys planning on sticking by the Phantom 3 Pro after 4 is released?

Does obstacle avoidance and autonomous flying phase you? Someone who is skilled enough is able to avoid obstacles and follow someone right?
OA or autonomous fly should not be a factor in purchase decision. They are added features, if the costs are reasonable or affordable, then why not.

for example, I have the skill to fly an UAV that has no gps, compass, accel nor gyro. I still purchase phantom because the cost of phantom is reasonable and it is difficult to buy an UAV without those components. My time to make one from scratch will cost more than a P4.

I will keep the p3a the p4 makes me laugh, and angry with DJI at the same time! Obstacle avoidance only works in forward, that's it that dosent do too much, "learn to fly on your own", follow me tracking as seen in Tested video, is severely flawed looses sight quickly and only works on bright days, the ideas were great but too flawed to be safe! DJI will destroy a great hobby with the p4 , they boast how you don't need to learn 2 stick control lol, YES you do!!!!!! Tech has flaws its can fail and we see it with all products! New pilots will get in serious trouble with these thinking it will fly itself! Then watch the DJI video " running with p4" they show a woman set the app to tracking then proceed to leave controller in place and go for a jog, that's redicuous why would you show that you have no control in event it fails ! Lost alot of faith in DJI yesterday !!!
I bet when you lost your P3, you will buy another DJI.

BTW, the trend is making the controller wearable, have you seen the video for dji concept x.

Due to the Canadian price of drones, I tend to always buy the newest model DJI Phantom at the start of their 4th quarter. This is when prices drop like mad in anticipation of the next model. The only benefit I've found from this is that the model has gone through all the refinements by then. So in summary, I will uprade to the P4 in 9 months from now.

Reactions: Air Ontario
Its better to enjoy P3 and get its full juice out before switching to P4. Thats my choice.

Reactions: Richard Walker
No, it's not enough of an upgrade. The next drone will be something that can carry a DSLR.

I just don't get all the folks excited with this new fat baby grown on fast food. Its really fat, hence the shine...
The gimbal and the camera look like a joke compared to P3.
If you are the kind of guy that needs to be able to tell "yeah its a P4, the latest" you could just try putting a "P4" sticker on it.
Folks you would be showing it off to, wouldn't tell the difference anyway :)

I was really hoping that P4 would have more redundancies built-in, especially the 1-prop/engine damaged or off - safe land algorithm.
Its already there for years, tried and tested (spins around, but stable descent viable) these CPUs can handle it.
2 IMUs is nice but if one engine stalls mid-flight what does it help? (besides having to spend more cash on replacing 2 IMUs instead of 1)

Retractable gear, yep, for this price tag that could have been included as well.
Don"t like the automated flight (tap and go there) either, takes away the real fun. reminds me of parrot.
I'd rather buy another P3 just as a spare for all the accessories we already have....
Plus a DIY retractable gear, plus some spare engines. plus plus.
And still lots of cash left :)
And wouldn't give a s...t about the fact there is a newer one. There always is.

I would not be surprised if in 3 and 6 months DJI releases two new Phantom 4 models.

At the 3 month point... The model will be a Phantom 4 less the forward sensors, tap to fly and tap to follow. Essentially an upgraded Phantom 3. If history proves correct, this model will sell for $250 less than current model, so around $1150 US.

By the 6 month point the Phantom 3 Standard, Advanced & Professional will be no more (discontinued). Therefore DJI
Will need an entry low priced model under $1000. So enter the WiFi model with enhanced Wifi (2000 meter range), and having all Phantom 4 features less the forward sensors, tap to go, tap to follow.

Nope, I don't have a crystal ball so this is just based on history and a business sense to cover the hobbiest market.

Still loving my P3A, I might upgrade to the P5 next year if it has significant new features. I'll probably adopt the skip every other year upgrade strategy I had with Windows and many other tech items.

If you missed Windows 9, you really missed out. Hehe

That was the one to keep... ;-)

RedHotPoker

P4 does look great, but I couldn't be happier with my P3. It does everything I need it to do, and I like the fact that you have to keep your powder dry to fly it safely. Not sure I'm ready for collision avoidance, I like avoiding obstacles myself, all part of the fun. Also, 15 mins flight time is more than enough for me, I'm usually knackered after 10 minutes anyway!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4