Anyone else getting these warnings??

Reaction score
So I nearly had a fly away at the weekend but thought when I had done the calibration of the RC and IMU and got the app working properly it would be working perfect but no..

I'm getting these warning now when I try connect and the last time it connected and I flew it I nearly lost it so don't know what to do...

When I got these warnings I was at least half a mile from anything that could interfere with it also..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 1,111
Reactions: philhenry
Never seen them warnings, but first thoughts are you appear to be very close to over head power lines which will no doubt be playing a part in them errors.

Reactions: Options
This is the thing no matter where i bring it im getting this message, i tried it again on my way back to my car and the same thing.. Most worrying this is when it told me it was safe to fly over the weekend i lost all contact and no matter where i put the controls it was flying away from me...

Never Seen them on Mine.

Goto Airplane mode
Cars keys
The Over Head wires
Fancy Smart Watch
??????????

Yes, definitely be in airplane mode on the device. I have always done that with the P3P and never had any issues to date.

When you are calibrating the compass any significant iron object will interfere with the compass setting. It can be something small close by or a larger item farther away will make a difference. However in this case it may be a fault, presumably the GPS and compass readings are significantly different. It is hard to understand why a compass is needed outdoors when GPS can tell that it is inaccurate.

Never Seen them on Mine.

Goto Airplane mode
Cars keys
The Over Head wires
Fancy Smart Watch
??????????

Only thing it could have been was my car keys cause i have tried this in 3 different places but took the screen shot from probly the worst place.. I did the IMU calibration at home so i might try it again out in the open and see what happens.. Still as i said even if it tells me im good to fly im still not confident anymore..

I did the IMU calibration at home so i might try it again out in the open and see what happens...

I think you may have found the problem solution yourself.
Never align the IMU indoors. A house is full of powered electrical wires and electrodomestics plus a lot of iron and steel on the structure. Surely not the best place to calibrate the IMU.
Try the calibration outside, away from anything that could interfere the calibration and let us know

Reactions: oo7tk
It is hard to understand why a compass is needed outdoors when GPS can tell that it is inaccurate.

The GPS tells the Phantom where it is, and if it's moving, it can therefore tell which direction it is going. But if it is not moving, a GPS cannot tell the Phantom which direction it is facing, so it needs a compass to know that information.

Chris

Never align the IMU indoors. A house is full of powered electrical wires and electrodomestics plus a lot of iron and steel on the structure. Surely not the best place to calibrate the IMU.
Try the calibration outside, away from anything that could interfere the calibration and let us know

This is true for compass calibration but not for IMU calibration. You need a perfectly level surface that doesn't move at all for IMU calibration. This surface does not have to be free of metal.

For compass calibration, all that has been said about metal, etc is very much true,

Chris

Actually, IMU and gimbal cals need to be done on a level surface that is vibration free, inside is fine.

The OP is having a problem calibrating the compass. It needs to be done away from ferris metal, outside is best.

When you start your compass calibration, hold the bird level at arms length away from you. Then turn around in a clock like manner. Go around 360 and continue about another 60-90 degrees until lights blink green. Turn the bird on its nose and continue the clock like turn like before. The screen will confirm if you did it right. It's called Compass Dance.

Anything metallic in your backpack?
Try using an empty cardboard box.

IMU calibration has nothing to do with metal objects, the main thing is it should be leve and not jiggled during the calibration - which is often easier inside.
I'd still not do it on a metal surface though, in fact the phantom will show a similar warning message when near any metal object and it takes a while to get over the 'disturbance'.

Yes I meant calibrating the compass not the IMU. I wrote this on my Ipad while on the move and I have no clue why I wrote IMU.
However I guess it is obvious from my post that I was meaning the compass calibration.
Sorry for the confusion.

I actually had an out of the box P3P that would also keep giving this error, no matter how I tried to calibrate it. Never even got to fly it.
Ended up returning it, new one calibrates fine even indoors.
Could be a compass issue.

The usual cause of these kinds of problems is that the compass has been exposed to a magnetic force strong enough to "magnetize" the compass beyond the capability of the compass calibration to correct.

Setting the Phantom down with the right rear leg right next to an electric motor (ie. drill) or refrigerator magnet can cause this. Bottom of that leg is where the compass is located.

People with earlier Phantoms may remember Colin Guinn's video showing how to wave a magnet around the compass while comparing compass variable readouts on the Phantom Assistant to demagnetize the compass. There is no comparable procedure available for the P3.

All you can do is be careful to avoid magnetic sources where you set Phantom down.

So I nearly had a fly away at the weekend but thought when I had done the calibration of the RC and IMU and got the app working properly it would be working perfect but no..

I'm getting these warning now when I try connect and the last time it connected and I flew it I nearly lost it so don't know what to do...

When I got these warnings I was at least half a mile from anything that could interfere with it also..
On Phantom 2 the compass would need to be demagnetized with a magnet to clear it. This would happen when you got a magnetized screwdriver to close to the compass. Sorry don't remember the procedure. But this could be same problem as what was happening with the P2's.

I believe I had the same or very similar warnings when trying to launch my phantom from the tonneau cover of my truck. I moved it about 6 feet away from my truck and had zero problems. Haven't seen it since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic