How many Phantom 4 models are there?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm very new and very confused. DJI's own website didn't help. Ok here's the story. I want to learn how to map and draw maps using a drone. I was told to go with the Phantom Pro because it has great obstacle avoidance. Well my local store had 1 Phantom 4 Pro + (plus) in stock for $1460 so I bought it instantly because the price was too good. Now I'm confused and maybe guilt.

How many models are there because my is not listed on DJI website?

Does this have obstacle avoidance feature like the Mavic Pro 2?

Should I just buy a Mavic Pro 2 instead?

Is $1460 a steal? Because I was told by the sales person that that price was very cheap.

Should I return it? Still sealed.

Thankyou

How many models are there because my is not listed on DJI website?
There are three main models to the P4 series.
The original P4, (12MP camera)
The P4 pro and the P4 advanced (20 MP cameras)
There was a late minor update to the P4 pro, called the P4 pro V2.0

The pro and Adv come in two varieties - the plus (+) models with the integrated display on the controller.

I want to learn how to map and draw maps using a drone. I was told to go with the Phantom Pro because it has great obstacle avoidance.
If you want to do mapping, obstacle avoidance is about the last thing you need.
Mapping is done from up high - not down among the trees.
But they all have OA anyway.
Now the bad news.
The plus models are no use for mapping since the integrated controller won't allow loading of the 3rd party apps necessary to do the mapping.
Is $1460 a steal? Because I was told by the sales person that that price was very cheap.
The M2 isn't quite as good for mapping but if mapping is what you want to do, and you have the option of returning it, that would probably be a good idea.

Do some more research before parting with the cash.
Go to the DroneDeploy website to learn about mapping.

Another option would be to find a used controller that doesn’t have the screen. Two to three hundred dollars. You will be hard pressed to find a better camera than what you now have. Open the box.
I have both the phantom and Mavic Pro and would have a hard time deciding whether I wanted to part with either one.

There are three main models to the P4 series.
The original P4, (12MP camera)
The P4 pro and the P4 advanced (20 MP cameras)
There was a late minor update to the P4 pro, called the P4 pro V2.0
And, lastly, the Phantom 4 RTK for professionals who do mapping.

Does this have obstacle avoidance feature like the Mavic Pro 2?
Yes.

Maybe if you need something that's more compact. If your only concern is obstacle avoidance, you're likely nothing going to see a difference when going to the Mavic 2 Pro.

Assuming you're scouting out your flying area before flying, obstacles really shouldn't be an issue. It would be best to manually avoid obstacles since the sensors are not foolproof (on any DJI drone).

Is $1460 a steal?
That's a good deal. The P4P+ currently starts around $1,589 elsewhere.

Reactions: Frylikeabird
I was in the same boat as you. Only I purchased a used plus version locally before doing a lot of research. I assumed (like many I found out later) that the “better” or “newer” version with the handy included screen has software limitations. I.E., no third party apps. There are work arounds but from what I’ve read, aren’t 100%. I thought it safer to purchase another controller, the GL300F. Deciding on which iPad to buy now. Really up to you on the return. I do like the GL300E. It’s handy, no cords, bright screen, no worries about charging another item, and no setup, it’s always attached. I think the only phantom 4 being produced is the RTK. I found it pretty sad that they made a mapping version of the 4, the RTK (which btw, has an included/attached screen) but don't allow the owners of the P4P Plus to add mapping software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frylikeabird
The RTK is pricey. You'll need to find a dealer who sells it -- like B&H:

phantom 4 rtk | B&H Photo Video
Found it. It's $7600ish. Any solution to my current bought setup that you can think of? It would be nice to learn mapping under $3000 vs $7000?
I wish there is a way to install 3rd party app on the included controller.
There's a controller on ebay for under $300.

Any solution to my current bought setup that you can think of?
You'll need a P4 remote controller without a screen to use 3rd party mapping apps. If the box is still sealed, maybe return it and get a P4P (no plus).

Update. This evening I took the drone back still sealed. I was given a surprise a new price of $1100! I was told to take it back home and given 10 days to decide. I don't know why are they so kind and why the price is soooo low. Am I getting a refurbished? An open box? It is sealed in its brown box with metallic tape. This is very tough on me.

Where did you buy it?
Ok I got my drone friends over just opened it. Brand spanking new! I gave the store a call and thank them. The reason a sad one. They're going out of business. So $1100 for a drone Phantom 4 pro + with built in screen remote is a steal. Better than buying an iPhone. My friends told me I got a good deal because other places sell for $1800-$1600. Well I feel good. Now I'll start flying.

My 1st drone ever and its a Phantom 4 Pro with the "+"! Well I gotta go learn to fly more. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20190222_215033.jpg
    20190222_215033.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
  • 20190222_215112.jpg
    20190222_215112.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 206

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members